"This, That, and The Other Thing" - April 23, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

54 people on the forum at 12:13AM Eastern. 😃
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I've never heard of Three on a Match.
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

FrancesY wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:06 am No way! I was sure it was Three on a Match. 15A and 61A suggest One, Tue, Three.
“Three on a match” does not fit the theme: “”, “”, and “”.
Pembroke

Post by Pembroke »

There were three starred answers with references to tennis royalty:
STAN Smith
ARThur Ashe
MO Connolly

Also in a clue:
Steffi GRAF
Last edited by Pembroke on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I saw the tennis clue at 8 A (game) and Legos 48 D (set) as a sort of confirmation. Who knows? Just glad I got itl
Heidi
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Oh dear. I went for “Match in five sets” because I did not see any reference to a game but saw “lobber” and had five sets of group answers. And I was watching the Barcelona Open to boot! Lesson learned. I shouldn’t be so literal. Congrats to the winners!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

The problem I had with Game, Set and Match was that while it fit the A, B and (implied)C, there was no way to link Game and Set into the grid. So you are left to grab at straws and know the term Game, Set and Match. I thought that the linkage to Lobber was weak at best. Forcing the fit could be construed as linking to the answer to 20A "willing" for Game and for Set you could force 33A as Style fancily but again that is weak at best.

One other option was Three on a Match as noted. But you could not link that back to the grid or clues any better. (the term comes from WWI where three soldiers lighting cigarettes' from the same match gave a sniper time to aim at the light).

A third option was That Is A Match which links to the grid better since "That Is" is the answer to 64A. And we have 15A as Quarter of Four with the answer "one" and you apply that to 39D which is "AAAA" (an unheard of size for a battery especially in crossworddom) so 1/4 of AAAA is A for the completion of That Is A Match. The only problem with this answer is it does not fit the format.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

I'm on the "3 on a Match" train. Each answer to the clue consisted of 3 components. I felt that this answer was closer to the prompt than Game, Set and Match,
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Pembroke wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 am There were answers with references to tennis royalty:
STAN Smith
ARThur Ashe
MO Connolly

Also in a clue:
Steffi GRAF
But if you get into names, there were 14 names in the grid so the name link was not exactly limiting.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I thought the solution was fairly straightforward - I would have been 100% if "GAME" and "SET" were also in the grid, but I couldn't think of any other phrase fitting the format that had "MATCH" being "the other thing"

8A LOBBER helped confirm
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Commodore wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:30 am Aye, still asea. Deep in the hold, too. Weekend work on this n' that.
One of these is the old joist and one is the new. I think.
IMG_2527.jpeg
It rains on the joist and the unjoist.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

I was wrong. I didn't know the rule (is it a rule?) that the answer had to idiomatically follow the title. I thought that getting to the alternative answers and finding MATCH satisfied the directions. I stared at MATCH for a while. looked around, then saw Peter as the first part of the first alternative answer, and jumped right to Match Made in Heaven.

Feeling a bit unsatisfied. I don't see what was supposed to direct me to LOBBER to get the tennis theme. Maybe if I had somehow realized that MATCH was the last part of the expression, then, I dunno, maybe.
Last edited by DannyWalter on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Another "3 on a Match" submitter. I got "match" from the mechanism -- no doubt there -- I then thought "3 on a Match" could be the answer due to the 3 components but I wasn't 100% sure of this answer. But if I had thought of "Game, Set, and Match" I would have doubts about that answer as well because the rationale seems just as nebulous. None of these possibilities has that "aha, penny drop" moment. I'm putting this meta in my "not a fan" category.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:26 am
The problem I had with Game, Set and Match was that while it fit the A, B and (implied)C, there was no way to link Game and Set into the grid. So you are left to grab at straws and know the term Game, Set and Match. I thought that the linkage to Lobber was weak at best. Forcing the fit could be construed as linking to the answer to 20A "willing" for Game and for Set you could force 33A as Style fancily but again that is weak at best.
What Bob said.
I was actually on the beach since Saturday, and I didn’t even realize it. I submitted the correct answer as a Hail Mary right before the deadline. The A and the B part of each of the themers was found in the grid. The C part of each was implied. The A and B parts of the answer (GAME and SET) are not in the grid, which would have followed the pattern. Even the PDF of Monday’s puzzle gives a less than satisfying explanation of the contest answer.
All correct solvers deserve a mug on this one. :lol:
Last edited by Jeremy Smith on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abide

Post by Abide »

anaerobe wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:38 pm Many years ago while changing a particularly rude diaper on my youngest, inspiration struck. My two older girls (prob age 6 and 8) were in the room to hear it but unfortunately, none of us wrote it down. To this very day, the only part any of us remember is the third line: quick light a candle!
I assume you submitted "Who's got a match?"
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

Interesting discussion. As soon as we saw “match,” game set and match seemed the only possible answer. Not seeing game and set in the grid did make me nervous, so I came here to see what others were saying. Then finding that there were other possible answers sent me on a hunt for other types of x, y, and z phrases but I couldn’t find any.

Ultimately decided that if game and set had been in the grid, people immediately would have been able to guess game set and match without going through the fun discovery of the other x y and zs.

Hats off to those who noticed LOBBER and the other tennis connections!!
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Fans of the Oxford comma are very disappointed in the final answer.
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

Game, set and match was the only answer that satisfied the theme symmetry.

The A, B and C syntax was established by the title and the five asterisked clues which all required providing the missing word C. As in many other metas, we had to work backwards from the spelled out word, MATCH in this case and solve A and B.

Quite elegant despite lacking the smoking gun IMHO.

Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
steveb

Post by steveb »

Homer Buckle wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:52 am Fans of the Oxford comma are very disappointed in the final answer.
I actually thought about that (!) and decided to submit my answer with the Oxford comma, although I don't usually use one. Do you think it will disqualify me? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Per Wiktionary, the term is Game, Set, Match. An alternate form uses the "and".