"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
stmv

Post by stmv »

That was not easy, I followed many rabbits down many holes, but as I was falling asleep tonight (second puzzle in a row!) a bright idea came to me, I tried it, and it led me to the beach. Now I've gotten both WSJCC and MGWCC, so I can be relaxed the rest of the weekend.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ashore!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Yes, all you gardeners still here with Isaac grab some tools from the maintenance shop, and letโ€™s get that stern garden back in shape.
๐ŸŒท๐Ÿฅ€๐ŸŒน
My own spring garden is coming into full beauty now
38A981DC-FC0C-4EE2-A392-1C190B8741AB.jpeg
Yellow Donkeytail spurge, purple Anemone Pulsatilla,and spring bulbs near the apple orchard.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I have been dragged onto shore and will spend the week at the tiki bar watching someone worthy revel in winning the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
edot

Post by edot »

On shore! Happy weekend all :)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BethA wrote: โ†‘Fri May 14, 2021 12:37 pm On the beach at last! ๐Ÿ– Tricky one for me!

My brain hurts...mainly from clenching SO tightly to a nearly but not quite correct idea. Tea ๐Ÿซ– for now, wine ๐Ÿท later!
Even when Beth A and Beth T are not early posters, they have a mind meld - getting to shore with posts 117 and 120

Scary
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Cindy wrote: โ†‘Fri May 14, 2021 8:19 am
ChrisKochmanski wrote: โ†‘Fri May 14, 2021 7:03 am Iโ€™m there!

On shore, that is.

While traveling, which required me to draw the grid (on grid paper, which I handily brought along), which did NOT make the solving easier.

But worth it. Fun!

Dumbest sign? Well, I remember checking the directions on some kind of glue, that read something like: โ€œDo not apply in eyes.โ€
There are 15x15 blank grids you can print from the internet. I have a travel stash of those.
Yes, thatโ€™s what I do. Though of course I still need to fill in the black squares and numbers.

The silver lining is that drawing it all out makes you think hard about the grid and what might be going on with it.

Thanks!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: โ†‘Sat May 15, 2021 8:02 am Yes, all you gardeners still here with Isaac grab some tools from the maintenance shop, and letโ€™s get that stern garden back in shape.
๐ŸŒท๐Ÿฅ€๐ŸŒน
My own spring garden is coming into full beauty now

38A981DC-FC0C-4EE2-A392-1C190B8741AB.jpeg
Yellow Donkeytail spurge, purple Anemone Pulsatilla,and spring bulbs near the apple orchard.
Your pictures always manage to brighten my day! What a lovely garden. Je suis fascinรฉ!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

EVJ wrote: โ†‘Fri May 14, 2021 9:08 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: โ†‘Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 pm
Henry Paul wrote: โ†‘Fri May 14, 2021 2:02 pm The Mrs and I are hanging at the bar with Isaac. More than one person needs to rate the meta so that I can either (a) be continued to be depressed that it's a Level 1 and I'm stumped or (b) be encouraged that it's > 1 and therefore I'm supposed to feel depressed 'cuz it's difficult. ;-)
It has subsequently gone up to a Level 3. Not that that is of ANY USE WHATSOEVER to those of us on the ship!
Maine Marge, I've got a ton of annuals -- want to help me plant them on the sun deck?
Can I help? Iโ€™m not getting anywhere on the meta. Itโ€™s either plant bulbs on the sun deck or keep drinking whatever Isaac pours. I think Iโ€™m safer with you girls!
Be careful, that sun deck with Wendy and MaineMarge can get kind of wild
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

Completely lost at sea.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

On shore! Now off to run errands on a pretty Saturday
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore! What a fun puzzle to solve!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ashore! Had a stroke of inspiration this morning whilst sipping on my first cup of coffee, grabbed the puzzle for the umpteenth time and applied the mechanism and .... gibberish. But, quickly realized where I had gone wrong, tried again, and there it was. Funny thing is, I had guessed the correct 8-letter word yesterday but had no idea how to justify it. Whew -- agree with those that said this was a tough one. I bow down to Mr. Shenk's genius.
Matthew
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Bob cruise director wrote: โ†‘Sat May 15, 2021 9:20 am
EVJ wrote: โ†‘Fri May 14, 2021 9:08 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: โ†‘Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 pm

It has subsequently gone up to a Level 3. Not that that is of ANY USE WHATSOEVER to those of us on the ship!
Maine Marge, I've got a ton of annuals -- want to help me plant them on the sun deck?
Can I help? Iโ€™m not getting anywhere on the meta. Itโ€™s either plant bulbs on the sun deck or keep drinking whatever Isaac pours. I think Iโ€™m safer with you girls!
Be careful, that sun deck with Wendy and MaineMarge can get kind of wild
Exactly what Iโ€™m hoping for!!
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Ashore!
Looked at it with fresh eyes this morning and it came quickly. Terrific meta
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Having a late breakfast at the bar. Isaac is so accommodating! Grid done. Think I have a mechanism but will wait until I finish my coffee and eggs and toast. Beautiful blue sky and a gentle breeze this morning. Enjoy the day!
โ€œI cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this yearโ€™s fashionsโ€. Lillian Hellman
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Keeping Isaac company again so far. Iโ€™m not sure Iโ€™ll get to shore. I see some things and have some ideas, but itโ€™s not working out yet.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I also always carry blank grids when traveling in case I can't find a printer, especially this last year when many of my usual printer sources haven't been available.

Last Thursday, I was at a hotel with the business center closed, but the front desk clerk was happy to print the WSJ puzzle for me. When she handed me the puzzle, she also offered me a pen. How sweet was that!
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

You guys are ruining my weekend! I had an answer that I originally didnโ€™t love but was warming up to over time. When I read the posts in here, I donโ€™t think it could possibly be right. Now I will be doomed to a futile search for a solution all weekend. Or I could forget about it and relax, but thatโ€™s probably not going to happen.
wb93

Post by wb93 »

I am completely stumped.

Could someone kindly PM me a nudge on where to start on this one.

UPDATE: ashore now. Will be toasting Bohar for the helpful nudges.
Last edited by wb93 on Sat May 15, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.