"Overlaps" - March 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Congrats to the winner. (My mother always said be gracious in defeat). Learned a great lesson from this week’s puzzle. Look hard at those clues. I did not pay attention initially to the duplicate one word clues. Once I did, I had the answer quickly. Oh those clever constructors!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

How about that? Shingles! We have been waiting for some of those for 6 months to repair our roof damage from Hurricane Zeta on Halloween 2020!! Maybe this puzzle will bring us good luck!
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

FrankH wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:29 am When I got the answer, it was "the other" one I was thinking about, and so I was wondering what that had to do with OVERLAPS. I once lived in a house with shingle roof, but that was long time ago. My more recent encounter was getting SHINGLES; luckily I didn't get any long term effects.

Now here is something perhaps Dr Tom or others could answer. When I went to the doctor and found out what I got, I had never heard of it and so knew nothing about it (once I found out more, I said to myself I was too young to get it). I specifically asked the doctor if it was contagious, and the reply was no. Then the doctor said don't touch the blisters and then touch other things. I didn't get the gravity of that statement and said of course I wouldn't. What I didn't realize was that I would touch it, just not consciously doing it, so I would end up touching other things afterwards. When my then two-year old daughter ended up with a few red spots a few days later, I knew what she got, even though she had taken all the necessary vaccines. But since she did take the chickenpox vaccine, it was a very mild case. Now the question is, why did the doctor said it was not contagious? Perhaps I have a misunderstanding of the definition of the word.
It was DEFINITELY "the other one" I was thinking of... My 88-year-old mom just got the shingles, and it's been a nightmare. I really did not need to see that word again this past week!!! Ugh.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

tigerfly222 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:50 am
Cindy N wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:45 am
tigerfly222 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:37 amOn shore!
I noticed that post#222 is from tigerfly222. Alas, I do not have Dr. Tom's punniness to find a clever way to mention synchronicity. Hoping he posts some cleverness for us to enjoy.
I'm a little bit ashamed that I didn't notice it myself! :lol:
I'm thinking a variation on "Skip to My Lou" -

Posted by tigerfly-2-2-2
In reply # 2-2-2
<yada yada yada>
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

I am not a methodical puzzle solver, I tend to look at the first few clues, then jump about and fill in what I can easily, then work my way back through the gird. As I was completing it, I noticed the duplicate clues for 18A and 20A and they happened to be among the early fills. Now, along with the title, there's often a solve hint elsewhere in the gird - quite often in one of the last across entries.

So, when I saw "knotted" and looked at what filled in 18/20, I had something completely different in mind. That the letters we would use and overlap would be "knotted" in the puzzle in that overlapping way you see with Celtic knots. And it matched up with both the first and the last clue pairs.
Seeing SHA/AME and a title of Overlaps, combined with past puzzle experience, I thought "overlap on the last letter" so
SHAME. The next group, which matched up with paired clues even, was ESS. SHAMESS? Wait, what? Oh, never mind.

Obviously, it didn't hold up for the rest and I found the correct answer, but I was a bit deflated that it was just connected letters, nothing that was an overlap or a knot.
Attachments
wsj 03-05-21 Overlaps alternate.png
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

I did that CER and AMEs thing too! -- as well as a couple of IGN and NOTs (even though those didn't overlap) before seeing the double clue route.
ardentgailla

Post by ardentgailla »

The double clue was the first thing I noticed because when I saw "light" again, I thought "I already solved that one."
Aspiring MUGgle
I don't want to be "always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth." 2 Tim 3:7
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

FrankH wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:29 am When I got the answer, it was "the other" one I was thinking about, and so I was wondering what that had to do with OVERLAPS. I once lived in a house with shingle roof, but that was long time ago. My more recent encounter was getting SHINGLES; luckily I didn't get any long term effects.

Now here is something perhaps Dr Tom or others could answer. When I went to the doctor and found out what I got, I had never heard of it and so knew nothing about it (once I found out more, I said to myself I was too young to get it). I specifically asked the doctor if it was contagious, and the reply was no. Then the doctor said don't touch the blisters and then touch other things. I didn't get the gravity of that statement and said of course I wouldn't. What I didn't realize was that I would touch it, just not consciously doing it, so I would end up touching other things afterwards. When my then two-year old daughter ended up with a few red spots a few days later, I knew what she got, even though she had taken all the necessary vaccines. But since she did take the chickenpox vaccine, it was a very mild case. Now the question is, why did the doctor said it was not contagious? Perhaps I have a misunderstanding of the definition of the word.
My very limited knowledge (from frantic Googling a few days ago) suggests that shingles is not contagious as shingles per se, but is a bit contagious as chicken pox, and definitely contact with open sores is the most efficient way of spreading this particular contagion. It seems like your doctor could have been more specific :-) Take this with a grain of (Epsom) salt, though, I don't have any actual medical expertise!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Today's public service announcement.....From the Mayo Clinic site: "A person with shingles can pass the varicella-zoster virus to anyone who isn't immune to chickenpox. This usually occurs through direct contact with the open sores of the shingles rash. Once infected, the person will develop chickenpox, however, not shingles. Chickenpox can be dangerous for some people. Until your shingles blisters scab over, you are contagious and should avoid physical contact with anyone who hasn't yet had chickenpox or the chickenpox vaccine, especially people with weakened immune systems, pregnant women and newborns."
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

On a lighter note, specials for Dr Tom and a few others

John Travolta tested negative for coronavirus last night. Turns out it was just Saturday night fever.

The World Health Organization has announced that dogs cannot contract Covid-19. Dogs previously held in quarantine can now be released. To be clear, WHO let the dogs out.

I saw an ad for burial plots, and thought to myself that's the last thing I need.

Intelligence is like underwear. It is important that you have it but not necessary that you show it off.

Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y?

A courtroom artist was arrested today for an unknown reason... details are sketchy.

People are making end of the world jokes like there's no tomorrow.

My doctor told me I needed to break a sweat once a day so I told him I'd start lying to my wife.

Whatever you do, always give 100% unless you're donating blood.

What do you call a sleepwalking nun? A roamin’ Catholic.

A girl said she recognized me from her vegetarian club but I’d never met herbivore.

Dad, are we pyromaniacs? Yes, we arson.

I've always had an irrational fear of speed bumps but I'm slowly getting over it.

What word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it? Short.

I've finally told my suitcases there will be no holiday this year. Now I'm dealing with the emotional baggage.

If you're not supposed to eat at night, why is there a light bulb in the refrigerator?

My friend died when we couldn't remember his blood type. As he died, he kept insisting "be positive," but it's hard without him.

Don't let your worries get the best of you; remember, Moses started out as a basket case.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:15 am [A]lways give 100% unless you're donating blood.
Borrowed.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:27 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:15 am [A]lways give 100% unless you're donating blood.
Borrowed.
Most are repeats but all are good for DrTom
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
femullen

Post by femullen »

JeanneC wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:17 pm Congrats to the winner. (My mother always said be gracious in defeat). Learned a great lesson from this week’s puzzle. Look hard at those clues. I did not pay attention initially to the duplicate one word clues. Once I did, I had the answer quickly. Oh those clever constructors!
Ditto. I did the grid online, as I usually do, then stared and stared--again as I usually do. But you really can't see the clues together in the online version, so I printed the .pdf, looked again, and there it was. Unlike my cleverer colleagues here, I never thought that roof shingles overlap. Probably why I stare and stare.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:15 am On a lighter note, specials for Dr Tom and a few others

John Travolta tested negative for coronavirus last night. Turns out it was just Saturday night fever.

The World Health Organization has announced that dogs cannot contract Covid-19. Dogs previously held in quarantine can now be released. To be clear, WHO let the dogs out.

I saw an ad for burial plots, and thought to myself that's the last thing I need.

Intelligence is like underwear. It is important that you have it but not necessary that you show it off.

Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y?

A courtroom artist was arrested today for an unknown reason... details are sketchy.

People are making end of the world jokes like there's no tomorrow.

My doctor told me I needed to break a sweat once a day so I told him I'd start lying to my wife.

Whatever you do, always give 100% unless you're donating blood.

What do you call a sleepwalking nun? A roamin’ Catholic.

A girl said she recognized me from her vegetarian club but I’d never met herbivore.

Dad, are we pyromaniacs? Yes, we arson.

I've always had an irrational fear of speed bumps but I'm slowly getting over it.

What word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it? Short.

I've finally told my suitcases there will be no holiday this year. Now I'm dealing with the emotional baggage.

If you're not supposed to eat at night, why is there a light bulb in the refrigerator?

My friend died when we couldn't remember his blood type. As he died, he kept insisting "be positive," but it's hard without him.

Don't let your worries get the best of you; remember, Moses started out as a basket case.
Oh, I LOVE these. I will store them along with my cache of silliness and who knows they may be resurrected in the future.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I laughed out loud at "My friend died when we couldn't remember his blood type. As he died, he kept insisting "be positive," but it's hard without him."
KayW

Post by KayW »

I got a chuckle out of 17-across in today’s “regular” WSJ puzzle B-EAST. The constructors might have gotten that entry from our forum of about a month ago... (tho I’d seen it elsewhere too)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/b-east-wed ... 1614983515

Fun puzzle, too. Even if it’s not a meta.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:15 am On a lighter note, specials for Dr Tom and a few others

I guess that means he's Stayin' Alive?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

HunterX wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:52 am

Yep. He's Clear.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

HunterX wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:52 am

"Stayin' Alive" has a tempo of about 100 beats per minute--which is the same speed that you should do CPR compressions. So I would use that as my guide. My son brought up that "Another One Bites the Dust" is also that same speed. Which is actually more realistic with regards to the outcome of CPR, but I preferred to go with the more optimistic song.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

On paper & logically, that seems the optimistic choice, but having the Brothers Gibb screeching & caterwauling in my ear, no matter the urgency, might lead me to off myself mid-compression.

🕺👀🙉

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,