"This, That, and The Other Thing" - April 23, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tom Mueller

Post by Tom Mueller »

What I thought was a fairly easy mechanism, ended up resulting in several possible answers. Usually I get that rock solid “aha” within in Matt's puzzles, unfortunately I didn't find it in this one. Since the clock is running out, I went ahead and submitted and will be looking forward to the solution explanation tomorrow morning. On the beach, I guess!
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

Tom Mueller wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:54 pm What I thought was a fairly easy mechanism, ended up resulting in several possible answers. Usually I get that rock solid “aha” within in Matt's puzzles, unfortunately I didn't find it in this one. Since the clock is running out, I went ahead and submitted and will be looking forward to the solution explanation tomorrow morning. On the beach, I guess!
I had the same experience. Just submitted to end the agony.
Jack Sullivan
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:45 am Our Sunday noon report a little early. The comments here and on crosswordfiend.com after midnight should be interesting. I have seen one answer that I can defend but is not a 100% one, another that makes a lot of sense but... a third that also that can be justified but doesn't quite

Good luck to all and our final report will come out tonight.
Of course you found three possible answers.... this, that and the other thing!!!😂😂
Janet

Post by Janet »

Very late to check in -- I have been ashore having fun. I went with the phrase that seems to fit the pattern best, there are other possibilities but I didn't think they fit as well as what I chose. I hope I'm not lounging on the wrong island! We'll see in the morning.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

On shore with a mechanism that seems to justify the exclusion of another possibility.

Hope I'm right! Good luck to all!
JustAQuickThought
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

Stuck at the bar. We got a helpful nudge, and believe we have the answer, but since it took a nudge, we'll just enjoy our drinks!

Congrats to those who solved.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I'm a paper-and-pencil solver. Ran out of ink before this puzzle came out and the stupid cyan cartridge hasn't come in the mail yet! So I had to solve this one on the laptop for the first time and really kind of hated it. I'm just used to thinking with my pencil.

But I got it.

Ashore!
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

Finally on shore. Solved the grid quickly on Thursday afternoon and 37D for awhile. Then came here and saw so many comments that made me want to throw in the towel which I did until today. I found the right and path and am confident in my submission.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I'm very curious what it is that is causing others to waiver in their confidence. I am almost certain the answer I found is the correct and only answer, and if it weren't for all the discussion about people coming up with two or three likely answers and having to deliberate, I would not have even considered that there was another answer. Midnight will come and I will likely eat crow but oh well. Can't wait to see the discussion
Colin

Post by Colin »

Three answers - oh dear!
No hundred percenter, soooo...
Ashore - hold bubbly
One world. One planet. One future.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Landed on a shore.
Answer submission emailed.
But not too hopeful.

P.S. Learned today that John Lennon loved haiku and that made me happy!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:24 pm I have had a significant breakthrough since yesterday, but still working. Hoping to get there by midnight but, like some others, am having my first dinner out in a year for a friend’s birthday so may not make it!!!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

I don't think I've stayed up to see the "reveal" before, but for this one, I just might.
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

On shore, thanks to a muggle nudge or two. Love the mechanism, another tool for the toolkit!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:51 pm I don't think I've stayed up to see the "reveal" before, but for this one, I just might.
Ha, me too but it’ll be 9:00 in Phoenix!
Inca

Post by Inca »

I almost forgot to submit my solution. I solved on Thursday...with the many-times noted little piece missing for absolute confirmation. So, I decided to wait before submitting and see if anyone posted that they have an answer they are absolutely sure of. Then I forgot all about it until now. So, not only is there no confirmation; there are no longer 2 answers; there are now 3 answers! For better or worse, I will go with the only answer I see as valid. Once I see something, I just stop and never go further. That was my downfall last week. Found the replacement for one of the words in each entry, knew that was the right track but couldn't squeeze the answer from it obviously, but never stopped to consider that there might be more to find. I guess I'm just lazy.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I too submitted. Whether that makes me on shore or not, who knows?!?
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

Janet P wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:20 pm Landed on a shore.
Answer submission emailed.
But not too hopeful.

P.S. Learned today that John Lennon loved haiku and that made me happy!
I scan the posts for yours every week. I have tried a few, and they are....forgettable. Many years ago while changing a particularly rude diaper on my youngest, inspiration struck. My two older girls (prob age 6 and 8) were in the room to hear it but unfortunately, none of us wrote it down. To this very day, the only part any of us remember is the third line: quick light a candle!

It's probably for the better.......
BigRedBob

Post by BigRedBob »

Well, I've got plenty of this, and that and even some other, but the final phrase is just BLOWIN' IN THE WIND, certainly not AVAILABLE AT A MOMENT'S NOTICE to this poor solver, despite UNSTINTING EFFORT. Hopefully SHOWING GRACE UNDER FIRE, this apparently AVERAGE GUY will remain onboard, awaiting a final reveal...
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I am on a beach.

Monday update: I am on the correct beach.
Last edited by LittleGood on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.