"We'll Have Waters All Around" - March 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

OCD?
OCD?
Couldn't figure out how to reply to the message chain about keeping old metas, but it seems there are a lot of us. I like to look at those that I've solved when I'm stuck, as I am today, despite being yanked out of a warren of rabbit holes by boharr. I'll try again tomorrow, sometimes the answer appears in my dreams. maybe shutting down the analytical side of the brain and loosing the creative while sleeping? Fingers crossed anyway.
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

eagle1279 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:23 pm
Anyone able to complete the grid without Google has my undying admiration.
All it took was a) being a mediocre Classics major who remembers some place names but forgot nearly all his Latin and Greek, b) a few years at sea, where one resorts to reading sailing directions and other navigation publications to relieve the tedium after seeing all the ship’s movies a half dozen times, and c) way too many hours surfing the web to learn about exotic dive sites I can’t afford to visit. Nothing particularly worthy of admiration in any of that.

Is that the sound of admiration dying?
TPS

Post by TPS »

JaneGummy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:07 pm
Couldn't figure out how to reply to the message chain about keeping old metas, but it seems there are a lot of us. I like to look at those that I've solved when I'm stuck, as I am today, despite being yanked out of a warren of rabbit holes by boharr. I'll try again tomorrow, sometimes the answer appears in my dreams. maybe shutting down the analytical side of the brain and loosing the creative while sleeping? Fingers crossed anyway.
I noticed Grilled Ham and Cheese in that stack - that was the first meta puzzle I ever solved.
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

Notbitter wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:12 pm On shore. I’d like a Manhattan, please.
I see what you did there 😉
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore!
Kevin
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Hubby saw my notes
And blurted out the answer.
Safely on the shore!
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Ashore after confirming with boharr that I took the right raft.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 am Still stumbling around for an answer
Trying to use the razor of 45A to lead me to the solution.
I woke up way too early this morning and had the answer and the rest of the day I have been trying to back solve to it.
Confirmed by a nudge now.
MMac

Post by MMac »

Hats off to Gaffney. Wow.
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

I'm afraid I'm lost at sea; can't figure out what to do with the collected answers...
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

On shore. Very clever, Mr. Gaffney. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Daughter got it while we tried different rabbit holes that seemed to have potential given the clues.

I have my own issue with the meta, which is not an issue with Mr. Gaffney's brilliance, but will reserve comment. (Of course.)
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

JaneGummy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:07 pm 20210326_180000.jpg

“A warren of rabbit holes”.

My favorite quote of the week!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Ashore but not on Ellis Island - I do not believe this beach is on one of the others either. We can worry about exact location when it is time to haul anchor and set sail.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Speaking as a former teacher, I believe this is a puzzle where you should be required to show your work to get full credit.
Last edited by lbray53 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I’m still with Isaac....don’t know what to do with what I’ve found. Only gibberish so far.
Cynthia
TheCatt

Post by TheCatt »

On shore! We were able to solve the grid + meta without Google, but it took our combined efforts, neither one of us could do it alone.
TPS

Post by TPS »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:34 pm Speaking as a former teacher, I believe this is a puzzle where you should be required to show your work to get full credit.
As a former student - I say if you don’t want someone to guess the answer to your question make a better question! :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was an easy enough way to have done that with this puzzle.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Grid done Thursday afternoon and then...crickets. It’s OK. I’m having a good discussion with Isaac about making me a drink with rum and ginger beer.

Like many, this is my first LAS this year. But it’s all good. I always appreciate and admire the ultimate answer and mechanism, especially when it eludes me.

I’ll keep looking. Peace and happiness this Passover.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

Argh. Very, very close. Just don't have three words.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I am safely on shore.