"Pre-Order Your Copy Now" - March 11, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On shore enjoying a pink Mountain Dew. Really!

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go back in time and tell my 15-year-old self what the future is like. Of all the things that would blow his mind, I think the fact that Mountain Dew now comes in red, blue, purple, white and pink would be near the top of the list. I don't know if he would find it cool or funny or pitiful to learn I love them all. :D :? 8-)
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Happy Pi day one day early everybody! Make mine apple!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
twistedladder

Post by twistedladder »

Still struggling to make it ashore. Any nudges in a general direction?

EDIT: Thanks for all the help, good samaritans. I have safely reached shore!
Last edited by twistedladder on Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore with the help of a nudge. Tough one for me this week.
TPS

Post by TPS »

BrianMac wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:30 pm On shore enjoying a pink Mountain Dew. Really!

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go back in time and tell my 15-year-old self what the future is like. Of all the things that would blow his mind, I think the fact that Mountain Dew now comes in red, blue, purple, white and pink would be near the top of the list. I don't know if he would find it cool or funny or pitiful to learn I love them all. :D :? 8-)
Here is the thing I’ve never gotten about things like multiple flavor Mountain Dew or Oreos or Kit Kats...Why? I don’t understand and never have and I would need to see empirical data to believe that it makes business sense. There might be a small amount of new market share captured but mostly I feel like it simply cannibalizes the brand. I don’t feel like there are many people out there who were like I’m NEVER drinking Mountain Dew but I’ll sure as heck try a Mountain Dew Code Red.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

On shore! Very nice meta
wb93

Post by wb93 »

Ashore. Good meta.

Was foolishly thinking I could be a first-pager this week. Pulled up the puzzle on Thursday afternoon while on vacation and knocked it out quickly. Struggled mightily with the meta until looking at it again tonight. And then it hit me.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore--after a little struggle and a self-administered slap on the head.
burak

Post by burak »

Finished the grid, tried a few things for 10-15 minutes but nothing. Later on in the day, as I was walking on the street the solution came to me and I laughed out loud. You gotta love it when a meta puzzle makes you laugh.
Colin

Post by Colin »

TPS wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm
BrianMac wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:30 pm On shore enjoying a pink Mountain Dew. Really!

Here is the thing I’ve never gotten about things like multiple flavor Mountain Dew or Oreos or Kit Kats...Why? I don’t understand and never have and I would need to see empirical data to believe that it makes business sense. There might be a small amount of new market share captured but mostly I feel like it simply cannibalizes the brand. I don’t feel like there are many people out there who were like I’m NEVER drinking Mountain Dew but I’ll sure as heck try a Mountain Dew Code Red.
Great thoughts. But consumers are such a complex spectrum of tastes, preferences, geographies, values, incomes and (thanks to clever analytics and sneaky marketers) ... perceptions. No ‘average Joe’ - especially in the digital age. I can’t help you with the empirical data, but it is easier to take an existing brand to a new market / demographic than it is to bring a new brand to an existing market. To take that successful existing brand and make it appeal to more folks, sometimes you just gotta tweak the product a bit and/or the messaging.
One world. One planet. One future.
Jb321123

Post by Jb321123 »

Happy pi day, will likely be a classic apple.

Just looked at the puzzle this morning. Did the solve, have ideas, but not clicking.

Boharr nudge was first and all I needed.
Last edited by Jb321123 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

On vaca and dl’ed the Joe Ross spreadsheet this am and finished the grid. Nadda yet, and i fear that the upcoming departure for Stan’s (outdoor bar on the water with a live Country band) will take precedence. On second thought, no fear at all. :-)
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

KayW wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:24 pm On another topic, I was so excited and thankful to get my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday! Second shot already scheduled for 4/2 - Good Friday - which in my book will be EXCELLENT Friday this year.
Too funny - I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Friday, also! I wanted to schedule my second shot for 4/2, but we will be out of town visiting our granddaughter and her parents. (Funny how the parents aren't the first ones mentioned anymore...Although my husband is planning on 3 rounds of golf with SIL while we are there. I will, of course, be playing with granddaughter and her Bitty Baby or reading lots of books. Or we might be doing yoga since she knows every pose and everything the instructor says for an entire 30 minute routine. And she is WAAAY more flexible than I am!) Anyway, I was thrilled to learn (via text and email) that I had gotten a vaccination appointment by signing up on a waiting list. The entire process was a drive-thru procedure, so very organized and staffed by many, many volunteers. We actually held up the line a bit by stopping to chat with three former neighbors at two different check points. :D
Sara
ScottOBX

Post by ScottOBX »

Newbie here. I had solved the last 5 weeks and was feeling cocky. This one had me stymied. I consulted with the wife and I think she gave me the necessary push in the right direction. A thoughtful shower later and I think I've got it. I really look forward to these each week.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

KayW wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:24 pm On another topic, I was so excited and thankful to get my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday! Second shot already scheduled for 4/2 - Good Friday - which in my book will be EXCELLENT Friday this year.

And overly impressed with myself that this geezer managed to take a left-handed selfie while someone jabs a needle into my right (dominant) arm:

shot.jpg

(I opted for shot in dominant arm because I usually sleep on my left side. But so far :crossed_fingers: I haven't had any soreness or other side effects.)
Hey dere, I see yer gettin' yer shot over dere at the Jewel's.

Hoping they open up the United Center for everyone soon, as I'm a 10 minute bus ride away from there. But I won't be eligible until everyone and their cat gets it first.
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:03 pm Good Saturday morning

A couple of things first
A great encouragement post by TPS at #193.

And for our newest muggles who may struggle as the meta get more challenging, there is a wealth of experience under ComeAboard/FAQ's - solving resources including:
Hints for Solving Meta Contests - experiences and advice from some of our muggles
Past WSJ crosswords - great resource of what our constructors have come up with in the past
Joe Ross's excel of each contest - great to use under most metas and exceptional for ones like last week

And a welcome to our newest muggles both here and on the WSJ comments page - Carter, Toast, ChrisWil, David Hogeboom, Danny Walter, Doc and Lauren Reilly

We have 5 muggles keeping Isaac company on the ship and 152 on the shore

With Isaac are
martimeryard
Henry Paul
SewYoung
Diane
Carter

and on the shore are

stmv
Kay
Joe R
Jim and Anita
Chris
Beth A
docison
Cindy
boharr
Tina
Mister Squawk
Eric P
Jack
Heidi
azdataboy
MikeM000
Les
RPardoe
sanmilton
Tmart
David K
M and M
Dan A
oldjudge
minimuggle
Meg
ky-mike
Franklin
Tom Mueller
Laura
Schmeel
jrdad
streroto
Thurman8er
Tony S
bskptkl
fuggedabowdit
JimJim
dplass
RobM
fstadler
Andrew B
LittleGood
Jace54
C=64
joequavis
whimsy
Sean
MajorDomoTom
Georgeall
Barbara K
Peter
Toby
Brandon
Beth T
damefox
Dannyvee
Scott L
edot
Alan H
BrennerTJ
Trey and Marion
seahawks seashanty
KscX
EmilyW
ReB
Cap'n Rick
Cosmo
Toast
TPS
seans
Larrry
mbryant
HeadinHome
escapeartist
lbary
Hidden in 3D
JaneGummy
Plymouth Rock
joes
Gman
ChrisWill
Gerry
Barry
David Hogeboom
PQ63
auee89
michaelm
Janet P
Beth C
beccacollins
Joepickett
Tom Wi
Wendy
Mike H
MatthewL
Commodore
ladybird
mattythewsjpuzzler
Moi
Glyn
sf592000
otlaolap
dudeski
Bill
dk letter
D B Miller
Fred F
Olaf
BigRedBob
Billy M
Homer
Janet
iggystan
Ed S
spotter
EVJ
HunterX
Jennifer
Bird Lives
rexthree
Pembroke
ALS
Flananigans
meowmiao71
Mary F
mpmanning
Alvibu67
Daniel G
DannyWalter
Doc
Lauren Reilly
Steveb
Tom S
Frank
joe
Notbitter
Dave C
bread-girl
tigerfly222
Olof
Cindy N
CallMeShane
Prozach
RDaleHall
JennyByrd
Peter L
MaineMarge
horsesense
Jean
Colin
TeaJenny

Good luck to all and stay safe
I shouldn’t be on the shore list! I am with Isaac. I felt sorry for him since he was a bit lonely the last couple of months.

I have a feeling I won’t make it on shore this week. I no idea where to go with this one, and I usually don’t have the patience to sit with it for too long. Oh well. My brief winning streak is broken!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I'm still on the boat on Sunday morning. Grid was easy and I see a pattern, just don't know how to put it together ... yet! Currently feel caught between hell and high water.
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

I am definitely not on a beach in meta world or in reality. I am enjoying a pi-day blizzard from the high altitudes of Colorado. The lack of printer access is hurting my Meta solving skills - nudge please!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I’m ashamed to announce that I’m still on the ship - in my cabin, no less - thanks to a nasty migraine, most likely induced by a week of corporate training via zoom. To add insult to injury, I seem to have picked up a case of the red herring syndrome going around the ship. The worst symptom is being unable to unsee a shiny object that leads me nowhere! I’m heading over to see Isaac now, hoping that a mimosa will shake things loose in my still addled brain.

In good news, I now qualify for the vaccine and was able to get an appointment for Thursday!
PJM

Post by PJM »

TPS wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm

I bought Lemon Oreos for the first time last week. They are deadly good (even though I haven't found the perfect go-with cocktail yet).

BTW I'm safely ashore. :D