"Chemical Change" - February 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

This for me is a new experience. I'm easily on shore (as reported earlier), but flummoxed by the 45A 45D 52A 62A grid entries. Just can't resolve them into anything convincingly sensible. "We didn't watch much TV" (as I once reported without realizing how close it came to being a spoiler -- did not get that one) and so "Knight Rider" is just a pair of words. Would be trivial with Google, but that's not satisfying. Suspect that this week I'll be waiting at 9PM PST Sunday not for the meta answer but for the answer to the grid.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

On the beach (actually, was on the beach yesterday).

Gave this to my assistant at work, who has a relevant engineering degree, said "you'll like this".

He solved his first meta!
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore... another fast swim. I predict March waters will be choppier!
Michelle B

Post by Michelle B »

I've enjoyed these weekends at the beach party. You guys are fun! Hope I can make it ashore next week too.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Ashore!
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

Made it ashore finally.
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

On the beach. Tried to make this one more difficult than it actually was.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Confound it! Knew this would happen this month. Brain cramp won't let me escape this rabbit hole:
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.38.27 AM.png
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:26 pm On shore!

Woo-HOO! I have lanDED on shore after eMERGing from the icy waters. I saw the mechanism for the ANSwer partway through the grid and quickly got to work. Careful as you come ashore--I fear that the record crowds over the past few weeks might be leading to some beach ERosion and the footing is a little unsteady. I'll have a flashback to college days and have a hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps.
I always look forward to "hoodie" visits! They usually fly in for a day or two to dive and feast on all the small fish and crayfish in the lake (which is teeming with fish of all sizes because there are no boats, fishing or swimming allowed). I was happy to see (and report) three on the first day of the GBBC.
Sara
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

Ashore with the crowd.
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
ADS

Post by ADS »

I’m ashore as well. Nice simple one.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Toes in the sand
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

On shore after seeing the whole picture. Thanks Cruise Director!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Commodore wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:01 am Confound it! Knew this would happen this month. Brain cramp won't let me escape this rabbit hole:
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 9.38.27 AM.png
Commodore, how clever!! Some new Muggle rabbit holes to dive into...
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

On the shore after a nudge from our kindly cruise director. Make mine a mimosa since it's noon on a Sunday
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Ashore!
JustAQuickThought
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles and welcome to our newest member - Michelle B

We have 224 on shore and have a shot at the record of 250 last week (one staggered in after midnight having been on the beach but it took a while to sober up to claim credit)

Making it to shore since yesterday are

higgysue
MajorDomoTom
rexthree
mitchel674
Annabelle
hissongle
DrTom
Tripod
RichA2
Rad26
Scott L
tigerfly222
martimeryard
Limerick
Cap'n Rick
dk letter
Michelle B
Ed S
Jennifer
ADS
sphorning
JAQT
rosiegirl
Billy M

Good luck to all. Low odds of winning the mug but someone has to.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

On shore after a little push from our leader!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Scraps wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:52 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:30 pm
Our excitement (other than the wreck) was an unexpected visitor on our boat when we surfaced. There were two boats diving there and the other guys had a less than experienced guy who panicked, made an uncontrolled ascent, AND held his breath. Not a pretty sight, but he survived. Not really coherent when he surfaced and spit a little blood. Our boat was closest to him and picked him up. First time I'd heard an emergency recall beacon sounding under water. I can do without hearing it again. To add to the intrigue, I found out why my shop switched me to a different boat for this dive. The original boat sank last weekend. Salvageable, but needs some work. It was full returning to the harbor and took on water. Glad I wasn't on that one either!

My friend is coming in a couple of weeks to get his advanced open water cert, so I'll be back to the sea tiger when they check him out. Going to do the YO-257(?) the same day. Getting up early is rough for me, but the increased quality of the deep dives here makes it worth the trouble. And it sure beats work.

According to my log, Sea Tiger was a 107-foot dive. He's lucky to be alive after that uncontrolled breath-holding ascent. Glad he survived.

Normally, unexpected visitors on the boat are a source of light humor. I've never seen it paid off, but it's often joked about among dive masters that if one of your divers ascends the wrong line and ends up on the wrong boat, you owe the crew of that boat a case of beer. But your situation was not a joke.

We don't have many deep sites in my part of Florida. I'm taking a group on a three-tank dive to two wrecks this weekend: twenty miles offshore, and it's still less than 100'.
Twenty miles offshore in my part of Florida the gulf is only about 20’ deep (about 40 miles north of St. Pete). The only gulf diving I’ve done is offshore of Venice looking for megalodon teeth. It was a 20’ dive, but only half-mile offshore. I much prefer diving springs and sinkholes over diving the gulf in this area.
shalmanezer

Post by shalmanezer »

On shore, wondering if March's meta puzzle will roar in like a lion next week. Have to say that Feb metas were all lamb.