"A Sail of Two Cities" - June 18, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Dragged to shore. Currently enduring chest compressions.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

I'm keeping Isaac company at the moment. I feel like I'm so close, but not seeing the final piece.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

aaaaaa-HAAA! On shore... FINALLY.

That one took me a long time. A couple rabbit holes kept being SO promising, though they dead-ended. Had to force myself to back out of them and just try different mechanisms that I had seen in previous metas. One finally worked.

I now understand a couple other comments here. I also have a speculation about the results that I'll keep to myself for now.

The streak continues. I'll be on my honor when I get to next week's puzzle, as I will be completely off the grid from Wednesday until Monday. Floating through the Grand Canyon for six days. (Well somebody's got to do it...)
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:31 am Our Saturday noon status is a little early but movement to the shore has been slow
The good news is that we welcome our newest muggle regfish7 (and mom)
The other good news is that Isaac appreciates the business.
Hi, Bob!
Yes, welcome my daughter (Regfish7) to the muggles but I’ve been here for a year! I got my daughter into solving the WSJCC a few months ago with me and finally encouraged her to join our illustrious group! Hopefully (for my sake) we can still consult from time to time! Lol! So far, she has proven to be a great swimmer on her own!
Ergcat (Elaine)
SilviaV

Post by SilviaV »

Ashore! (On the sand bar part of the shore.)
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Finally on shore. My initial thought from Thursday was the way to the beach. Just now got it to work. This is a tough meta.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Next to no time to work on this. I've actually travelled by plane to visit family for the first time since the plague. But I'm sitting here with a few moments, so I thought I'd stop by to say that whenever I'm confronted with a meta and a freaking [spoiler redacted] is clearly involved, I panic and crawl in a hole. So here I am. In a hole. Weirdly, Isaac is here as well. Hope you all are having a great Father's Day!

Sorry about the spoiler! I thought it would be ok, especially since I had no time to actually solve the thing. But I guess I was closer than I thought. Anyway, mea maxima culpa!
Last edited by Joe on Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
rolias

Post by rolias »

Started swimming Friday night and got on shore five minutes ago. Lot of hours in the deep yesterday makes this one a five for me.

One serious Lapin hole but even after that it took a while.
Last edited by rolias on Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoungestCopperRiver

Post by YoungestCopperRiver »

CopperRiver wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:37 pm Finally on shore. My initial thought from Thursday was the way to the beach. Just now got it to work. This is a tough meta.
Newly moved home after finishing my undergrad, and she has already gotten me hooked on the weekly meta again. Needed help getting it started, but ask her who solved it first!! Thanks for the help, Mom! (:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Ergcat wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:33 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:31 am Our Saturday noon status is a little early but movement to the shore has been slow
The good news is that we welcome our newest muggle regfish7 (and mom)
The other good news is that Isaac appreciates the business.
Hi, Bob!
Yes, welcome my daughter (Regfish7) to the muggles but I’ve been here for a year! I got my daughter into solving the WSJCC a few months ago with me and finally encouraged her to join our illustrious group! Hopefully (for my sake) we can still consult from time to time! Lol! So far, she has proven to be a great swimmer on her own!
Ergcat (Elaine)
Great to have you both. And one of the great things about this blog is the ability to consult.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

YoungestCopperRiver wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:44 pm
CopperRiver wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:37 pm Finally on shore. My initial thought from Thursday was the way to the beach. Just now got it to work. This is a tough meta.
Newly moved home after finishing my undergrad, and she has already gotten me hooked on the weekly meta again. Needed help getting it started, but ask her who solved it first!! Thanks for the help, Mom! (:
Great to have you back. keep an eye on Mom.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

On shore, once again with help. Have a nice rest of your weekend everybody.
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

We need a nudge to get us onto that final step, if anyone would be so kind. I'd be happy to share what we have so far.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Dragged onto shore. I actually had landed on a different beach and ready to order a Mai Tai when I was informed that I was on the wrong beach. Never in a million years would I have been able to reach the correct one without a tow. Definitely a 5 star in my books!

And I am definitely not submitting...except for my first answer. Am curious if anyone else followed the same incorrect path that I did!
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

After hanging out with Isaac for two days we finally took that swim to shore with a very kind assist from Wendy. We learned a lot this week and feel like we are getting stronger with practice. Happy Father’s Day to all.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

On the beach, finally.
I jumped out of the boat I was paddling and @boharr threw me a life preserver from the shore.
Sometimes it takes a village.

Edit: Nothing to do with the meta, just wanted to say that here in Spain, we are finally speeding up Covid vaccinations nicely. Yesterday I got my first jab! Happy to be doing my part.
Last edited by tigerfly222 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chad8484

Post by chad8484 »

On shore for the first time! Needed quite a bit of nudging, but now I'm hooked and will see how far I can get next week!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Still at the bar and enjoying it too much! I'm in the right area and am now looking through other Gaffney puzzles to gain inspiration.

I will keep at it, switch to tea, and see what may come.
Kevin
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

stmv wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:40 am Ugh, I got a late start due to visiting family, but even so this took me *way* much longer than it should have. I saw 90% of it very fast, and was treading water within sight of the beach, but I just could not close the deal. Then suddenly while brushing my teeth it hit me, that I had overlooked a common mechanism, and I was even able to guess what the answer was going to be before I worked out the details. Better late than never, and now I'm 100% on the beach, exhausted but pleased.
I don't think the mechanism is all that common. Maybe it is if you do LOTS of metas.
Cynthia
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I am now on shore, thanks to a nudge from Meta Daughter, and thanks to those who nudged HER. We were in the 90% group. I'm sure I've seen this mechanism before, but I can't remember when. If anyone else remembers, please tell me on Monday.
Cynthia