"Bit Parts" - May 7, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening
Our final count is 9 on the ship and 234 on the shore

And we have our newest muggle - Erised

Two new muggles keeping Isaac in business for the week are
Debbie and Erised

And getting to the shore since lunch are
Anaerobe
hunkra
mlvilv
scraps
KscX
sf592000
Geezer Weezer
Michelle B
mikeh
Joseph B
Notbitter
FirstMax
rtwitchell
horsesense

The shore record is 250 so I will check tomorrow to see if we have had a late surge to shore
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

And I'm starting to wait until Sunday to start the grid, which helps me avoid obsessing until the end of the weekend.
Same here. I find I’m either going to get the solution fairly quickly or it’s going to be a “never would have.” If it’s the latter, I still lack the self-control to stop returning to try to solve it!
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

LOL, I hadn’t intended to open a can of worms but it does seem to have gotten sorted through in any case 😊
I do like the “submit and then ‘check’” suggestion, which takes away the “nudge” influence...
I continue to marvel at the cleverness of the the puzzle constructors and look forward every week to the challenge... Muggle On! ☺️
SamanthaA

Post by SamanthaA »

Cutting it close, but finally on shore.
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:01 pm
Scraps wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:49 pm Was on a literal boat when the puzzle came out Thursday. Disembarked yesterday. Arrived home this afternoon.
Obviously, the meta commanded my attention before the two week's worth of unread mail. Ashore. Fun puzzle.
If you are like me, even this meta took longer than sorting and throwing out two weeks worth of mail.
Still haven’t got around to the mail.

This meta sent me down only one rabbit hole, which I’ll discuss after midnight and was my own fault for trying to guess and force the answer.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

I’m good with this puzzle and meta, but am stumped by the theme of the WSJ Saturday puzzle “Bands on the Run”. The words in the paired sets of lights don’t appear to have anything to do with each other. What am I missing?
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Omnibus wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:00 pm I’m good with this puzzle and meta, but am stumped by the theme of the WSJ Saturday puzzle “Bands on the Run”. The words in the paired sets of lights don’t appear to have anything to do with each other. What am I missing?
The top set includes the name of a band. That band sits on top of a word associated with a run, like “ski” run or “beer” run.
meekmouse

Post by meekmouse »

Been doing the metas for a while now but it finally feels time to join the group!
Feels good to say I'm safely ashore!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore after a long swim. I was making it way too hard in one way, then found it harder than I expected in another. Finally saw the light—no doubt the tiki torch in the tiki bar. Happy to solve world peace once again.
Last edited by PHOFER on Mon May 10, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

Jace54 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:11 pm
Omnibus wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:00 pm I’m good with this puzzle and meta, but am stumped by the theme of the WSJ Saturday puzzle “Bands on the Run”. The words in the paired sets of lights don’t appear to have anything to do with each other. What am I missing?
The top set includes the name of a band. That band sits on top of a word associated with a run, like “ski” run or “beer” run.
Oh, thank you for explaining it. Makes sense now- it was bugging me all weekend!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

If it helps with the record @Bob cruise director --
I'm ASHORE after finally appreciating something that's been right in front of me since Thursday.
Capturebuninbox.PNG
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Ashore just before closing time... and I only got there with a hearty tow! I'm still glad to have been able to spend part of my weekend with a fun puzzle and some wonderful muggles.

Cheers everyone! A nice chamomile tea before bed for me
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Decided to look one more time. Now I see where I went wrong. I dug my own hole because I had a bad answer in the grid I was certain was correct, but sent me sideways.
On shore. Boy do feel I dumb - again.
Amy

Post by Amy »

Ashore 🏝
dpl11

Post by dpl11 »

Late arrival, but on shore
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:01 pm
Scraps wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:49 pm Was on a literal boat when the puzzle came out Thursday. Disembarked yesterday. Arrived home this afternoon.
Obviously, the meta commanded my attention before the two week's worth of unread mail. Ashore. Fun puzzle.
If you are like me, even this meta took longer than sorting and throwing out two weeks worth of mail.
A tip for all mail sorters… If your mailbox is at the end of your drive, just paint it bright blue… stencil one of those triangular recycling signs on the side… and then you never even have to take the mail out. Just leave all that junk paper for the recycling guys next week!
One world. One planet. One future.
PJM

Post by PJM »

I have been AWOL lately, but jumped back in late tonight and made it ashore before deadline.

Cheers all!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210507 WSJCC Bit Parts.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

17A - FUNNY PERSON - WIT (3)
30A - THAT FEMALE'S - HERS (4)
48A - TORIN'S RIVER - PO (2)
64A - PERCHED ATOP - ON (2)

BIT PARTS OF WITHERSPOON: REESE'S PIECES
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

Back in the day, AOL had a very vibrant trivia board. Scheduled daily games on various themes were held, with a very active and participating crowd. I wrote a couple of those games, and the community was amazing. Scheduled meet-ups occurred around the country, and it was pretty cool.

That was back in the day. This community is as close to anything I've seen like it since...back in the day. It's pretty cool.