Between Crossword Puzzles

A place to hang out, get to know other Muggles and discuss everything under the sun.
SReh26

Between Crossword Puzzles

Post by SReh26 »

Anyone care to share their expert strategies, tips and tactics for getting through the pandemic? Other than burying oneself in the crossword (admittedly one of the best tactics)?
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Various things I love to do (your mileage may vary!)

1. I subscribed to the newspaper three times a week during the pandemic - the actual, journalism-in-your-hands newspaper - and it has now become an integral part of my routine.

2. Reading! I am a voracious reader and set a record of 35 books last year and hoping to get to 48 this year.

3. Music/walking/podcasts - any mix of these seems to motivate me.

4. Other puzzles! I'm a big fan of logic problems and other math brainteasers and try to do those when the moment arises.

5. Rooting on the Cubbies with my parents! Not sure if you're a sports fan or not, but this is always a great centerpiece to our day (when they actually score some runs, hahaha.)

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 89. That's Not Right!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Read. Read anything. Just read.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Exercise! Lots of walks and weight training has kept me sane. And of course, this forum! Join us on our weekly Zoom call on Tuesdays. It's a lot of fun!
Heidi
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Thanks! When not WFH, I’ve been reading, exercising, doing some amateur photography, looking at some travel sites on IG. And of course reading WSJ and doing puzzles. This group is awesome, just joined recently. Thanks for the good suggestions. I love Mikey’s motto, above - less (sic) cross words, more crosswords!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Thanks, Joe. Much obliged!
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

MikeyG wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:00 pm Various things I love to do (your mileage may vary!)

1. I subscribed to the newspaper three times a week during the pandemic - the actual, journalism-in-your-hands newspaper - and it has now become an integral part of my routine.

2. Reading! I am a voracious reader and set a record of 35 books last year and hoping to get to 48 this year.

3. Music/walking/podcasts - any mix of these seems to motivate me.

4. Other puzzles! I'm a big fan of logic problems and other math brainteasers and try to do those when the moment arises.

5. Rooting on the Cubbies with my parents! Not sure if you're a sports fan or not, but this is always a great centerpiece to our day (when they actually score some runs, hahaha.)

Mikey G
Thank you! Where do you find the logic problems? Id like to try those. Also, any books you recommend? I’m enjoying all the free time in quarantine.
Last edited by SReh26 on Sat May 08, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m getting a puppy. Lots of exercising and bending of knees.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Meg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:08 pm I’m getting a puppy. Lots of exercising and bending of knees.
That sounds like a great idea.

I was going to get a Squishmallow (its a cute snuggle toy for kids), but Im not quite there yet. 😅

I was proud of myself for keeping occupied through most of this so far during lockdown but in month 14 I admit Im starting to be bored out of my mind, even though I’m enormously grateful not to have worse problems necessarily.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Peloton, Pokemon Go, and beer. Oh, and we adopted a cat a couple weeks ago. We know absolutely nothing about cats, so it has been interesting. And now I'm going to try to spend time with my sons, because they are both moving out of town this summer. One is only going about 90 minutes away, but the other one is moving 31 hours away....for five years. :-(

At least I have a cat now.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:01 pm Peloton, Pokemon Go, and beer. Oh, and we adopted a cat a couple weeks ago. We know absolutely nothing about cats, so it has been interesting. And now I'm going to try to spend time with my sons, because they are both moving out of town this summer. One is only going about 90 minutes away, but the other one is moving 31 hours away....for five years. :-(

At least I have a cat now.
Well, he must be doing something very important and you can be very proud of him.
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

I've started sports gambling...obviously your location and interest are key, but William Hill - a giant in UK betting, largely unknown in the US - lets you make $1 minimum bets on your phone app so you can get interested without getting yourself in trouble or having to sheepishly ask the guy at the bet window for the minimum bet. In 3 weeks I'm down all of $10.50 after Phoenix & the Lakers hit the over last night.

As for books - every time during the pandemic a celebrity has tweeted "I need book recommendations - something that has intelligence and heart but isn't overly difficult and won't make me hate the world even more", there's been a dozen replies of "Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series of murder mysteries". I'm enjoying those a fair amount....
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

MikeM000 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 am I've started sports gambling...obviously your location and interest are key, but William Hill - a giant in UK betting, largely unknown in the US - lets you make $1 minimum bets on your phone app so you can get interested without getting yourself in trouble or having to sheepishly ask the guy at the bet window for the minimum bet. In 3 weeks I'm down all of $10.50 after Phoenix & the Lakers hit the over last night.

As for books - every time during the pandemic a celebrity has tweeted "I need book recommendations - something that has intelligence and heart but isn't overly difficult and won't make me hate the world even more", there's been a dozen replies of "Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series of murder mysteries". I'm enjoying those a fair amount....
I'm a huge fan of David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series. Funny, great stories, informative legal insights...
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:52 am
I'm a huge fan of David Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter series. Funny, great stories, informative legal insights...
Thanks for the tip...these appear to be massively available as eBooks from my local library. I'll start "Open and Shut" sometime soon....
Meg

Post by Meg »

MikeM000 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 am I've started sports gambling...obviously your location and interest are key, but William Hill - a giant in UK betting, largely unknown in the US - lets you make $1 minimum bets on your phone app so you can get interested without getting yourself in trouble or having to sheepishly ask the guy at the bet window for the minimum bet. In 3 weeks I'm down all of $10.50 after Phoenix & the Lakers hit the over last night.

I’ve read all in the Inspector Gamache series. Always a great story with characters I’ve become attached to. I recommend reading them in order.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Meg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:19 pm

I’ve read all in the Inspector Gamache series. Always a great story with characters I’ve become attached to. I recommend reading them in order.
Never heard of the series. I'll check it out.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:34 pm

I have not read them all, but reading them in order seems essential. The author now seems to be collaborating with Hillary.

https://variety.com/2021/politics/news/ ... 234913226/

And Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse does cryptics. John Banville's crime novels are also very good. And Joe Nesbo.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

boharr wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:04 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:34 pm

I have not read them all, but reading them in order seems essential. The author now seems to be collaborating with Hillary.

https://variety.com/2021/politics/news/ ... 234913226/

And Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse does cryptics. John Banville's crime novels are also very good. And Joe Nesbo.
Surprisingly (to me), these are all new (to me). I was just writing @docison about some of my favorite authors and characters and the most common trait is that they are all flawed, sarcastic and dark, but with a good moral compass. Hmmm. Can a reader get typecast?
Meg

Post by Meg »

@Al Sisti the first Inspector Gamache book is called "Still Life". It takes place in a small town in Quebec, so it fits in well with my connection to Montreal.