"Simon Says" - August 9, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Sean

Post by Sean »

On shore! With a song stuck in my head. Nicely done.
BillKos

Post by BillKos »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:17 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 pm
Hector wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:14 pm Someone pls clu me in about 21D?
It is a college that many of us went to
Went to a different school with "tech" in the name.

Kurt Vonnegut, who is the Neil Young of authors IMHO (has works that are either great or abysmal), wrote a classic in what I call the post-apocalyptic trilogy -- 1984, Brave New World, and Kurt's "Player Piano". Great reads, especially if done together.

Anyway, Vonnegut who had spent some time at 21D, set the post apocalypse venue in Ilium, NY. Ilium being the Latin term for Troy. It was a very dark and dreary setting, much like Troy.
Speaking (or should I say newspeaking) of "1984," a certain pre-apocalyptic pol has just stated: " We choose truth over facts. "
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

9D - LOL. I must be old, because this one leapt right out at me. Enjoy the weekend, puzzlers! (Oh... I'm ashore, FTR).
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Happily joining the party on the beach!
Cbakerriver

Post by Cbakerriver »

On shore - also have that song stuck in my head!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Looked at it for a couple minutes and it popped out, like one of those 90s "magic eye" puzzles.
Patty

Post by Patty »

Happy to be on the shore.

62 Down?? New to me but thanks to Google I’m now in the know!
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

jenirvin wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:22 pm 9D - LOL. I must be old, because this one leapt right out at me. Enjoy the weekend, puzzlers! (Oh... I'm ashore, FTR).
9 Down is very appropriate for this group! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bunella

Post by bunella »

uh oh I hope Matt resets me. I just sent the answer to the WSJ puzzle to the MGWCC page. I never did that before.

duh me!

Well I'm onshore anyway.
LesY

Post by LesY »

bunella wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:04 pm uh oh I hope Matt resets me. I just sent the answer to the WSJ puzzle to the MGWCC page. I never did that before.

duh me!

Well I'm onshore anyway.
I bet he will! Related note: I just busted a MGWCC streak by using the wrong user name. But it was only a streak of 1 so I'm not sweating it! :)
Darryl H.

Post by Darryl H. »

Happily ashore with the WSJ and MGWCC done and dusted.
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

Just looked at this thing a while ago today and the meta popped out without me expending too much "brain power" (fortunately!) although it makes me concerned about forthcoming ones. I've gotten 7 out of the last 9, so revenge will be arriving soon, I am sure! Also, here, I didn't follow down a Peter & Gordon rabbit hole, although I really wanted to.....aren't the constructors supposed to be using their real handles now? Anyway, if it's fakery, I appreciate it.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

HowardHuddleston wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:24 pm Just looked at this thing a while ago today and the meta popped out without me expending too much "brain power" (fortunately!) although it makes me concerned about forthcoming ones. I've gotten 7 out of the last 9, so revenge will be arriving soon, I am sure! Also, here, I didn't follow down a Peter & Gordon rabbit hole, although I really wanted to.....aren't the constructors supposed to be using their real handles now? Anyway, if it's fakery, I appreciate it.
Peter Gordon is the editor of Fireball Crosswords. I highly recommend it if you like harder grids. He does a meta contest from time to time as well.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

bunella wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:04 pm uh oh I hope Matt resets me. I just sent the answer to the WSJ puzzle to the MGWCC page. I never did that before.

duh me!

Well I'm onshore anyway.
Bunny
You are not the first. Matt has seen other muggles do this before

but the important part is whether you brought the pretzels to the beach.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

LesY wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:09 pm

duh me!

Well I'm onshore anyway.
I bet he will! Related note: I just busted a MGWCC streak by using the wrong user name. But it was only a streak of 1 so I'm not sweating it! :)
Matt will fix your user name I bet.
HowardHuddleston

Post by HowardHuddleston »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:55 pm
HowardHuddleston wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:24 pm Just looked at this thing a while ago today and the meta popped out without me expending too much "brain power" (fortunately!) although it makes me concerned about forthcoming ones. I've gotten 7 out of the last 9, so revenge will be arriving soon, I am sure! Also, here, I didn't follow down a Peter & Gordon rabbit hole, although I really wanted to.....aren't the constructors supposed to be using their real handles now? Anyway, if it's fakery, I appreciate it.
Peter Gordon is the editor of Fireball Crosswords. I highly recommend it if you like harder grids. He does a meta contest from time to time as well.
Oh, golly! Thanks for straightening me out. I haven't been over there but will give it a shot. He submitted a good puzzle here, hope he keeps it up!
David R

Post by David R »

Pretty easy but don't like these types of metas.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

HowardHuddleston wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:28 pm
sharkicicles wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:55 pm
Oh, golly! Thanks for straightening me out. I haven't been over there but will give it a shot. He submitted a good puzzle here, hope he keeps it up!
No worries! He really is an excellent constructor!
darthdriessen

Post by darthdriessen »

On shore for 4 in a row.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

duh me!

Well I'm onshore anyway.
Only problem is that if Matt hasn't done WSJ yet, you just spoiled it for him.

Send him a note and beg for mercy:)