"The Play's The Thing" - April 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:53 pm
BigRedBob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm no need “to be or not” - onshore, grateful for sophomore college literature course...though, being raised in Pittsburgh, PA, thought soliloquy was simply “or not”

(Grew up hearing “Your room needs cleaned up” and “the car needs washed” and “the garbage needs taken out”...)
“Your room needs cleaned up” -- not "red up"?
“the car needs washed” -- not "needs worshed"?
The same construction is also used with want: "The dog wants fed."
'n at.
(I'm from Saath Hills)
I'm from Boston, now in south central PA. The one that got me was "a while". You want to order a while? I don't think I'll have a while, but maybe a chesseburger?
Last edited by DannyWalter on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hissongcle

Post by hissongcle »

On shore. I do love the Bard.
The girls today in society
Go for classical poetry
So to win their hearts you must quote with ease
Aeschylus and Euripides

But the poet of them all
Who will start 'em simply ravin'
Is the poet people call
The Bard of Stratford-on-Avon

Brush up your Shakespeare
Start quoting him now
And the women you will wow…

And they'll all kowtow
Cole Porter Kiss Me Kate Act II, 1948
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:38 pm

Not that I should talk, being from Philly. "Do yous wants some jawn? That jawn made me need to drink some wudder."
And then there is NE PA (Scranton - home of the Office) where the English language is used sparingly. The best example I can give is the fact that there is a town named THROOP which is pronounced by everyone from the area as TROOP. To illustrate further the joke is, "I drove through Throop and the sides of the roads were bare; where are all the tress in Troop? Well DUH dingbat, dey'r before da fours...."

That plus the tendency to describe town locations based on where the railroad went, "Oh he's from down da line" (i.e. Wilkes Barre vis a vis Scranton). That said, they are a group that, if you are their neighbor, even if they don't like you, they would be there in a minute if you were in trouble.

I also lived in Central PA for a number of years so "red up" is not foreign to me, but the best are things like "outen the light". "the pie is all" (for all gone) and "jus I duno" (no idea).

Finally, to complete my PA vagabondness, I lived in Philly but "jawn" escapes me? Is that some implication of talking (jawing)?

We can of course talk about these and any number of different accents on Tuesday, I am sooooo sorry I missed the Muggle Zoom this last week. It appears we are growing in number. Pretty soon I'll be able to talk about the halls of mounting zoomers! (too bad we don't have an old Lee who might trip while doing his chores)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

DannyWalter wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:38 pm
BigRedBob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm no need “to be or not” - onshore, grateful for sophomore college literature course...though, being raised in Pittsburgh, PA, thought soliloquy was simply “or not”

(Grew up hearing “Your room needs cleaned up” and “the car needs washed” and “the garbage needs taken out”...)
'n at.
(I'm from Saath Hills)
I'm from Boston, now in south central PA. The one that got me was "a while". You want to order a while? I don't think I'll have a while, but maybe a chesseburger?
Also anymore in the affirmative. '"Anymore we go to Trader Joe's since Kroger's closed."
Jay
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

hissongcle wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:42 pm On shore. I do love the Bard.
The girls today in society
Go for classical poetry
So to win their hearts you must quote with ease
Aeschylus and Euripides

But the poet of them all
Who will start 'em simply ravin'
Is the poet people call
The Bard of Stratford-on-Avon

Start quoting him now
And the women you will wow…

And they'll all kowtow
Cole Porter Kiss Me Kate Act II, 1948
Did you ever try that? I started quoting Shakespeare once and wound up sitting alone at the end of the bar.
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore now, finally started to seriously look at the meta this afternoon, and everything quickly fell into place, fortunately. Nice tutorial meta.

I'm expecting a much more crowded beach than last week.
rle97

Post by rle97 »

This is my second puzzle, first was last week, and I have not gotten the hang of these just yet. I'm having a hard time pinpointing the key clues... feel free to PM me with the tiniest nudge. I appreciate this lovely community.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

On shore.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:48 pm
BigRedBob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm

I'm not sure where the dividing line is for dropping the "to be." I grew up just outside of Philadelphia and we used "to be," but they certainly don't in Carlisle (where I went to college and worked as a cub reporter), which is only 100 miles west of there. It was jarring at first to quote an official saying something like, "Those potholes need fixed."
I grew up in So Cal where “to be” was part of normal everyday communication. I moved to Idaho 40 years ago and am still jarred every time I hear “needs fixed” or the like. It’s not pervasive here but is definitely in use at some level. So “to be, or not to be” can be a grammatical question😂
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:43 pm

Not that I should talk, being from Philly. "Do yous wants some jawn? That jawn made me need to drink some wudder."
And then there is NE PA (Scranton - home of the Office) where the English language is used sparingly.
Ah, I used to have to spend 3 days a week in Scranton. Flew in from the 'burgH and always thought of Harry Chapin's "30,000 Pounds of Bananas" every time I passed the highway sign for Moosic. Loved how the building across from the Erie-Lackawanna Station/Hotel had a mural of a map of the town on it. I always knew there was an escape route at hand.
DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:43 pm Finally, to complete my PA vagabondness, I lived in Philly but "jawn" escapes me? Is that some implication of talking (jawing)?
"Jawn" can mean almost anything. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jawn
KscX

Post by KscX »

On shore with 45 minutes to my destination and drink. I thought this was a good one!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

DrTom wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:43 pm

And then there is NE PA (Scranton - home of the Office) where the English language is used sparingly. The best example I can give is the fact that there is a town named THROOP which is pronounced by everyone from the area as TROOP. To illustrate further the joke is, "I drove through Throop and the sides of the roads were bare; where are all the tress in Troop? Well DUH dingbat, dey'r before da fours...."
I’m afraid that I am personally responsible for something just like your Throop example. 6 years ago we bought a mountain cabin on a street called Thula. Now how is that pronounced? I’ve never heard any of the locals refer to the street but if I pronounce the TH in Thula it makes my tongue feel fat and I don’t like the sound of the word. It makes me feel a bit like Sylvester The Cat. So I immediately started pronouncing it as Too-la, using the well known ski-rack/bike-rack company Thule (Too-lee) as my example and excuse. And my friends and family have humored me. Bless them all.
Last edited by EVJ on Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

'n at.
(I'm from Saath Hills)
I’m from Pittsburgh, lived in Philly, Hershey, Bethlehem and Lancaster! So I’m fluent in many of Pennsylvania’s dialects!! 😂 “Red up your room” is a classic!
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Solved the grid this morning and the meta during lunch. My brain feels much better than last week! 😄

On the beach 🏖🥃
Konnie
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

On shore after a quick swim this afternoon. Enjoying listening to the hail coming down outside in Virginia, and I'll be having what's called the "extraordinary" margarita. If anyone's interested, this is my favorite springtime libation -

Ingredients
15 mL Cointreau
15 mL lime juice
50 mL tequila
20 mL Aperol

Shake it up and go to town. If you don't have metric measuring tools (as most don't), a teaspoon is about 5 mL, and 15 mL is about a half ounce.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

The documentary My Octopus Teacher is a fantastic Netflix movie. I highly recommend it to everyone.
(I tried to attach a link but it didn’t lead to anything so I removed it).

The absolute best documentary I have ever seen, I watched it three times, beautiful!
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

On shore.
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Safely ashore after setting it down for a few hours. Once I picked it back up it jumped out at me.

Grey Goose martini with a lemon twist.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

JaneGummy wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:16 pm The documentary My Octopus Teacher is a fantastic Netflix movie. I highly recommend it to everyone.
(I tried to attach a link but it didn’t lead to anything so I removed it).

The absolute best documentary I have ever seen, I watched it three times, beautiful!
I'm not sure if I ever want to eat calamari again after watching that movie. It was excellent.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Billy M wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:09 pm and 15 mL is about a half ounce.
...and a half ounce is about a tablespoon. 😉

Just fooling around; I do metric drinks as well. Here's an excerpt from my COcktail MIXer COMIX I think I posted after the new year.
20210409_165207.jpg