"Backcourt Fundamentals" - April 30, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Done and done on a Thursday night, what a rare event! Good luck, Muggles. Enjoying some chardonnay to celebrate.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ashore (finally). Saw something that I was sure was the right path, but it turned out to be a rather deep bunny hole. Took another look and the mechanism just jumped off the screen. Unlike last week, 100% on this one. Beer me.
Matthew
MikeM000

Post by MikeM000 »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 pm

She’s the one wearing a hula skirt, playing a uke in Oahu, and saying aloha offering you a lei. ( couldn’t fit Oreo in there).
Which one is she in the shadow of? Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:33 pm Question for @Joe Ross Have there really been more contests dealing with sports than knitting?
🤔 Three or four. 👨🏻‍💻

Wait... Am I to count PAGEANT, or not? Although before my time, it seems somebunny threw in several football games.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Hanging out with Isaac at the moment. What a difference a week makes. Last week I BReezed through the grid and meta--this week I am wearing a frOWN as I go THRASHing my way through this puzzle with nary an answER in sight. I've got three more days--but I also have lots of birding to do. For you Chicagoans, I am heading out to Montrose Harbor/Magic Hedge this weekend to see the celebrity piping plovers Monty and Rose. I'm sure that I'll get some puzzle time in as well.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

MikeM000 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:26 pm
hcbirker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 pm

She’s the one wearing a hula skirt, playing a uke in Oahu, and saying aloha offering you a lei. ( couldn’t fit Oreo in there).
Which one is she in the shadow of? Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa?
I prefer Mauna Kea. But Haleakala has Nenes.
Heidi
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Toes in the sand. Bourbon on the rocks for me please.

Ready for some Horse Racing this weekend!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

On the beach!

I expect a busy beach this weekend.

3 more contest metas until full vaxx bennies kick in!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
dap2180

Post by dap2180 »

Got the grid. After completely giving up last week, I'm doing my best this go. I think I need some sort of push in the right direction, as I'm not familiar with the topic at all...
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Ashore...streak still alive!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Didn’t have high hopes for this one.
1. The subject is NOT in my wheelhouse
2. Tonight through Saturday will be occupied with the grand opening of my husband’s newest building that he designed.

HOWEVER, I took time while unwinding before bed and am confidently ON SHORE!
Konnie
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore! I was trying to save the meta for tomorrow over coffee but my brain kept working behind my back. When it said “ahem” I had to get the grid back out to check and see if it was onto something...solved before I knew it, sneaky thing.

Mint juleps all weekend! Now that the threat of pollen is mostly over this far south we will do the traditional derby day porch washing then sit back and enjoy the race. Cheers and hoping for clean porches for everyone this spring.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

GAME, SET, (and) MATCH (no hard feelings from last week)

Solved and Submitted
jimmyd

Post by jimmyd »

I still think Three on a match is better BUT we can all agree on one answer this week! ;-)
seahawks_seashanty

Post by seahawks_seashanty »

On shore! Thought it was more complicated than it turned out to be.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Comfortably on shore, Trying to put down as many Caiprinhas as I can as I gird my loins for my first Gaffney Week 5.
dpl11

Post by dpl11 »

Onshore -- Corona, please.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:50 pm Relieved to be on the beach. Sports two weeks in a row plus superheroes in MMM?! Next week I want gardening, grammar, Lord Peter Wimsey, cookie baking, and knitting, please!
For those of us unacquainted with Lord Peter Wimsey, how would you recommend correcting this?
Olof

Post by Olof »

On shore. No doubts this week, but make mine a double.
M and M

Post by M and M »

dk letter wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:50 pm Relieved to be on the beach. Sports two weeks in a row plus superheroes in MMM?! Next week I want gardening, grammar, Lord Peter Wimsey, cookie baking, and knitting, please!
For those of us unacquainted with Lord Peter Wimsey, how would you recommend correcting this?
Correct by immediately purchasing and reading Murder Must Advertise - a nice start. Then follow up with Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night, and Busman's Honeymoon, all by Dorothy Sayers. My personal favorite is The Documents in the Case, but that does not feature Lord Peter.

As to the puzzle this week, it was easier to solve than any of the Dorothy Sayers mysteries will be. However, since we are not up to the standard of Lord Peter Wimsey, we will settle for being safely on the beach.