"Hotlinks" - June 25, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
pookie

Post by pookie »

Scott M wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:36 pm Hopefully the booze washes away the horrible song from my teen years that solving put in my head.
I did that wrong. I was quoting Scott M.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

SusieG wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 pm I’m with Isaac…crazy work-week and my husband scheduled a crazy weekend for us (to get me “out of the house”), so I may not finish this week. I’m hoping for rain.

Is it a faux pas to bring a crossword (or two) to a baseball game?
Nah. Plenty of time to work on the crossword and watch the game. You will look like you are keeping stats. Don’t lots of people do that🤷‍♀️
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On shore, I believe.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

ImageGrid done, working (hard) on meta. Saw what is below in the liquor store today. No further comment.
1FD20509-F126-4854-B8D5-8B5D44933B45.jpeg
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SusieG wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 pm I’m with Isaac…crazy work-week and my husband scheduled a crazy weekend for us (to get me “out of the house”), so I may not finish this week. I’m hoping for rain.

Make sure your husband brings a glove to the game. Back when Sox tickets were affordable, I took my wife to the game. She spent the entire time reading a book and I spent the entire time worried about a foul ball line drive.

Ask @Wendy Walker about taking the puzzle on "date night".
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

P1h3r1e3d13 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:58 pm Grid was very easy, but I'm clueless about the meta. 🤷‍♂️
Welcome to the muggle family. You have just taken over as the hardest blog name to type. :lol: :lol:

For my own sanity, could you explain your blog name. It looks like something that is required for a secure password. All you need is a symbol or two.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

no, I think we should all try to solve it!! 😂
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Fred!!! amirite?
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:19 pm
P1h3r1e3d13 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:58 pm Grid was very easy, but I'm clueless about the meta. 🤷‍♂️
Welcome to the muggle family. You have just taken over as the hardest blog name to type. :lol: :lol:

For my own sanity, could you explain your blog name. It looks like something that is required for a secure password. All you need is a symbol or two.
Phred 131313?
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Phred honey, speaking as someone who calls herself Sreh26, 😂 , which bears only the most remote and convoluted relation to anything, you are under no obligation to explain it to anyone. I know this stuff can be very personal.💝
femullen

Post by femullen »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:10 pm
femullen wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:03 pm
Jacksull wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:42 pm

I have always wondered about the nickname “the Habs” for the Montreal team. Is it pronounced habs or abs? Shouldn’t it be “Les Habs” or even “Zabs”. Do French Canadians use Habs or do the just say Les Habitants?
It's usually pronounced "Habs," with the normal H sound, as also in House, though francophones sometimes elide the H, as, I suppose, would Cockneys. I would prefer your idea of "abs," but, sadly, I no longer have any.
In Boston, there are usually a few expletives associated with them no matter whether you say them in English or French. Kind of like Bucky **&%% Dent but who carries a grudge.
Bucky Dent. Well do I remember him, God rest his soul. I remember watching that game (and that play: palm, forehead) shortly after moving from LA to Boston. Sox in the World Series that year, Patriots in the Stupor Bowl, and in the middle of a multi-year Lakers-Celtics NBA series. Lived in Beantown for the next 25 years. What a great sports town is Boston! But in hockey, I am a Montréal boy. To borrow from my Red Sox friends, I cheer for two teams: Montréal and whoever is playing Toronto.
Last edited by femullen on Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am definitely on the SHip and I am amazed at those of you who made it to shore in wARP speed. Played a little SHuffleboard, thINNED out the stern garden a bit (hope you don't mind MaineMarge), and HAuled out my binoculars to see what was flying by. And now I am perched on my barstool gaWKing at the puzzle and getting nowhere. I keep reminding myself that I've got two more days to figure this out.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

been on shore since early yesterday evening/late afternoon.

it's really getting crowded here.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I think I've got this one this time.

One can never be too sure these days.

(0 for 2 last coupla weeks)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

Made it to shore. Feels good after last weekend.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I didn't feel like there was any danger of a pageant, but at one point in my solving process there was definitely a different eight-letter word that I was very sure, based on what I had so far, would end up being the answer. Fortunately, by now I know better than to trust my instincts where metas are concerned :-)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

SusieG wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:00 pm
A faux pas? Most certainly not! Your friends and family will soon get used to seeing you working on a puzzle at ANY sporting or social event. You should develop an "elevator speech" explaining to them that even though it LOOKS like the puzzle is complete, this is not a normal crossword. At this point there's a really good chance their eyes will glaze over; if not, you may have identified a prospective Muggle.
As our Cruise Director pointed out, I have brought my puzzle clipboard along to Date Night, restaurants, volunteer board meetings, fundraising galas, my nephew's track meets, family get-togethers, road trips, airplanes, the gym ... the list goes on.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On shore. I was trying to make a MGWCC week five out of this. Four pages of notes. When I finally simplified my method I found the answer in five minutes.
Last edited by lbray53 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

I think I'm ashore now - the ship has been getting old these last few weeks!
boharr

Post by boharr »

femullen wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:35 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:10 pm
femullen wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:03 pm

It's usually pronounced "Habs," with the normal H sound, as also in House, though francophones sometimes elide the H, as, I suppose, would Cockneys. I would prefer your idea of "abs," but, sadly, I no longer have any.
In Boston, there are usually a few expletives associated with them no matter whether you say them in English or French. Kind of like Bucky **&%% Dent but who carries a grudge.
Bucky Dent. Well do I remember him, God rest his soul. I remember watching that game (and that play: palm, forehead) shortly after moving from LA to Boston. Sox in the World Series that year, Patriots in the Stupor Bowl, and in the middle of a multi-year Lakers-Celtics NBA series. Lived in Beantown for the next 25 years. What a great sports town is Boston! But in hockey, I am a Montréal boy. To borrow from my Red Sox friends, I cheer for two teams: Montréal and whoever is playing Toronto.
Um, Bucky Dent is still alive. It's Bill Buckner who has passed. No matter. Both shall live in our memories forever. Go Habs Go.