"Two For The Show" - April 2, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

MikeM000 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:03 pm
HunterX wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:55 am
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 am Greetings--we've had a few complaints over recent weeks that the contests were getting too easy, but we didn't hear that this week. We had 1372 entries, with an impressive 80% correct. A large gallery of incorrect guesses, including Picasso (43), Van Gogh (38), Grant Wood (32), Money (12), Warhol (12), and many others, including a cameo appearance by Bob Ross (5).
I was going to buy a work of art by Money, but then I found out it was counterfeit.

I was not a happy cloud then...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._S._G._Boggs
Interesting, that J.S.G. Boggs character. So were his bank notes Boggus? ;)
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Bill Bovard wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:51 pm I had no chance with this one, hardly know any of those movies. However, I'm curious if they will accept just MONET. Back in February the answer was MARIE CURIE, but CURIE and other variations, which could be easily guessed, were accepted.
MONET? -- No, definitely not, since the answer was EDGAR DEGAS. :D (they might have accepted "DEGAS" alone, I don't know) :)

but back to the movies, I didn't know them either (I knew TRON), but they were laid out in the clues which I circled at some point because of the conformity:

ACROSS
"Argo" star/director Affleck
"Woo" star Pinkett Smith
"Ran" director

DOWN
Nona of "Ali"
Hacking program played by Jeff Bridges in "Tron"

The thing that caught my attention was that they were all very short movie titles (which conveniently were "framed" into other answers, I later discovered)

(34D "Whine Up" singer DeLuna threw a wrench into the scheme but it's not a picture, so that circled answer got erased after I found the other films in the grid)
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

anaerobe wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:27 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:55 am I admit to no Hanky or Panky just the occasional rearrangement of the actual facts to allow the insertion of a bon mot or two.
Please keep 'em coming...we can use all the bon mot we can get!
Bon!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:58 am Greetings--we've had a few complaints over recent weeks that the contests were getting too easy, but we didn't hear that this week. We had 1372 entries, with an impressive 80% correct. A large gallery of incorrect guesses, including Picasso (43), Van Gogh (38), Grant Wood (32), Money (12), Warhol (12), and many others, including a cameo appearance by Bob Ross (5).
I was going to buy a work of art by Money, but then I found out it was counterfeit.

Would you have kept it in a cache for a change? I'm banking on that, but of course I'm the asker so you can be the teller.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
anaerobe

Post by anaerobe »

DrTom wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:46 am

Would you have kept it in a cache for a change? I'm banking on that, but of course I'm the asker so you can be the teller.
Wow...I had to stop and punt a long time agogh because I was going baroque from reading your near dali postings. Even now I hear my mother whistling, meaning I have to goya to work, otherwise yesterday's supper will be my last!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just trying to keep up. It's like I'm climbing pun mountain and there you two sit at the summit, barely visible through the clouds and mist.....
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

I'll deposit that nugget of wisdom in a safe place. Then I will withdraw before you counter with something that might interest me.
Kas

Post by Kas »

HunterX wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:39 pm
Kas wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:29 pm Honestly, I think I enjoy the Monday Morning Quarterpuzzling comments every bit as much as the puzzling itself.
Ditto. Thus my disappointment at "Easy Meta February."

Okay, that and the decreased odds to win the mug due to increased competition! The mug which I STILL haven't won,

Oddly...
I SAY IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!! Allright, get yer torches and pitchforks...WHO'S WITH ME?!?
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Kas wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:33 pm
HunterX wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:39 pm
Kas wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:29 pm Honestly, I think I enjoy the Monday Morning Quarterpuzzling comments every bit as much as the puzzling itself.
Ditto. Thus my disappointment at "Easy Meta February."

Okay, that and the decreased odds to win the mug due to increased competition! The mug which I STILL haven't won,

Oddly...
I SAY IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!! Allright, get yer torches and pitchforks...WHO'S WITH ME?!?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

anaerobe wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:59 am

Wow...I had to stop and punt a long time agogh because I was going baroque from reading your near dali postings. Even now I hear my mother whistling, meaning I have to goya to work, otherwise yesterday's supper will be my last!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just trying to keep up. It's like I'm climbing pun mountain and there you two sit at the summit, barely visible through the clouds and mist.....
So you are joining the pun crowd art thou? Well you can climb the mountain or you can just tale the Rodin, just be careful of any unexploded mines because those war holes can be treacherous and I don't know wyeth but they take forever to be fixed.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:11 am

I'll deposit that nugget of wisdom in a safe place. Then I will withdraw before you counter with something that might interest me.
Hopefully your interest will be compounded! Oh I hear that if you open a safe deposit account they will give you a mint...banking is so competitive lately they will probably vault over the counter to get to you. I mean you are going to put it in the bank aren't you, I'm just checking.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Actually, they're not THAT bad. But they sure do seem contagious!
puns.jpg
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:56 pm It’s not too late. The deadline is midnight eastern time.

If the website submission button is not working, just send an email with the answer as the subject to

crosswordcontest@wsj.com
Thanks but I just saw this. I'll remember next time I'm down to the wire. The upside is that now I'm getting started on Thursday nights instead of Friday. :D