"The Play's The Thing" - April 9, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
John77

Post by John77 »

Ashore in 28 minutes flat, a record for me. It will be a crowded beach bar.
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

On shore! Thanks to google!
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Quick swim this morning; any one I solve is a good one!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Ashore
TomAndDenise

Post by TomAndDenise »

Ashore in record time. Cute puzzle.
Tom and Denise Greaves
North Andover, Massachusetts
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

on shore!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Friends, muggles and countrymen

The rush to shore continues as we have 159 there already. A very clever puzzle from Mr. Gaffney

Speaking of Matt, for MGWCC participants, the puzzle will not come out until 2 pm as little Ada has been colicky. I remember those days and as Matt said - not fun for everyone.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
spotter

Post by spotter »

On Shore!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore!
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Ashore. Singapore Slings and Arrows all around.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Scraps wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:49 pm
One of the customers on the fishing charter I worked today accidentally caught an octopus. Have you ever tried to remove a fishing hook from an octopus? It's not easy, but there is a technique, and the boat captain told me how: you squeeze the head, keeping your hand away from the beak. It worked. I got the hook out, and the octopus jetted to the depths as soon as I set him over the side.

I also learned that there is a cocktail called an octopus: 151 light rum, orange juice, passion fruit nectar, and angostura bitters. I think I'll order one now.
The documentary My Octopus Teacher is a fantastic Netflix movie. I highly recommend it to everyone.
(I tried to attach a link but it didn’t lead to anything so I removed it).
Last edited by EVJ on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Speaking of Slings and Arrows, the Canadian TV show of that name is worth your time if the Bard tickles your fancy in general.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

An hour last night well spent! Probably my fastest trip from ship to shore yet, and I am on a two out of four "streak." Will readily admit I had to utilize the search engines a bit having been a pre-med major. Although I will here give enormous credit to my high school English teacher: small rural school, my graduating class was 92 in number, and we had Mrs. Yoder all four years for English. Probably the best teacher in my total years of pre-graduate, graduate, post-graduate, and professional education. It seems appropriate to publicly honor her here. Suspect many here have similar stories.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Ashore in record time...Yes it will be crowded but all the more fun! Two MaiTais, please.
🌴🍹
BigRedBob

Post by BigRedBob »

no need “to be or not” - onshore, grateful for sophomore college literature course...though, being raised in Pittsburgh, PA, thought soliloquy was simply “or not”

(Grew up hearing “Your room needs cleaned up” and “the car needs washed” and “the garbage needs taken out”...)
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:32 am
LadyBird wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:34 pm On shore! It was not a HARd swim at all--no need to use an aTLAs to find shore (although I did need a quick consultation with google). These puzzles--and this forum--have been a sUBStantial source of enjoyment these past 52 weeks (and 51 birds)! The occasional anGUish from an unsolved meta is more than compensated for by the goodwiLL of everyone here. Thank you!

If we were still having yesterday's weather, then I would ask for a summer shandy at the tiki bar; however, today's weather dictates a dark and stormy.
And after 51 birds, you finally stumped me with one I had not heard of before. But seeing the range of it, I am not surprised
I saw it in Cape Town--Robben Island to be exact. My poor, long-suffering husband. I think that I can say, with extreme confidence, that I was the only one touring the prison with a pair of binoculars!

After reading all of the witty, Shakespearean replies (I don't think anyone is topping Bird Lives, though), I realized that I should have chosen a bird mentioned by the Bard. Oh well--maybe next time.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Reasonably quick swim to shore.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

ajk wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:53 pm Speaking of Slings and Arrows, the Canadian TV show of that name is worth your time if the Bard tickles your fancy in general.
This is my all-time #1 fave comedy. Whenever I need a really good laugh, I dig this out of our DVD collection. Paul Gross is exquisite in it!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
John77

Post by John77 »

Dennis wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:54 pm An hour last night well spent! Probably my fastest trip from ship to shore yet, and I am on a two out of four "streak." Will readily admit I had to utilize the search engines a bit having been a pre-med major. Although I will here give enormous credit to my high school English teacher: small rural school, my graduating class was 92 in number, and we had Mrs. Yoder all four years for English. Probably the best teacher in my total years of pre-graduate, graduate, post-graduate, and professional education. It seems appropriate to publicly honor her here. Suspect many here have similar stories.
I, too, was a pre-med major but fortunately was able to include an elective that used this text:
Attachments
Shakespeare.png
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
tobivillanovi

Post by tobivillanovi »

Dedicating this one to my professor, Dr. Schlauraff, from freshman year English seminar! Enjoy the sand everyone!
Go Cats,
Tobi