"This, That, and The Other Thing" - April 23, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Got it! Wow. That’s a good one! On the beach and having a cocktail to celebrate Moderna #2 today as well!

I thought answer was 100% but I know others disagree. I hope I’m right. Happy to provide nudges if needed.
Last edited by CopperRiver on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:11 pm
BethA wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:10 pm @Wendy Walker and what is that with the glowing eyes behind the raccoons??
Just an artifact of the camera, sorry to say.
Are you sure? I think there was something like this on Ghsst Hunters. Or was it Ghostbusters?
Jay
BrennerTJ

Post by BrennerTJ »

On the beach - learning to take my time once I think I have it to make sure everything's accounted for. Might eat dessert first tonight in lieu of beverage.
-Tamara
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I wasn't imaginative enough to come up with two possible answers, so I'll go with the one I did find. I don't see what about it might evoke quibbles.
Jay
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore, but stepping a bit cautiously, as I think it’s possible that I have arrived on the wrong beach. Hoping that figure in the distance is a cabana boy, rather than a cannibal ... 😜

And ... belatedly ... I thought of another possible answer, but I’m happy with the one I sent in. It’ll be interesting to compare notes Sunday night ... 🤨.
Last edited by DaveKennison on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I'm on a beach, but as with others, not sure if it is the right one. I'm not seeing an alternative answer that others have alluded to, so I'm going to wait until tomorrow to submit, to see if I come up with anything better in the meantime.
TPS

Post by TPS »

TPS wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:09 pm Well I found something that's definitely not a coincidence but have ZERO idea what it could is pointing to.
Not happening this week - to further the football analogy - I’m like Pete Caroll in XLIX - so close but yet so far.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well I’ve submitted an answer but I’m having trouble believing it’s quite right. If anyone wants to compare educated guesses dm me!

Yeah - other muggles got the same thing. I’ll say I’m on shore, and a drink of about any kind would be most welcome right about now. Too much workin!!
Last edited by HeadinHome on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I know I'm close but....
Can I swim over and mark my spot on the beach with a towel?
Kas

Post by Kas »

What everybody else said. My experience was akin to smelling something delicious baking in the kitchen, circling back around and seeing my darling spouse icing an incredible-looking cake, getting called down to sit at the kitchen table, with a big slice waiting, fork ready...and as I raise the first, amazing bite on my fork to my ready mouth, she says... “Oh! And it’s vegan!”

I mean, I’m obviously still going to eat the cake, it’s just not as satisfying as the run-up. (On shore, calling this one done.)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I'm on the shore with the crowd that found a nice strong current but then hit what I first thought was a sand bar and then realized must be the beach. I'm curious what the other possible answer is and hope it's not better than mine:)

Good luck to all the muggles competing in the ACPT this weekend! I'll be sending speedy solving vibes your way. Please let us know how it goes.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

On the shore

I agree with many posts that I'm not confident of my submission, but a big Gaffney clue I believe is pointing me in the right direction.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

On shore. After talking it through, we feel 99% positive about it.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

On shore, probably.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On shore
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

escapeartist wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:20 pm On the shore

I agree with many posts that I'm not confident of my submission, but a big Gaffney clue I believe is pointing me in the right direction.
Looked at it again, and NOPE , I screwed up terribly and did not submit the right answer *slaps forehead*

pretty sure I've got it now though :roll:
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

On shore! So many little subtleties in this puzzle that made for an enjoyable meta journey!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
KayW

Post by KayW »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:47 pm On shore--I think? I got the first step or two without any trouBLe, but I lACK the confirmation that I seek--which seems to make me part of the CROWd! I've donNED my thinking cap. Maybe I need a NIGHTcap instead. WhetHER my answer is right or wrONg, this was certainly a clever mechanism.
A very timely Bird of the Week! They are back in residence in Lincoln Park.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

KayW wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:07 pm
LadyBird wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:47 pm On shore--I think? I got the first step or two without any trouBLe, but I lACK the confirmation that I seek--which seems to make me part of the CROWd! I've donNED my thinking cap. Maybe I need a NIGHTcap instead. WhetHER my answer is right or wrONg, this was certainly a clever mechanism.
A very timely Bird of the Week! They are back in residence in Lincoln Park.
I was wondering if that colony was still there. At the wildlife hospital that I volunteer at, we usually get patients from there every year--juveniles that fall out of the nests.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Matt has caused a spasm of cliches to erupt.
Still, I've found what "must" be the answer, but can't calculate the odds.
Not sure what the other thing could be. So I'll settle for this and that.