"Backcourt Fundamentals" - April 30, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well at least I go that one....

Been a bad week, can't solve Will's, can't solve Peter's, probably won't be able to solve MGWCC so an ONSHORE is welcomed. I'll try MGWCC tomorrow and maybe while on vacation but I doubt I'll get any posting done (I do not work well from a phone).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Done and dusted! I'm on shore.
I'm actually disappointed that it was a quick solve... after several weeks of promised-yet-nonexistent rain, we are finally having a proper rainy weekend in Barcelona. This would be perfect weather for sitting around solving the meta over multiple cups of coffee.
edot

Post by edot »

Quick swim to shore this week--have a great weekend!
wb93

Post by wb93 »

On shore. 100% on this one.
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

On Shore after a short hiatus. Been too busy at work - end of the semester and such.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:55 pm Hello, Muggles! It's Taylor Nakagawa from WSJ. As you might have heard, we've been working on a brand new course on how to master the contest puzzles, and we need your help!

A Muggle recently sent us a list of tips from the WSJ puzzle community and we thought it would be great to include your advice and stories in our course.

If you'd like to be featured in the course, please send your answers to the questions below *and a high-res photo of yourself filling out a WSJ crossword* to taylor.nakagawa@wsj.com.

- How long have you been doing the contest puzzles?

- What makes the WSJ crossword unique? Why do you keep coming back to our contest puzzles?

- What's your #1 tip when you get stuck trying to uncover the meta answer?

- What role have the contest puzzles played in your life over the past year?

- Where are you located? City/town and state, please!

We've already gotten some heartwarming stories about parents doing the puzzles with their kids over Zoom during lockdown and a poem that reflects on the difficulty of some meta puzzles. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your stories and tips!
For WSJ subscribers shy about sharing photos, an option is to use the WSJ's AI Portrait generator (which is used to create the stippled headshots of reporters in the paper & online).

Also, since it's Plug Saturday, please schedule a reminder to join the hour-long YourPalSal's Muggle Meetup - Zoom Tuesday Evening this week & following at 7:30 PM ET (4:30 PM PT). There's absolutely no reason to feel shy about jumping in!
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:34 pm I, like many others, over complicated this at the outset, being intimidated by the subject matter. But, even in spite of the fact that my husband - hearing me mutter out loud about the topic - kept making suggestions that threw me completely off - I am now confidently on shore. Whew. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Haha! Agree! But my husband actually helped me get on the right beach when he heard my mutterings! What seemed like nonsense to me made sense to him, and I was able to get on shore ! 😂
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

Ashore after a couple of unfruitful weeks. Whisky sour with 2 toothpicks of garnishes!
Colin

Post by Colin »

At first, grid gridlock;
Martini made it better!
Soon got the meta.
One world. One planet. One future.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On shore in sunny (and *windy*) NH.

At this hour, it's just coffee for me. Trying to work off that excellent martini Isaac made us last evening.
Rufus T. Firefly
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Onshore. Came to me while I was having my morning cup o Joe. Thanks, Joe!!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Happy Kentucky Derby Day everyone!

Todays drink special is the Mint Julep. Enjoy!

2 OZ. Straight Bourbon Whiskey
1/2 OZ. Simple Syrup
3 Fresh Mint Leaves
Crushed Ice

INSTRUCTIONS
STEP 1 Express the essential oils in the mint and rub them inside the glass.

STEP 2 To the same glass, add simple syrup, bourbon, and crushed ice.

STEP 3 Stir.

STEP 4 Garnish with more ice, fresh mint, and powdered sugar.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Cindy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:48 am
KscX wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:39 pm Ashore! I was trying to save the meta for tomorrow over coffee but my brain kept working behind my back. When it said “ahem” I had to get the grid back out to check and see if it was onto something...solved before I knew it, sneaky thing.

Mint juleps all weekend! Now that the threat of pollen is mostly over this far south we will do the traditional derby day porch washing then sit back and enjoy the race. Cheers and hoping for clean porches for everyone this spring.
Oh yes my husband reminded me last night that it is porch washing time in Matthews! At least we hired someone to do the traditional Mother’s Day weekend mulch this year.
It seems that the Charlotte area porch-owners are of like minds this weekend! :D My husband decided this morning that tomorrow will be cleaning day. I've been trying to convince him that some more pollen clouds could appear at any moment, but have been unsuccessful so far. Can't blame a girl for trying...
Sara
LaPetiteFlora

Post by LaPetiteFlora »

On shore! Was worried we might not have the necessary subject matter expertise but guess we knew just enough to pick up the trail!
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

On the beach of this Tar Heel!! Loved this one!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I have work today, so a quick swing by to say "On shore!" and make it on the list. Later!!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore. I think this is my first solve after getting just two theme answers.
ChrisWill

Post by ChrisWill »

We’ve done our first morning pass at the meta and as usual at this point we are stumped. I have a bad feeling this will be the weekend where the most obvious answer isn’t obvious to us. Isaac, give me a double.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I've made it to shore, submitted my MGWCC, and I'm off on my morning bike ride!
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Finally ashore. Felt like I spent way too much time on this one but it wasn’t as easy for me as it was for others. Since it’s still morning here in Los Angeles I’ll have a Bloody Mary with Grey Goose.