"Cooking By The Numbers" - May 28, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Kris Zacharias wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:49 pm On shore. RIP, Gavin MacLeod, Captain Stubing. This Love Boat theme in this forum takes me back to a conversation that I once had with a colleague, who described the art films or performances that he attended on weekends. Because at the time my husband and I were raising three young children and usually stayed home during the weekends, I replied, somewhat wistfully perhaps, that all we did on Saturday nights was watch "The Love Boat." It was followed by "Fantasy Island." Seeing Ricardo Montalbán in his white suit was at first jarring, since my initial impression of him was in his role as Khan in the original "Star Trek" series.
I watched entirely too much TV in the 60's and early 70's. I remember Ricardo Montalban's rich Corinthian leather commercial! And the wrath of Khan, of course. He's been gone about 10 years. His costar on Fantasy Island , the short French guy, died quite a long time ago.

Sorry to hear about Gavin McLeod. The Love Boat was corny, but I liked it!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

I’m calling uncle on this one. Just not my week.
Need to stop tonight and will be at the PGA tournament tomorrow.

Good mug luck to you smarty pants enjoying Memorial Day weekend on shore!
Konnie
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Finally firmly on shore! That’s some good cooking! I’ll have an iced coffee with Baileys!

Offering nudges if anyone needs. They are second hand nudges, though - used! 😄
Last edited by SReh26 on Sat May 29, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

There is an added treat in this one, as many have pointed out.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Janet wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:20 pm
Kris Zacharias wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:49 pm On shore. RIP, Gavin MacLeod, Captain Stubing. This Love Boat theme in this forum takes me back to a conversation that I once had with a colleague, who described the art films or performances that he attended on weekends. Because at the time my husband and I were raising three young children and usually stayed home during the weekends, I replied, somewhat wistfully perhaps, that all we did on Saturday nights was watch "The Love Boat." It was followed by "Fantasy Island." Seeing Ricardo Montalbán in his white suit was at first jarring, since my initial impression of him was in his role as Khan in the original "Star Trek" series.
I watched entirely too much TV in the 60's and early 70's. I remember Ricardo Montalban's rich Corinthian leather commercial! And the wrath of Khan, of course. He's been gone about 10 years. His costar on Fantasy Island , the short French guy, died quite a long time ago.

The costar was Herve Villechaize. For about 8 years I travelled to the LA area and spent time in Beverly Hills. I never could identify a movie star. One day we were in the bar of the Marriott in Canoga Park and I saw Herve - my only movie star
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
FirstMax

Post by FirstMax »

On shore. I did this on the plane back from Nashville. The puzzle itself took a small bit, but I felt like a professional with my Apple Pencil and no internet and honestly and truthfully I solved like in 5 minutes. Then my jaw dropped when I saw what the constructor had done. These metas really are an embarrassment of riches.
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

Update! Ashore! Firefly sweet ice tea vodka for me.

Still treading water...at least I'm off the ship this week. Still waiting for the Aha! moment.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On shore!
femullen

Post by femullen »

When I read that Dplass was giving up, I thought I might as well give up too, because he solves these things way more often than I do. Two and a half days of stupidly staring was just keeping me from more productive ways to waste time. Out of complete and utter desperation, I tried one more attack, and i am...

ASHORE.

This is one of those puzzles of which I'd ordinarily say on Monday morning, "I'd have never thought of that." I am still in awe of you who solve this stuff in literally five minutes.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:07 pm
Janet wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:20 pm

The costar was Herve Villechaize. For about 8 years I travelled to the LA area and spent time in Beverly Hills. I never could identify a movie star. One day we were in the bar of the Marriott in Canoga Park and I saw Herve - my only movie star
My neighbor in California used to work on stage sets, he met Herve once. Said he was a little cranky until my neighbor mentioned several things he'd been in, so he warmed up then. I think he didn't want to be known just for Fantasy Island.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

femullen wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:32 am When I read that Dplass was giving up, I thought I might as well give up too, because he solves these things way more often than I do. Two and a half days of stupidly staring was just keeping me from more productive ways to waste time. Out of complete and utter desperation, I tried one more attack, and i am...

ASHORE.

This is one of those puzzles of which I'd ordinarily say on Monday morning, "I'd have never thought of that." I am still in awe of you who solve this stuff in literally five minutes.
My sentiments exactly. I rarely discover the right path early on....I usually try many different wrong ones first. How do the early solvers go directly to the correct mechanism? (They must have learned to think like a meta constructor.)
Cynthia
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

FirstMax wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:25 pm On shore. I did this on the plane back from Nashville. The puzzle itself took a small bit, but I felt like a professional with my Apple Pencil and no internet and honestly and truthfully I solved like in 5 minutes. Then my jaw dropped when I saw what the constructor had done. These metas really are an embarrassment of riches.
“Would you believe six minutes?” Nice to see the 70s favorite G-man in an avatar.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

That "shore" was a challenging one for me, but I'm finally there. No better place to be this weekend in New England with this weather!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

CPJohnson wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:59 am
femullen wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:32 am When I read that Dplass was giving up, I thought I might as well give up too, because he solves these things way more often than I do. Two and a half days of stupidly staring was just keeping me from more productive ways to waste time. Out of complete and utter desperation, I tried one more attack, and i am...

ASHORE.

My sentiments exactly. I rarely discover the right path early on....I usually try many different wrong ones first. How do the early solvers go directly to the correct mechanism? (They must have learned to think like a meta constructor.)
I was close to giving up too, LAS for the duration, but then I remembered Churchill’s famous dictum, “Never give up. Never give up. Never, never, never, never!” Especially appropriate this memorial day. Churchill didn’t mention getting nudges, but they helped a lot too. Thanks to the nudge brokers!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Cap'n Rick wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:03 am That "shore" was a challenging one for me, but I'm finally there. No better place to be this weekend in New England with this weather!
Cap'n - the seas are a bit rough this weekend.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bskptkl

Post by bskptkl »

Grid no problem but it took a while to get the meta. Good one Shenk!
burak

Post by burak »

The steps are too obvious with this one but I can't seem to make anything of it. If anything, there are too many clues/things happening. This might be another THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING where I go "oh damn that's the one simple thing I didn't do and of course that would've lead to the answer".
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

I am with Isaac, with no hope of leaving my barstool except to visit the head.

RIP, Murray Slaughter. I will drink a toast to you.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday muggles

I just looked a picture of my grandkids swimming in the Maine ocean five years ago on Memorial Day. Not happening this year

We have 10 on the ship and 171 on the shore.

Joining the ship's crew are
Ed S
Janet
ImOnToo
Tom S
Burak

And getting to the shore since yesterday are:

Hidden in 3D
streroto
Susan G
OGuyDave
Ben B and son
PJM
ladybird
Blair
FirstMax
Cindy N
David K
Richard
Trey and Marion
Ann
mitchel674
Kris Zacharias
Deb
Jackie88
Joseph B
eagle1279
femullen
hunkra
Cap'n Rick
bskptkl

Have a good weekend and stay safe. Remember that the deadline is still Sunday 11:59 pm but the official answer won't be out until Tuesday so if you don't get the email that you won on Monday, take heart it still may come
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director