"A Sail of Two Cities" - June 18, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I am on my usual bar stool at Isaac’s. I’ve seen one thing, but have no ideas that have led to the next step.
Cynthia
sfed

Post by sfed »

long time reader, first time poster. ashore!
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

Struggled a little with the last bit, but I’m on shore.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore!
I was the first solver (or one of the first) the last time Matt used this mechanism. However, I totally blanked out on it this time.
Didn't see it until just now. Chalk it up to Covid-19 induced brain rot, Doh!
femullen

Post by femullen »

I think I have every bit of it except the final Aha insight. I imagine it's staring me in the eyes. Meanwhile, there's no better band than Isaac and the Bar Flies.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Still on the ship, in the same place as most of you that are with Isaac. I'm determined to crack this one though!
Heidi
Olof

Post by Olof »

On shore. A sweet meta, not too hard, not too easy. I think this week I'll have a Pisco (a nice five letter word, no?)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

hcbirker wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:43 pm Still on the ship, in the same place as most of you that are with Isaac. I'm determined to crack this one though!
I'm right there with you, Heidi! Yesterday the house museum where I volunteer had its first post-COVID shindig and they HAD THE NERVE to schedule it not only on a Thursday but in prime puzzling hours, from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. (My suggestion to hold it on a Friday fell on deaf ears.) Our guests were so happy to mingle that I didn't get home until after 8. My brain must be zonked from making small talk: I have the grid done, and have identified what I believe are Steps 1 and 2, but that's it so far!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

The rule (for me) is no nudges. Over on MGWCC I sometimes ask for a nudge since there is a “non solo solve” button you can click. Here I just keep thinking about it until the bitter end. Other people have different rules and that’s ok too.
wb93

Post by wb93 »

Most of the way there. Could use a little coaching to clear into shore. Would appreciate a PM from someone who could help.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Still on the boat, [spoiler redacted]? Only need five letters for the meta, [spoiler redacted], please bring me a Jamison's neat for some inspiration.
Richard

Post by Richard »

On the beach.

Did get a nudge.
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

Okay it's nudge time for me. I was 'sailing' through this confidently yesterday, thought I figured out some significant things, moved through it thinking I was headed for a page one and then I just came to a screeching halt. Nothing I'm trying is making any sense and now I think I've started overthinking it and going down rabbit holes.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Sudden enlightenment got me to shore!
woozy

Post by woozy »

well, i'm determined to get this. But it's going to be hard if I don't keep on repeating the same idea over and over again. It's just really hard to think of anywhere to look, or what is more likely, to look where I am looking but in any angle.... I don't want a nudge yet but... I dunno, I'm curious what it felt like to get the final aha moment and... Oh, I don't know. I've got to think of something else eventually.
Latest meta: Never forget... and never mind (A WSJ retaliation)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

In a big City
Composing a Ditty
Aiming for Witty
or a big hit-ty
Will settle for Pretty
There goes the Kitty :?

Two cities and a sail
hope there’s no hail
or a big whale 🐳
we wont be pale
the bread will go stale
but what the hay-el

Bored
out of my gourd
don’t breathe a word
would be untoward
at least Im shored 🏖
praise the L-rd

Way too much thinking
Not enough drinking 🍸
Ship may be sinking
no glasses klinking
At least Im blinking

A year spent at home
wish it were Rome
or on the Somme
writing a tome
instead of a poem

Grew up on Ogden Nash
Writing for Cash
Even got the Sash 🧑‍🎓
Flew by in a Dash

Eviction Moratoria
Hallelujah Gloria
Not so much Euphoria
nor shopping at Emporia

Don’t pay the rent
don’t have a cent
somehow it was spent
no idea where it went
don’t live in a tent
LL will relent

yes I’m fine but its been quite a year!
Last edited by SReh26 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:36 am, edited 11 times in total.
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

Finally on shore. Needed some nudges from mom. Turns out I made it a little too complicated at the end. Enjoying some muscadet wine 🥂
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Still here with 5-letter Isaac. Here are some more five letter words to enrich our evening as we hope to sail toward Mugsville
7129FA09-B76A-4585-ABFC-7DBF7252BC2F.jpeg
Peony, field, lawns, trees,green, Maine
🙋‍♀️ Marge
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Annabelle wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:41 pm Still on the boat, [spoiler redacted]? Only need five letters for the meta, [spoiler redacted], please bring me a Jamison's neat for some inspiration.
Don't you love it when you are on the boat, in some deep rabbit hole and you have not one, but two spoilers redacted. And you still have no clue why what you said was a spoiler. - been there, done that
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Annabelle wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:41 pm Still on the boat, [spoiler redacted]? Only need five letters for the meta, [spoiler redacted], please bring me a Jamison's neat for some inspiration.
In Post 41 this week I wrote "On Shore" followed by a one-sentence attempt at casual humor regarding this status. Sixty or so seconds later It hit me that my casual comment contained -- gasp! gasp! gasp! -- a completely inadvertent spoiler (or two?) and luckily I was able immediately to delete the added comment. I think one person may have seen it (since someone "liked" it and there is nothing in "On Shore" worth a like). It would be interesting on Monday to see what was redacted from your post.