"Swap Meet" - April 16, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

So now we have TeaJenny in the the punster crowd. We'll be Sorry!
Heidi
periperi

Post by periperi »

Also stuck, probably where everyone else was -- step 1 came easily, but what to do from there is eluding me. would not say no to a eleventh hour nudge. (EDIT: ashore -- a nudge told me I was already doing the right thing, but I just needed to reorganize it. Thanks!)
Last edited by periperi on Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Guess I’ll be at the bar with Isaac til midnight. I got the first step easily, but then ran into the cursed parenthetical numbers. Oh well!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

969EB47F-420C-450F-906A-D081B9C04331.jpeg
Take that you punsters!
Heidi
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:24 pm Take that you punsters!
She found our sacred text! She must be burned at the steak! (Which is a rare occurrence since the days of Sir Loin.)
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Close to the eleventh hour and still stuck...Guess I will just be at sea until next week.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Still asea. Maybe next week.
TeaJenny

Post by TeaJenny »

HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:26 pm
She found our sacred text! She must be burned at the steak! (Which is a rare occurrence since the days of Sir Loin.)
Let the pun-ishment fit the crime.
You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~C.S. Lewis
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

TeaJenny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:40 pm
Rufus T. Firefly
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TeaJenny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:45 pm
HunterX wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:36 pm

And..... he's back!
You certainly didn't think I was going to let you guys have all the fun.....
I know you mint well, but I have the Sencha that your efforts to sink my Battleship will not have the Mass Effect you intended. Rather than sit here Whist-fully simmering in Solitairey silence, I shall Roulette tomorrow morning to enjoy a hearty English Breakfast with Earl Grey after walking my dog Bingo. It may take a while to get there, as it can be difficult to navigate all of the Chutes and Ladders, but I have the Patience to Pictionary thing that may Go wrong along the way and plan accordingly.
Well if it is cold when you go out to walk Bingo be sure to wear your Pekoe because though it may be good exercise, getting a cold is no Trivial Pursuit. I’d also make sure to wear something noticeable like a yellow or Euchre colored hat. I happen to know a place that sells them, its a small store usually specializing in NASA items and is called the Merchant of Venus. It is just over the Bridge in Tampa. They also serve hot beverages and if you can get your dog or dromedary to walk that far (it is a camel mile) I think it is one of the 7 Wonders and always induces a state of Euphoria. Their best tea, as they will tell you, tis Anne's, and although some places will serve a puer version, they will matcha dollar for dollar if you can buy a better one than theirs. Oh, and if you go, check out their greeting card section because they have any number of different cards for and against humanity.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:02 pm
TeaJenny wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:40 pm

Well done!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hcbirker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:24 pm 969EB47F-420C-450F-906A-D081B9C04331.jpeg

Take that you punsters!
Why did the Gastroenterologist stop using bolts during surgery - he found it gut wrenching!

Why didn't the author like having to park his RV at the far end of the campground? It was past tents.

Why didn't the the family put up a "Lost" sign when Rover disappeared? Because it was too doggone good without him.

Why did the Scotsman stop researching his lineage? He got kilt.

How did the scuba diver know when he was getting near the nudist colony? He could sea bottom.

Did you hear about the piece of gauze that got a job helping out an orchestra? He told the interviewer he was a band aid.

Know what happened to the drunk who was flinging pastry into the wind? He got pie eyed.

What was the name of the girl the guy with the wooden leg married? Peg.

Did you hear about the heavy guy who fell while attempting an intricate skiing maneuver? Sure he didn't succeed, but he left quite an impression.

What city was the garden elf from? Nome.

OK, here you go, I did these without even invoking anything rude, medical or sacrilegious. But I'll stop before I am accused of puntificating.
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Finally ashore after a friendly muggle threw me a heavy tow rope! I need to clear my weekend calendar so I have more time to ponder these puzzles earlier.

Cheers all!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:53 pm
hcbirker wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:24 pm 969EB47F-420C-450F-906A-D081B9C04331.jpeg

Take that you punsters!
Why did the Gastroenterologist stop using bolts during surgery - he found it gut wrenching!

Why didn't the author like having to park his RV at the far end of the campground? It was past tents.

Why didn't the the family put up a "Lost" sign when Rover disappeared? Because it was too doggone good without him.

Why did the Scotsman stop researching his lineage? He got kilt.

How did the scuba diver know when he was getting near the nudist colony? He could sea bottom.

Did you hear about the piece of gauze that got a job helping out an orchestra? He told the interviewer he was a band aid.

Know what happened to the drunk who was flinging pastry into the wind? He got pie eyed.

What was the name of the girl the guy with the wooden leg married? Peg.

Did you hear about the heavy guy who fell while attempting an intricate skiing maneuver? Sure he didn't succeed, but he left quite an impression.

What city was the garden elf from? Nome.

OK, here you go, I did these without even invoking anything rude, medical or sacrilegious. But I'll stop before I am accused of puntificating.
Thanks for replunishing the list
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210416 WSJCC Swap Meet.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Swap Meet solution JPR.png
20210416 WSJCC Swap Meet highlighted.png
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Yep, DEAL with it.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Sorry HAD to share....
Uranus name change.jpg
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

My Checkered past has left me Scrabbling for answers.
Heidi
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

BREAD AND VINEGAR?