Q&A With Matt Gaffney June 29

This is a place to learn about the Muggles community and some of the terminology we use. It also contains suggested strategies for solving meta crosswords, as well as a repository of all past WSJ crossword contests and solutions.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Q&A With Matt Gaffney June 29

Post by Bob cruise director »

We have set up a Question and Answer session with Matt Gaffney on Tuesday June 29 at 7:30 pm ET. Because of the expected number of people we will be using a different zoom link which I will publish in a couple of weeks.

Everyone is welcome, both experienced meta participants and new ones.

We will use a different format than our regular free for all. I will be the moderator and mute everyone. To ask a question of Matt we will have it so you can raise your hand electronically or send a question using the chat. (if that does not mean anything to you come to the zoom training session).

If you are not familiar with Zoom we have plenty of time to bring you up to speed. I can either run a group training session(s) or individual ones. If you are interested, send me a PM and let me know your preference.

For those new to zoom, it is free (we like that), you don't have to download anything onto your platform, it works with all PC and Android products as well as all Apple products and you don't have to be a computer whiz to use it. It is better to have a large screen especially if you have old eyes but it works fine with phones and tablets.

If I missed anything please let me know.

Matt is looking forward to it. It should be a lot of fun.

Bob
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

So cool! Thanks to Matt and everyone that helped to set this up! Looking forward to it!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Wow!! That’s great! I’m looking forward to it.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Any chance you could record this so that people who can't be there live can watch it later?
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Wonderful! I am so looking forward to this!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 pm Any chance you could record this so that people who can't be there live can watch it later?
Will do
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:08 pm We have set up a Question and Answer session with Matt Gaffney on Tuesday June 29 at 7:30 pm ET using our regular zoom link.

Everyone is welcome, both experienced meta participants and new ones.

We will use a different format than our regular free for all. I will be the moderator and mute everyone. To ask a question of Matt we will have it so you can raise your hand electronically or send a question using the chat. (if that does not mean anything to you come to the zoom training session).

If you are not familiar with Zoom we have plenty of time to bring you up to speed. I can either run a group training session(s) or individual ones. If you are interested, send me a PM and let me know your preference.

For those new to zoom, it is free (we like that), you don't have to download anything onto your platform, it works with all PC and Android products as well as all Apple products and you don't have to be a computer whiz to use it. It is better to have a large screen especially if you have old eyes but it works fine with phones and tablets.

If I missed anything please let me know.

Matt is looking forward to it. It should be a lot of fun.

Bob
:D :o :shock: :D
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

This will be great! Hooray!
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 pm Any chance you could record this so that people who can't be there live can watch it later?
Barbara - I believe that since Sal has a paid zoom account we can record to the cloud and distribute the link but will check it out.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I promise I'll limit my questions to 676, one for each meta thus far.

Can't wait!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Several procedural items for the Q&A with Matt Gaffney on Tuesday June 29 at 7:30 pm.

We will be using a different link than the one that is used for the normal Tuesday get together. I will post the link on June 17th.

Since I anticipate a larger than normal number of participants, we will have to be a bit more formal than the free for all that we have on Tuesday. At the start of the meeting, I will mute everyone and introduce Matt

At that point, you can submit questions by either raising your hand or sending a question in Chat. I will call on people and you can unmute yourself and ask Matt your question. If Matt has already answered your question, simply lower your hand or think of another question.

If you are not familiar with Zoom please PM me and I will bring you up to speed. Zoom has a feature where you can hit a button called "raise your hand" and two things happen - 1) a digital hand gets shown on your picture and 2) your picture goes to the top of the page with all the other people who have their hands raised.

For all of our benefits, could you have both your blog name and your real name on your picture. You can change the name shown by clicking on the blue square in the upper right hand corner of your photo where there is an option to "rename".

Enable your video is you can.

If you have any problems, go to the blog and PM me so we can resolve it.

The system can accommodate 300 users.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

@Bob cruise director ,
Will you be accepting questions in advance?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Meg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:23 pm @Bob cruise director ,
Will you be accepting questions in advance?
Absolutely. I will solicit them this week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ajk

Post by ajk »

8-) Very exciting stuff.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

A few more details on the Q&A with Matt Gaffney on June 29.

1) The Q&A will be recorded and will be made available to everyone soon after the 29th

2) The link to the session will be available to muggles after June 17th

3) A good suggestion came out of our Tuesday zoom link. Matt is going to pick out one of his favorite MGWCC's from the past and we will post it here for everyone to do so we can use that during the Q&A to discuss various aspects of creating a meta.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Q&A, or zoom.

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

A quick note which will be posted a couple of places here. Tomorrow Matt will be sending over one of his early MGWCC that we can all do as a discussion topic for June 29
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:26 pm Several procedural items for the Q&A with Matt Gaffney on Tuesday June 29 at 7:30 pm.

We will be using a different link than the one that is used for the normal Tuesday get together. I will post the link on June 17th.

Since I anticipate a larger than normal number of participants, we will have to be a bit more formal than the free for all that we have on Tuesday. At the start of the meeting, I will mute everyone and introduce Matt

At that point, you can submit questions by either raising your hand or sending a question in Chat. I will call on people and you can unmute yourself and ask Matt your question. If Matt has already answered your question, simply lower your hand or think of another question.

If you are not familiar with Zoom please PM me and I will bring you up to speed. Zoom has a feature where you can hit a button called "raise your hand" and two things happen - 1) a digital hand gets shown on your picture and 2) your picture goes to the top of the page with all the other people who have their hands raised.

For all of our benefits, could you have both your blog name and your real name on your picture. You can change the name shown by clicking on the blue square in the upper right hand corner of your photo where there is an option to "rename".

My understanding us that there is also an option to dial in - for the shy muggles among us. Is that still accurate?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

SReh26 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:13 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:26 pm Several procedural items for the Q&A with Matt Gaffney on Tuesday June 29 at 7:30 pm.

My understanding us that there is also an option to dial in - for the shy muggles among us. Is that still accurate?
I believe that is correct and I will get out the number but I don't know how well it works because I have never seen it done. My suggestion is to go on with zoom and if you are that shy, turn your camera off.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

As advertised, here is one of Matt's favorites from the past that we can use as a discussion.

mgwcc094.puz

mgwcc094.pdf
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Meg

Post by Meg »

I have it! I guess there’s no way to submit….
Btw, it was a week 3.