"Bit Parts" - May 7, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LaPetiteFlora

Post by LaPetiteFlora »

We are onshore with our first instinct finally confirmed after many rabbit holes
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

Ashore.

I didn’t see anyone mention another “nudge rule”...

“If you receive a ‘nudge’ or ‘check’ then please do not submit an answer”
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning and happy Mother's Day to all the muggle mothers, grandmothers and any mothers to be.

It has been a busy muggle blog since yesterday as we now have 9 on the ship and 221 on the shore.

Joining Isaac in the ship's bar since yesterday are
joes
mlvilv
Diane

while making their way to shore are: (although a couple were there yesterday and I missed them in the crowd)

cbarbee
JimJim
OGuyDave
JeanneC
Grover
copperriver
Nalugirl
BreeZynCO
dudeski
zacmoretz
JennyByrd
rexthree
iblinked
Natalie
pookie
ColeTrain
TeaJenny
auee89
Big Mac
bread-girl
Colin
Collegetowngirl
ChrisWill
John77
eagle1279
sphorning
Burak
Wordsmith
Scott L
LaPetiteFlora

Have a great day all and good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:03 am
DianeA wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:42 am Still keeping Isaac company. Nothing is coming to light, but maybe inspiration will hit me while out on the golf course. That'll be my last hope since i've been struggling since Thursday evening.
There are no Par (2) holes, but I hope you birdie a Par (3).

Enjoy your game!
They're all Par 2 in Putt-Putt. Just saying.
Matthew
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Whew -- am finally ashore (Happy Mother's Day to me! :lol: ) Just checked my final answer with boharr and thankfully I was correct. Over-complicating per usual. I am wondering how many of us suffer from that particular predilection -- there's probably a special section of Isaac's reserved just for us. Ready for my chaise lounge and ice cold Whisky Sour (despite the lingering chilly temps).
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Kudos to boharr for helping us newbies learn to swim!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Horsesense wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:22 am Ashore.

what is a check? a confirmation that we are correct in our answer?
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

ashore but only with the help of a nudge. or two :)
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

On shore, I think. Submitted, but not clearing any mantle space yet.

Edit: Thanks SReh26 for the confirmation! Now I can focus on my Mother's Day quiche.
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Ashore.
I am a man of few...
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

SReh26 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:01 pm

A “check” is confirmation that you do or do not have the same answer as another muggle... and is essentially the same thing as a nudge.
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Horsesense wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:21 pm

A “check” is confirmation that you do or do not have the same answer as another muggle... and is essentially the same thing as a nudge.
ok, so next time, if I want to submit, I have to wait until Sunday evening to find out if Im right and celebrate victory - or else not submit. A tough choice if I ever heard of one! Devilish I say! Fiendish! But I will comply! 😃
boharr

Post by boharr »

SReh26 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:36 pm

ok, so next time, if I want to submit, I have to wait until Sunday evening to find out if Im right and celebrate victory - or else not submit. A tough choice if I ever heard of one! Devilish I say! Fiendish! But I will comply! 😃
In his wise nudge guidance, our esteemed Cruise Director has written: "Most muggles who get more than a gentle nudge may claim that they are on shore (solved) although some also stay on the ship (counted as unsolved) but won't submit to the WSJ - however all this is a personal decision."

I'm with Bob.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

boharr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:10 pm

In his wise nudge guidance, our esteemed Cruise Director has written: "Most muggles who get more than a gentle nudge may claim that they are on shore (solved) although some also stay on the ship (counted as unsolved) but won't submit to the WSJ - however all this is a personal decision."

I'm with Bob.
I guess this teaches the virtue of patience, then. I think it would be almost unbearable to have the answer and have to wait all weekend. Could cause dizziness, chest pain and acid reflux...

Who invented these rules? Lao Tzu? Machiavelli? 😂

I guess the good news is, usually when you get the right answer, it clicks and you know you’re right.
John77

Post by John77 »

Janet P wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:58 am
Scott Lindholm wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:27 pm First time on shore in about a month, so it'll be crowded. I'm vaccinated, so you can have a beer or ten with me.

And, fresh from the wilds of urban Chicago...
My daughter moved from the urban wilds of The Windy City (first Skokie, then the Ravenswood neighborhood) to the southern urban wilds of St. Petersburg, Florida. She kept hearing noises in the crawl space under her house and set up a webcam. This is the first she's seen of her guests during daylight!Alma's possums.png
If she keeps the camera set up, let us know when the armadillos displace the possums.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
KayW

Post by KayW »

boharr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:10 pm

I'm with Bob.
@SReh26 IMHO once you've submitted, you absolutely can check privately with other shore-claiming muggles to see if you got the same answer. It's like asking your classmate "whadja get on question 2?" after the exam's over but before the results are released. Not gonna change the result, but at least you'll know your score.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

ok - that sounds more fair!
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Was on a literal boat when the puzzle came out Thursday. Disembarked yesterday. Arrived home this afternoon.
Obviously, the meta commanded my attention before the two week's worth of unread mail. Ashore. Fun puzzle.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well my feeling is that if you get a “check” (I.e. your mechanism and answer is correct) then You did solve and SHOULD submit. If you were REALLY close and the check or nudges made it clear enough to submit the you should. If the nudge/check moved you 180 degrees or more then no because submitting at that point doesn’t really represent your thoughts but rather your budgers thoughts, if you Do submit you must include THAT you got help though not WHO helped.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!