"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Preterosso

Post by Preterosso »

Ashore! Had the method right, didn’t follow through until this morning. The light of a new day dawns…
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We have some very solid leads, thanks to husband mostly, that have led to gibberish. May have to ask for a nudge tomorrow but we have a streak on the line, so will not ask yet.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:25 am I have been dragged onto shore and will spend the week at the tiki bar watching someone worthy revel in winning the mug.
You and Wendy struggled with this one? My two trusted nudge providers? How can this puzzle just be a two star?

I might as well just give up now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

rosiegirl wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:13 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:25 am I have been dragged onto shore and will spend the week at the tiki bar watching someone worthy revel in winning the mug.
You and Wendy struggled with this one? My two trusted nudge providers? How can this puzzle just be a two star?

I might as well just give up now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
hang in there. This one is extremely prone to making slight mistakes along the way which will deceive you.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:51 am I also always carry blank grids when traveling in case I can't find a printer, especially this last year when many of my usual printer sources haven't been available.

Last Thursday, I was at a hotel with the business center closed, but the front desk clerk was happy to print the WSJ puzzle for me. When she handed me the puzzle, she also offered me a pen. How sweet was that!
Did you convince her to start metas and become a muggle?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

I am looking not for a nudge, but for a fellow rabbit hunter who hasn't solved yet who would be interested in a little mutual brainstorming...
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Mister Squawk wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:42 am I am looking not for a nudge, but for a fellow rabbit hunter who hasn't solved yet who would be interested in a little mutual brainstorming...
Just sent you a PM!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good morning muggles. A very tricky meta from Mr. Shenk and solving it is prone to making mistakes or bad assumptions so solver beware

We welcome several new muggles - Dana Whiting, Zagman49, hashbrownoholic, and clem

And if you did not see the first post, we will be having a Q&A session with Matt Gaffney on June 29 at 7:30 pm. See the details under Come Aboard.

So far we have 27 on the ship and 92 on the shore with varying amounts of life guard assistance.

Those keeping Isaac busy are
minimuggle
SReh26
JimJim
kdubs
Heidi
dap2180
cbarbee
Mike H
TeaJenny
Jennifer
Tom S
Jace54
Henry Paul
Susan G
whimsy
clem
ImOnToo
Ergcat
seahawks seashanty
rosiegirl
hashbrownoholic
MaineMarge
mlvilv
Olaf
TeamDoubleTow
wb93
JeanneC

and those on the right shore, a deserted island or the back of a whale are

sharkicicles
Al
Andrew B
sanmilton
Meg
Les
RPardoe
periperi
yourpalsal
Dan A
JetStream
Larrry
Kay
Barbara K
oldjudge
MamaE
Jordanian
Cindy
Lacangah
Bill
higgysue
hoover
Miki
b4alltime
Mmac
BrennerTJ
Laura
Bird Lives
Steveb
boharr
Tom Mueller
Cosmo
NDStegs
subtly
Joepickett
docison
dplass
David K
Tmart
meowmiao71
Tina
samandcam
Chris
Schmeel
CallMeShane
HeadinHome
SusieG
Gman
fstadler
Beth A
joequavis
Jim and Anita
Beth T
spotter
Doug C
Inca
Cindy N
iggystan
JaneGummy
jrdad
CPJohnson
Alan H
Josh
femullen
Eric P
Richard
ladybird
Janet
Ben B and son
Zagman49
Wendy
Beth C
Homer
Georgeall
EVJ
ky-mike
jhseeman
otlaolap
Brandon
ricky
cinemagical
Joe R
stmv
Moi
edot
John B
dk letter
JennyByrd
Dana Whiting
MatthewL
Dannyvee
Phil and Kelli
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On shore! I woke up in the middle of the night realizing what I needed to do. I resisted the urge to get out of bed and luckily remembered this morning and it worked. Coffee please!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Ok Im ready for a gentle nudge if anyone cares to give it. I’ve found almost all the wrong answers at this point, so Ive been working hard.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:19 am
BarbaraK wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:51 am I also always carry blank grids when traveling in case I can't find a printer, especially this last year when many of my usual printer sources haven't been available.

Last Thursday, I was at a hotel with the business center closed, but the front desk clerk was happy to print the WSJ puzzle for me. When she handed me the puzzle, she also offered me a pen. How sweet was that!
Did you convince her to start metas and become a muggle?
Not that I know of. But wouldn’t it be wild if one of our newbies chimed in here and said, yes that was me.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

SReh26 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:11 pm Ok Im ready for a gentle nudge if anyone cares to give it. I’ve found almost all the wrong answers at this point, so Ive been working hard.
Ive received one, so I’m chewing on that for a bit. Don’t need more at this point.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore! (Forgot to post last night.) Wonderful construction! That's going to be one of my favorites, I think. Reminds me a lot of [not saying now].

My iPad method was very helpful this time, in that we had the basics of the mechanism right away, but ended up trying a variety of things before getting it.

Excellent work, Mr. Shenk!
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

can I please have a nudge? I am utterly lost. I see lots of things that go together but nothing that leads to anything. thank you!
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

I am on shore. Amazing construction!
Check out my meta crossword writeups on Crossword Fiend: https://crosswordfiend.com/author/conrad/
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

After a few miscues, I swam to shore quickly. Bravo, Mr. Shenk! This one was brilliant!
-Doug Morack
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Done. Another amazing construction!
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Ashore finally, but with plenty of help.

My personal decision only is not to submit. But to all those on the ship, do NOT feel bad!!
Flying_Burrito

Post by Flying_Burrito »

That took time and paper but very nice how it all came together. Need a lot of aloe, spent way too much time in the water, but it was worth it (even if my wife thinks it's complete waste of time). Beer me cabana girl
Senor Guaca Mole :mrgreen:
KDubs

Post by KDubs »

Ergcat wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 pm
KDubs wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:19 pm
Schmeel wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:23 am
Many happy returns!
I, like you, celebrated my anniversary yesterday. But I knew better than to try to peek a glance at the puzzle until today. My better half is usually very tolerant of my interest in crossword puzzles - but I didn't want to push my luck!
Happy anniversary!! May 13 sure is a good day for love ☺️☺️☺️ I’m so glad metas are something hubs and I work on together — I couldn’t solve most of them by myself so I’d end up spending many hours alone every weekend trying to solve them, haha!
Today is my 38th Anniversary! Here I am staring at the puzzle hoping that I “see it”! My husband just said he’d take a look and help me (romantic gesture) but after 2 minutes he gave up! Ahhh, isn’t love grand! Looks like I’ll be in the Bar with Isaac for a while!
Happy anniversary!! I hope you solve it! We’re still keeping Isaac company as well. Who doesn’t love an anniversary weekend at the bar? 😂😂😂