"Two For The Show" - April 2, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Safely ashore! A big thank you for helpful nudges that helped me confirm my already suspected solution with finding the actual mechanism. This forum is new to me but already I know it's a nice place to be. Mai Tais all around for everyone!
🌴🍹
JetStream

Post by JetStream »

Well, I'm still stuck on the meta but I did manage to give a token amount to the site. I'm hoping karma will inspire me with the answer tomorrow. I've solved the last 4 or 5 pretty easily so maybe it's time for some humble pie. It's funny how these things sometimes just pop out at you - and sometimes don't. Arrr ye scurvy dog!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Ashore with a kindly nudge. Given this one and last week’s puzzle, I wish to state for the record that I
NEVER complained that the meta puzzles earlier in the year were too easy.

I am also pleased to donate to this wonderful site (even though it’s not deductible).😁
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well THAT was another case of trying to get to Georgia from Florida by way of Nevada....or rather the usual "Man did I make that more difficult than I had to." I did get a gentle nudge, or rather a "stop beating that very dead horse" (as opposed to the Norwegian Blue parrot whom any numbskull could see was just sleeping!). I was admonished to start from scratch so I did and only then did I resolve my itch.

Clever one Mr. Gaffney, and embarrassingly easier than I made it since once you see the path you cannot imagine that you didn't get it within the first hour (which for me would be a pipe dream). So, too late for a cocktail (I had one earlier in anticipation), I'll just have an Easter Egg chaser. Until then you won't hear a marshmallow chick out of me.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

In previous weeks, my moment of revelation yielded shrieks of triumphant joy. This week, if I got the correct answer, was kind of anticlimactic. So I'm ashore, drinking a meh-groni. It's a real drink!
PJM

Post by PJM »

Good morning, Muggles on shore and ships at sea. I have toes in the sand and am enjoying Blue Mountain Coffee on this Easter morning. :D
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

We were stuck on this the whole weekend til we went to church this morning, came home and had some egg salad and cappuccino for a little Easter Brunch. That's when the light bulb came for me and Natasha. Clever. Still took more time than it should have, but thank God we can forget about it the rest of the day.
KayW

Post by KayW »

DrTom wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:25 pm
Happy Easter to all! I think I grossed out my dear wife, she asked what we were having for Easter dinner and I said Rabbit...I thought it was WAY funnier than she did.
Dr Tom do you moonlight as program director for a
Midwest television station? A local channel is airing Fatal Attraction at 1PM CDT today 🫕🐇😱😆

Happy Easter!
Last edited by KayW on Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Ok finally ashore with a definite tow. Wont submit but glad I have Easter back :). Thanks for the nudges from the 2 of you who PM’d. (And thanks for the nudge guidelines... as the metas get harder, I will likely need them more!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles.

I hope that you watched the Gonzaga/UCLA game last night - great game and unbelievable finish. I feel bad for the UCLA players and fans as that was one game that no one deserved to lose.

We have 21 on the ship and 133 on the shore.

Since yesterday the ship's contingent has increased by
Janet P
twistedladder
cbarbee
JetStream
Anaerobe

And the shore party has increased by

Commodore (who was there all along but I missed him)
CPJohnson
Colin
Cindy N
otlaolap
jhseeman
Barry
Crest
Ann
SReh26
Ergcat
Jim and Anita
Steveb
BrennerTJ
Joseph B
PQ63
Peter L
Bill H
MamaE

Good luck to all and stay safe.

Michelle B
EVJ
Bonnibel
DrTom
Mulligan
joes
PJM
Fishoutowater
JeanneC
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Shoot! Thought I might beat the noon report today to say that I made my way to the beach. Streak intact :)
Jb321123

Post by Jb321123 »

Thanks to our cruise director for the redirect, hate letting myself get stuck! Ashore and off to my to dos.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:04 am Well THAT was another case of trying to get to Georgia from Florida by way of Nevada....or rather the usual "Man did I make that more difficult than I had to." I did get a gentle nudge, or rather a "stop beating that very dead horse" (as opposed to the Norwegian Blue parrot whom any numbskull could see was just sleeping!). I was admonished to start from scratch so I did and only then did I resolve my itch.

Clever one Mr. Gaffney, and embarrassingly easier than I made it since once you see the path you cannot imagine that you didn't get it within the first hour (which for me would be a pipe dream). So, too late for a cocktail (I had one earlier in anticipation), I'll just have an Easter Egg chaser. Until then you won't hear a marshmallow chick out of me.
Isn't it a Shenk meta?
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

DrTom wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:04 am Well THAT was another case of trying to get to Georgia from Florida by way of Nevada....or rather the usual "Man did I make that more difficult than I had to." I did get a gentle nudge, or rather a "stop beating that very dead horse" (as opposed to the Norwegian Blue parrot whom any numbskull could see was just sleeping!). I was admonished to start from scratch so I did and only then did I resolve my itch.

I feel like I am in exactly the same place you were; definitely the Nevada route. I think I’ll try the staring over technique. I feel that I have known the answer all along; but yet I can’t figure out exactly how to get to it.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I am on the ship still. I feel like I know the answer but can’t figure out how to get to it. Or maybe I don’t know it after all. I’m going the Dr. Tom route and starting from scratch.
femullen

Post by femullen »

When I see the mechanism, I always wonder why I didn't see it sooner. Once you know what it is, it's obvious. And so, this week, once again, I am...

...lost at sea.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Still on the ship, but it's a beautiful day to solve a puzzle. Hope to be ashore by midnight!
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

count me on the ship as well.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

And just like that. Post enlightenment. I am on shore after understanding how hopelessly complicated I made this. Happy Easter to all. And thanks for all of the great site upkeep - donated yesterday!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Janet P wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:57 am Shoot! Thought I might beat the noon report today to say that I made my way to the beach. Streak intact :)
Sorry - the noon report was early because I was summoned to run over to the market for a couple of things for Easter dinner
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director