"This, That, and The Other Thing" - April 23, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

ky-mike wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:57 am
Meg wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:20 pm DAD5D817-7CCD-4857-94E8-8BA50C9D16B9.jpegOh look! Page 4! I’m on the beach. Margarita in hand. Personal services. @Bob cruise director ...... care to weigh in?
Next time we need to raise funds for website maintenance, maybe we could design a muggle T-shirt and sell it for a few $ above cost. I am certain that we have quite a few clever designers on the forum who could contribute to a great design.
Still lost at sea. Have been distracted by T-shirt ideas:

1. The obvious, just a T-shirt with a picture of the holy grail - The Mug
2. 15x15 Grid blank other than 6 theme answers - beverages: Margarita, Urbock, Guinness (of course), Gin Mules, Ledaig, El Diablo
3. A rabbit hole (not idea how to draw) and a red herring

4. A Pageant, perhaps depicted by Isaac wearing a sash with a tiara
5. Group shot of Yoko Ono, Margaret Cho, Marie Kondo, Yma Sumac, Laila Ali, Oona Chaplin,...
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

omg. I may have spoken too soon. I've been sitting here going over and over this and I actually think I just solved it and am tentatively on shore. I submitted. Fingers crossed!
Abide

Post by Abide »

@Al Sisti did you forget we implemented the @ button so people would not quote the entire list to the Cruise Director?

@Bob cruise director you claim you don't know the Jetsons and you are dropping Dr. Doolittle/Pushmi-Pullyu references?
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I know there are quite a few MUGgles who are Jason Gay fans. Just wanted to mention his latest piece which is in today's edition for those who are WSJ subscribers. He writes about the texts that he is receiving lately from vaccinated friends and family who are so excited about "mundane trips" and "ordinary events we used to take for granted". One of those texts really resonated with me: "I sat inside a restaurant. Incredible. I nearly wept when they brought me the menu." Now I am afraid that I may do just that this evening! It has been two weeks since my second Pfizer inoculation and it couldn't have come on a better day: our wedding anniversary. Indeed, I have not stepped foot inside a restaurant for almost 14 months and I can't believe how stoked I am about doing so!!
Sara
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

mlvilv wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:33 pm omg. I may have spoken too soon. I've been sitting here going over and over this and I actually think I just solved it and am tentatively on shore. I submitted. Fingers crossed!
That's what we MUGgles call post-enlightenment! Welcome and congrats!
Sara
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Abide wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:34 pm @Al Sisti did you forget we implemented the @ button so people would not quote the entire list to the Cruise Director?

@Bob cruise director you claim you don't know the Jetsons and you are dropping Dr. Doolittle/Pushmi-Pullyu references?
The only reason I know about the 1967 movie of Dr. Doolittle is from my wife. You have to understand that the Jetsons were on ABC from 1962 to 1963. The town I grew up in could only receive 1 TV station and that was CBS. If it was not on CBS, it did not exist.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Larrry wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:24 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:20 pm DAD5D817-7CCD-4857-94E8-8BA50C9D16B9.jpegOh look! Page 4! I’m on the beach. Margarita in hand. Personal services. @Bob cruise director ...... care to weigh in?
Next time we need to raise funds for website maintenance, maybe we could design a muggle T-shirt and sell it for a few $ above cost. I am certain that we have quite a few clever designers on the forum who could contribute to a great design.

2. 15x15 Grid blank other than 6 theme answers - beverages: Margarita, Urbock, Guinness (of course), Gin Mules, Ledaig, El Diablo

5. Group shot of Yoko Ono, Margaret Cho, Marie Kondo, Yma Sumac, Laila Ali, Oona Chaplin,...
I’m all in on a T shirt with the mug! Will probably need WSJ permission for using the depiction of the mug, though!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:39 pm I know there are quite a few MUGgles who are Jason Gay fans. Just wanted to mention his latest piece which is in today's edition for those who are WSJ subscribers. He writes about the texts that he is receiving lately from vaccinated friends and family who are so excited about "mundane trips" and "ordinary events we used to take for granted". One of those texts really resonated with me: "I sat inside a restaurant. Incredible. I nearly wept when they brought me the menu." Now I am afraid that I may do just that this evening! It has been two weeks since my second Pfizer inoculation and it couldn't have come on a better day: our wedding anniversary. Indeed, I have not stepped foot inside a restaurant for almost 14 months and I can't believe how stoked I am about doing so!!
I'm a huge Jason Gay fan & will be dining with 4 of my siblings tomorrow night for the 1st time in too long. I'll have to remind my self with which fork to pick my teeth.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Weighing in but not yet ready to weigh anchor.

Since many have said they are not 100% sure of their solution, here is my math so far. I am 83.33333333...% sure that I understand the mechanism but only 25% sure of the meta. My guess would certainly lend a sense of finality but so far I can only find partial justification and that does not satisfy my need for completion.

I think I’ve got this. I keep leaning toward that. But I may need to think other wise.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
Pembroke

Post by Pembroke »

Larrry wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:24 pm

This one made me laugh out loud:
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

On shore but forgot to post.
Very much a fun challenge
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

mlvilv wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:22 pm Hi everyone--I'm new here! I only just discovered the meta puzzles in the paper and I love them. I look forward to the challenge every week but so far I'm on my fifth puzzle and haven't gotten it yet! Tell me there's hope. I make quick work of the crossword, compile the special clues/answers, take note of the weird things about the puzzle but just can't bring it home. I've tried enlisting my family but they are not as committed :)
Welcome!

In February, WSJ ran some easier metas intended to help the newbies gradually get the hang of this. Sounds like you just missed it, but you can go back and give them a try. All the PDFs are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/43ln7h5uvnkj ... tracking=1

There is definitely hope! There's a knack to these, a way of looking at things, that develops with experience.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Well, I pondered some more and went with my gut as to the answer, so I guess you can consider me onshore now. (I understand the qualms others are having over the "solution." We'll see.)
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

"I'm a huge Jason Gay fan & will be dining with 4 of my siblings tomorrow night for the 1st time in too long. I'll have to remind my self with which fork to pick my teeth."
Our flatware set came with these three sizes of forks. NOW I know what the little bitty one is for.
Attachments
20210424_172539.jpg
Colin

Post by Colin »

Still with Isaac... spaghetti carbonara and generous red wine should sort me out! 🤞
One world. One planet. One future.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

lbray53 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:44 pm I had to get some help. But I think the answer I finally arrived at has a nice click.
By the way. Declaring myself on shore.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

I think we will be staying aboard the boat for this one.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

On the boat, happily floating, amidst a myriad of herrings. Will howitzer a Hail Mary Wall-Street-ward in good time. Off to Zion National Park for four days and Bryce for two -- first time out of Silicon Valley since March of last year.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I’m still with Isaac. I have, what I believe, the final two words of the four-word phrase. What I found, and the way I got there, cannot be a coincidence, but I’m now at a complete roadblock. Hoping for post-enlightenment.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

otlaolap wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:47 pm On the boat, happily floating, amidst a myriad of herrings. Will howitzer a Hail Mary Wall-Street-ward in good time. Off to Zion National Park for four days and Bryce for two -- first time out of Silicon Valley since March of last year.
I love Zion. Can’t wait to get out there again. Have a wonderful trip!