"Cooking By The Numbers" - May 28, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

My first rabbit hole was seeing lots of food in the grid. For instance TOAST. Then I saw WHET (WHEAT) and YEAS (YEAST) and was off on a search for bread ingredients. Thankfully, I finally noticed ROMAN numerals and things fell into place.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:11 am I failed to solve this, and the biggest reason is the extremely large red herring of using only the 7 Roman numerals to begin each and every clue.
Wow that is amazing. I failed to notice that. Mike is brilliant!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

My favorite poem for this, Memorial Day.

Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210528 WSJCC Cooking By The Numbers.png
ajk

Post by ajk »

lol no mention of the clue starts. Guess the space is pretty limited. Maybe it was a coincidence. ;)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I think I forgot to post this week here, as I was travelling, but I did solve the meta and submit on time!
femullen

Post by femullen »

I never noticed that all the clues started with roman numerals. Instead, I came in the cellar door. I finally (after two days of blind gawping) looked at 66A, and thought, ok, find a number and convert it to Roman numerals. 51D was the only number expressed in numerals ("Founded in 1440"), which gives MCDXL. Locating the single instances of each of those letters in the grid pointed to "EGANO" (the preceding letters), which gave the answer. Another search confirmed that O and R preceded the only I and V, so that was it.

Can I have my mug now?
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
burak

Post by burak »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:11 am I failed to solve this, and the biggest reason is the extremely large red herring of using only the 7 Roman numerals to begin each and every clue.
Even though I successfully solved the puzzle, I really didn't like that gimmick. If this were a regular themed puzzle, very nice bow but this is a meta where anything out of the ordinary will be -and more often than not meant to be- construed as part of the final mechanism. That gimmick was one of the hugest red herrings I've ever seen and along with JOINS at 1-A made me spend hours try to join roman numerals with pertinent answers and clues.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Also, the Roman numerals appear in the grid with almost perfect symmetry, in order. That, along with a single appearance each, along with the initial letters of every clue? A bear of a construction process. A gem of a solve.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I too started by noticing the clues and that rapidly led me to noticing the Roman numerals in the grid. I treaded water there for a short while halfway ashore. On a brief bathroom break, a source of inspiration pointed out by DrTom in the MGWCC forum, the final click came. I walked up to the puzzle and wrote out the answer. My daughter in law asked incredulously “did you just solve that?”. Yes I did. So like post enlightenment we need a term for this if not already extant. DrTom?
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Streroto wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:00 am I too started by noticing the clues and that rapidly led me to noticing the Roman numerals in the grid. I treaded water there for a short while halfway ashore. On a brief bathroom break, a source of inspiration pointed out by DrTom in the MGWCC forum, the final click came. I walked up to the puzzle and wrote out the answer. My daughter in law asked incredulously “did you just solve that?”. Yes I did. So like post enlightenment we need a term for this if not already extant. DrTom?
What about "mic drop" (mic being short for micturition)?
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:24 am
Streroto wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:00 am I too started by noticing the clues and that rapidly led me to noticing the Roman numerals in the grid. I treaded water there for a short while halfway ashore. On a brief bathroom break, a source of inspiration pointed out by DrTom in the MGWCC forum, the final click came. I walked up to the puzzle and wrote out the answer. My daughter in law asked incredulously “did you just solve that?”. Yes I did. So like post enlightenment we need a term for this if not already extant. DrTom?
What about "mic drop" (mic being short for micturition)?
Though I certainly do like MICturition Drop it is way too politically correct. As you might imagine I have several suggestions:
Elimination Illumination (or Elucidation)
Streaming the answer
Poop Scoop
Got to the bottom of it
Cracking the case
Shower Power
A Brush with success
Dental Decipher
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I have another but one has to accept the use of a Foreign language. Taking the French for shower and adding Denoument - might be a step too far?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

S, S, S, & Solve?
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:38 am S, S, S, & Solve?
Ah yes, a military term as memory serves - well except for the "solve"
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

We probably need a Zoom vote on the new term(s)
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 am
My dad used the 3S phrase all the time. Along with S on a shingle.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Streroto,

yes, in street vernacular, we call this a “swoosh!”
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

DBMiller wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:58 am
DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 am
My dad used the 3S phrase all the time. Along with S on a shingle.
My dad would just say SOS for creamed dried beef on toast.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

I must come clean and admit that although I solved the puzzle, I missed its brilliant finer points, including the single use of each of the Roman numerals in the grid and their exclusive use to begin each clue.

For no justifiable reason, I decided that the theme entries were the five omitting JOINS and ROMAN, and that I needed, as "Step 1," the first letter of RAW NERVES, the second of SEXTANTS, the third of EGGLESS, the fourth of SARACENS, and the fifth of ATE AND RAN, and then I decided, for "Step 2" that the resulting REGAN was "egg"-less, or at least O-less, so I added one at either end for the solution. Coincidentally, my misguided method yielded the same letters as the ones next to the Roman numerals, except that I selected the R in RAW rather than the one by the V in NERVES.

Anyway, that's my true confession for the week.