"The Play's The Thing" - April 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

Done and done. Made a nice haul at Walmart last week, scored some Goose Island 312, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, and Dogfish Bay IPA at some pretty sweet prices. I'll admit, I learned a ***LOT*** solving that meta, working backwards from the solution.
bskptkl

Post by bskptkl »

Finished. Nice puzzle.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

On shore.

I really liked this one. I would recommend it to new solvers.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

My kind of puzzle. Quickly finished and happily on shore.

TGIF, Muggles. Have a great weekend.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

On the shore! I haven't done one of these in months. Feels good to get back to 'em.
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore with a bit of bing-ing, which I don't feel bad about because that writer is overrated!
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! Enjoyed the meta, too.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I'm very late to the party, but I'm now on shore, but abashed: I saw what was going on right away, but made a crucial and fatal error in implementing the mechanism, and I only just now saw my mistake and was able to recover.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

BigRedBob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm

(Grew up hearing “Your room needs cleaned up” and “the car needs washed” and “the garbage needs taken out”...)
I'm not sure where the dividing line is for dropping the "to be." I grew up just outside of Philadelphia and we used "to be," but they certainly don't in Carlisle (where I went to college and worked as a cub reporter), which is only 100 miles west of there. It was jarring at first to quote an official saying something like, "Those potholes need fixed."
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

BigRedBob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm no need “to be or not” - onshore, grateful for sophomore college literature course...though, being raised in Pittsburgh, PA, thought soliloquy was simply “or not”

(Grew up hearing “Your room needs cleaned up” and “the car needs washed” and “the garbage needs taken out”...)
“Your room needs cleaned up” -- not "red up"?
“the car needs washed” -- not "needs worshed"?
The same construction is also used with want: "The dog wants fed."
'n at.
(I'm from Saath Hills)
Jay
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore after a brief assist from the Google lifeboat. KAS 1 for me which equals disappointment.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Visiting my sister in Boston so got to puzzle late and the two of us co-solved it. A foolish error by both of us confused us for a while. Of course, being named Toby means I have heard “Toby....or not Toby...” many many times.
DannyWalter

Post by DannyWalter »

On shore with time to spare for cocktails! Or perhaps a nice glass of something red. Rating this one as easy because even I was able to solve it.

"Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used".
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:48 pm
BigRedBob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm

I'm not sure where the dividing line is for dropping the "to be." I grew up just outside of Philadelphia and we used "to be," but they certainly don't in Carlisle (where I went to college and worked as a cub reporter), which is only 100 miles west of there. It was jarring at first to quote an official saying something like, "Those potholes need fixed."
I grew up in the Philly area, then lived in Pittsburgh for 8 years. Always found the dropping of "to be" quite amusing. I still work for the same Pittsburgh company over 30 years later and I can always tell when someone on a call is from the 'burgh when something "needs filed" or the like. My boss was from Central PA and still uses that wording.

Favorite line heard in the office there: "Did yins put these gum bands on my desk?" If only they'd been the "glove box."

Not that I should talk, being from Philly. "Do yous wants some jawn? That jawn made me need to drink some wudder."
meowmiao71

Post by meowmiao71 »

On shore, though I'll admit to heavy use of Google!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:53 pm
BigRedBob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:59 pm no need “to be or not” - onshore, grateful for sophomore college literature course...though, being raised in Pittsburgh, PA, thought soliloquy was simply “or not”

“Your room needs cleaned up” -- not "red up"?
“the car needs washed” -- not "needs worshed"?
The same construction is also used with want: "The dog wants fed."
'n at.
(I'm from Saath Hills)
I lived in 'Sliberdy before moving the North Hills. Refused to pick up the lingo. Always spelled the city name with a capital 'H' at the end to emphasize that it was there for some reason.
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Onshore!
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Ashore and heading straight into a fresh margarita! Happy Friday and have a great Masters Weekend!!!
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Ashore! Didn’t get a chance to do the puzzle until Fri afternoon, but this one was write up my alley as an English major and filmmaker. I’m guessing the beach will be crowded this week given the sea of diplomas possessed by this erudite crowd. :D
Last edited by yourpalsal on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy

Post by Guy »

I worked the grid late last night as the days have been a bit long this week. Today however ended a little bit ago, so I started work on the meta. I got very lucky and I am ashore. Came over here to Muggleville, and so many are already here! Nice!
And I now off to a libation involving bourbon and ice, and ice and bourbon (unless I'm neat).