"Following Directions" - May 14, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Grid was fine, but dead ends so far on meta. Maybe it will help to sleep on it.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Well, post-inspiration works quickly. I think I have found my way to the shore.
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore. Fun one - very Shenky.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Dplass wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 pm If gibberish is the answer I have lots of it! LAS.
Alas, GIBBERISH is a 9LW.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

hoover wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:44 pm
Dplass wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 pm If gibberish is the answer I have lots of it! LAS.
Alas, GIBBERISH is a 9LW.
I found TONS of 7 and 9 letter words.🤓 ALAS...🤬
Last edited by SReh26 on Fri May 14, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 pm
Joepickett wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:47 pm Lots of letters that seem to go with each other but I cannot make anything out of it.
Ok now I understand what I need to do. Post enlightenment huh?
Ok finally got it. I'm turning in. That was exhausting.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I actually thought of a really cool graphical nudge for this one.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

RPardoe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:50 pm Solved

And shocked to be on Page 1.
Shocked that you're shocked. In my mind, you've elevated yourself to one of this site's dozen-ish supersolvers in the last several months. I'd say muggles are used to seeing you solving quickly. Good work!
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

Isaac, another round.
Got the grid; stuck on the meta.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

MamaE wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:10 pm
sharkicicles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:16 pm
Larrry wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:06 pm Took a long time, but I think I got it, and it makes sense, and I loved it.
Love your user pic. RIP Calvert DeForest.
That's Larry Bud Melman to you ;)

I miss Dave....at his best he was amazing.
I'm at the age where early Late Night was still a bit over my head, but my parents let me watch it anyway, and Larry Bud Melman, Stupid Pet/Human Tricks, and things getting crushed by a steamroller will always be the foundation of things I find hilarious.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

sharkicicles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:56 pm
sharkicicles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:16 pm

Love your user pic. RIP Calvert DeForest.

I'm at the age where early Late Night was still a bit over my head, but my parents let me watch it anyway, and Larry Bud Melman, Stupid Pet/Human Tricks, and things getting crushed by a steamroller will always be the foundation of things I find hilarious.
My all time favorite was velcro night. Dave gets into a velcro suit, jumps off a trampoline and THWOCK - he's stuck to the wall. Perhaps the dumbest, greatest thing ever done on TV. I was still laughing after the commercial break. I'm laughing right now at the image of Dave trying to turn his head to the camera to go to commercial.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled struggle with the meta puzzle. Film at eleven.
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

Chris Elliott as Marlon Brando doing the banana dance...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well up until 10 minutes ago I was as stuck as Dave Letterman. Mine wasn't velcro but a stubborn unwillingness to do what I was told. Once I took my blinders off and got started the path was as clear as any Mr. Schenk usually comes up with. Very nice puzzle with a clear AHA.

On a slightly related note, did anyone else see that the answer to the Bonus Round on WOF Wednesday was PAGEANT JUDGE. I think the contestant had the letters
_ _ G E _ N T _ _ D G E

I yelled out PAGEANT JUDGE and my wife said "how in the hell did you get that?" It took a while to fill her in, and I got my usual head shake/eye roll. She told one of her friends the other day that I was a part of a group of Muggers that hold weekly Zoom meetings and yell back and forth at each other. I had to then explain it was MUGGLES, not muggers and why we had that name. I got the same head shake/eye roll from her friend...
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore (but only after swimming in random directions for a couple of hours). Lovely puzzle, lovely meta, and I’m glad to have my weekend free to lie on the beach and veg out ... 🤪.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, my weird sense of humor had me chuckling about this for about 70 miles.

We stopped at a rest stop on the way back from the Keys. In the Men's rest room, above and to the left of the hand dryer and sink was this sign:
hands free.jpg
Now surely I cannot be the only one to have ever marveled at the irony of this and the futility of announcing that nothing there needed hands except perhaps to read the sign? I'm not being insensitive mind you, just gobstruck that this was the only information provided. What exactly would you get from reading that sign if you were not sighted?

The only thing that might be less helpful was a similar type sign on the waffle iron at a hotel breakfast that read in English and Braille "DO NOT TOUCH WAFFLE IRON IS VERY HOT" (and I'll bet you somewhere that sign exists!)

What are the dumbest signs people have seen? Given our collective senses of humor there have had to be those that made you go "WHAT"
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

DrTom wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:05 am OK, my weird sense of humor had me chuckling about this for about 70 miles.

We stopped at a rest stop on the way back from the Keys. In the Men's rest room, above and to the left of the hand dryer and sink was this sign:

hands free.jpg

Now surely I cannot be the only one to have ever marveled at the irony of this and the futility of announcing that nothing there needed hands except perhaps to read the sign? I'm not being insensitive mind you, just gobstruck that this was the only information provided. What exactly would you get from reading that sign if you were not sighted?

The only thing that might be less helpful was a similar type sign on the waffle iron at a hotel breakfast that read in English and Braille "DO NOT TOUCH WAFFLE IRON IS VERY HOT" (and I'll bet you somewhere that sign exists!)

What are the dumbest signs people have seen? Given our collective senses of humor there have had to be those that made you go "WHAT"
well, if it was near the urinals, that probably would not have been the cleanest rest stop in the country.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

DannyWalter wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:33 am
sharkicicles wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:56 pm

My all time favorite was velcro night. Dave gets into a velcro suit, jumps off a trampoline and THWOCK - he's stuck to the wall. Perhaps the dumbest, greatest thing ever done on TV. I was still laughing after the commercial break. I'm laughing right now at the image of Dave trying to turn his head to the camera to go to commercial.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled struggle with the meta puzzle. Film at eleven.
Velcro Dave was another classic. And then there were the Super Dave Osborne interviews. I only learned recently that Super Dave was actually Bob Einstein, brother of Albert Brooks. Talk about the... Einsteins of comedy.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Had a sudden aha moment while I was reading my book. I put the book down and spent about an hour staring at the puzzle and made another realization. Still, it feels like I am nowhere closer to an answer than I was before.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

Oh boy, it finally came together. That was such a fun puzzle!
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore. That construction was magnificent!