#674 - "Please Form Two Lines"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

if this is your third week, don't worry about it. I've been doing these for about 18 months and for this one, I see things that MIGHT be a step one, but they're not coming together as I'd like them to.

Don't worry, next week will be a week 1 and should have a high solve rate.

Going to bed and not worrying about this one. I got the WSJ and Pandora's, 2 out of three ain't bad (yes, I went there).
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MamaE

Post by MamaE »

Whew! Pending confirmation - but beam me up! Thanks to those muggles whose nudges helped guide my thinking - especially @ajk!

Now it all starts again tomorrow with Muggle Meta Monday - bring it on! :)
- Just puzzling it out here in Delmarva :D
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I can hardly believe it but I think I just got it. 100% solo solve, awaiting confirmation.

Edit: that was a long wait :) , but confirmed!
Last edited by joequavis on Mon May 03, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Pending confirmation of beaming up.....
Thanks to the nudges from a muggle or two, especially @MamaE for pushing me away from my music.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sitting on the holodeck waiting in an unusually long week 5 line. Thanks to a life line from another Muggle, and an ironic twist of fate for me at least, I am ready to beam aboard.

Good, now I can start my vacation in peace!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

jhseeman wrote: โ†‘Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 am Pending confirmation of beaming up..... Confirmed.
Thanks to the nudges from a muggle or two, especially @MamaE for pushing me away from my music.
Crazy that Sunday night 10:30pm PT and I"m 95? Dang.
MountainManZach

Post by MountainManZach »

I'd love a first step nudge, if someone would be so kind. Normally I'd spin my wheels and resign myself to a fresh start next month, but I'm on the cusp of my first 5/5 in a decade!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Submitted, after a group effort. Pretty sure it's right.
breadbasket

Post by breadbasket »

Iโ€™ve noticed so many rabbit holes, but they donโ€™t lead anywhere. A small nudge would be greatly appreciated.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I just missed a leaderboard update, but the answer I submitted must be correct. I had stared at this since Friday without getting anywhere, I dreamed about it last night, and I got absolutely nowhere. Then suddenly today I started to see a pattern, and then I had the first step. Getting the next steps took some time (and some Googling), but that was relatively quick for me. I was tantalizingly close to the tree thing last week without getting it, so it is a big relief to get this one.

(Edited to add: I am indeed now officially beamed up.)
Last edited by stmv on Mon May 03, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Solved but needed so much help I may have some DNA from another solver when I rematerialize on the ship. Great puzzle. Looking back at my notes and spreadsheets I had everything that I needed to solve written down in the first hour.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Just getting started on this now. No ideas yet. Time is ticking. ๐Ÿ™„
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

higgysue wrote: โ†‘Mon May 03, 2021 7:05 pm Just getting started on this now. No ideas yet. Time is ticking. ๐Ÿ™„
Nothing like waiting for the last minute.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Solved, though only with nudges of the sort that would rate two free throws and possession in an NBA game.
Jay
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Bird Lives wrote: โ†‘Mon May 03, 2021 10:46 pm Solved, though only with nudges of the sort that would rate two free throws and possession in an NBA game.
I'm about to commit a technical.

So I'll just bench myself. There's always another puzzle on its way, just need to wait for the calendar.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
pewpliulaser

Post by pewpliulaser »

Solved! Thanks to a few nudges along the way :)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Iโ€™ll be interested to see if anyone else got caught in what I feel was an intentional rabbit snare? I mean Matt can plead another Ararat but this one was even more tempting and led in entirely the wrong direction.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

DrTom wrote: โ†‘Tue May 04, 2021 6:43 am Iโ€™ll be interested to see if anyone else got caught in what I feel was an intentional rabbit snare? I mean Matt can plead another Ararat but this one was even more tempting and led in entirely the wrong direction.
After being nudged along a trail to the answer I noticed that I had been on a much more direct path. Were two paths intentional? If so was that to increase the difficulty or to make solving possible for people with diverse backgrounds, ages and/or interest? I guess all is fair in week five.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
pewpliulaser

Post by pewpliulaser »

lbray53 wrote: โ†‘Tue May 04, 2021 8:30 am After being nudged along a trail to the answer I noticed that I had been on a much more direct path. Were two paths intentional? If so was that to increase the difficulty or to make solving possible for people with diverse backgrounds, ages and/or interest? I guess all is fair in week five.
Interested to hear about the second path! I was stuck in the rabbit snare until I got a nudge towards the right direction, I'm curious how my original thought could have led to the answer.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!