"Chemical Change" - February 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On shore! Just got around to the puzzle after spending the entire day working outside. Like others have mentioned, it took longer to complete the grid than it did to figure out the meta solution. So glad I decided to get some yardwork done before the rain returns tomorrow. The Japanese maples and camellias are now pruned, the herb garden has been cleaned up, and at least 4 of the planting areas out front are now weed-free! Still have lots to do, especially in the back yard, but it's always a good day when you accomplish more than you had planned.
Sara
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

On shore quickly. Hopefully, the Gaffney week 4 will be navigable.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Got it... easy, but after the last MGWCC I'll take it.
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

on shore! fun one!
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore, with a Cerebral Brewing double IPA.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Ashore... Also got it before completing the grid. After last week's Gaffney meta, this was a breeze.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Ashore, with a neighbor's homemade limoncello in hand
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

On the shore...this brought back nightmares from a certain high school class.
arlecchino

Post by arlecchino »

I think that’s a record for me... I’ve gotten the meta before finishing the grid before, but this is my first time solving the meta before even getting all the answers that were supposed to lead to the meta!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore with some Malbec. I really liked this one. Maybe not so hard but the mechanism is, well, satisfying. Natasha and I each had our favorite guesses going in (and why not, we come from different places). Again, not so bad that we solved quickly as the yard is a mess. All palms appear to be dead, but she thinks most citrus will recover (even after 15 degrees?). Patience is virtuous here. Aggie advice is to sit tight for a couple of months. Do taxes instead of pruning. Ready for some harder metas next month.
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:30 pm
Our excitement (other than the wreck) was an unexpected visitor on our boat when we surfaced. There were two boats diving there and the other guys had a less than experienced guy who panicked, made an uncontrolled ascent, AND held his breath. Not a pretty sight, but he survived. Not really coherent when he surfaced and spit a little blood. Our boat was closest to him and picked him up. First time I'd heard an emergency recall beacon sounding under water. I can do without hearing it again. To add to the intrigue, I found out why my shop switched me to a different boat for this dive. The original boat sank last weekend. Salvageable, but needs some work. It was full returning to the harbor and took on water. Glad I wasn't on that one either!

My friend is coming in a couple of weeks to get his advanced open water cert, so I'll be back to the sea tiger when they check him out. Going to do the YO-257(?) the same day. Getting up early is rough for me, but the increased quality of the deep dives here makes it worth the trouble. And it sure beats work.

According to my log, Sea Tiger was a 107-foot dive. He's lucky to be alive after that uncontrolled breath-holding ascent. Glad he survived.

Normally, unexpected visitors on the boat are a source of light humor. I've never seen it paid off, but it's often joked about among dive masters that if one of your divers ascends the wrong line and ends up on the wrong boat, you owe the crew of that boat a case of beer. But your situation was not a joke.

We don't have many deep sites in my part of Florida. I'm taking a group on a three-tank dive to two wrecks this weekend: twenty miles offshore, and it's still less than 100'.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

MatthewL wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:56 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:44 pm JUST A NOTE - AS WE BLOW THROUGH THE GRID AND THE META AND OUR COMMENTS, LET'S MAKE SURE THAT WE DON'T GO NEAR SPOILER TERRITORY FOR BOTH THE NEW MUGGLES AND FOR THOSE WHO ARE NOT OBSESSED ABOUT GETTING IT FAST
Do such people exist on this board?
My sincerest apologies, but I, alas, am one. I thought it would be a good opportunity to get my kids into a weekly zoom call. I haven't seen one of them in over a year since he is on the west coast. And the other is a few states away in college. But we can't all get together, usually, until Friday evening, after work and classes are done.

While I have not enjoyed having overly easy meta puzzles, which seem less fun (IMHO), it has afforded me much more time to chat with my kids!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

On shore

Enjoying the warm sun and breaking out the Michters as I steel myself for tomorrow's Gaffney week 4 puzzle
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Scraps wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:52 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:30 pm
Our excitement (other than the wreck) was an unexpected visitor on our boat when we surfaced. There were two boats diving there and the other guys had a less than experienced guy who panicked, made an uncontrolled ascent, AND held his breath. Not a pretty sight, but he survived. Not really coherent when he surfaced and spit a little blood. Our boat was closest to him and picked him up. First time I'd heard an emergency recall beacon sounding under water. I can do without hearing it again. To add to the intrigue, I found out why my shop switched me to a different boat for this dive. The original boat sank last weekend. Salvageable, but needs some work. It was full returning to the harbor and took on water. Glad I wasn't on that one either!

My friend is coming in a couple of weeks to get his advanced open water cert, so I'll be back to the sea tiger when they check him out. Going to do the YO-257(?) the same day. Getting up early is rough for me, but the increased quality of the deep dives here makes it worth the trouble. And it sure beats work.

According to my log, Sea Tiger was a 107-foot dive. He's lucky to be alive after that uncontrolled breath-holding ascent. Glad he survived.

Normally, unexpected visitors on the boat are a source of light humor. I've never seen it paid off, but it's often joked about among dive masters that if one of your divers ascends the wrong line and ends up on the wrong boat, you owe the crew of that boat a case of beer. But your situation was not a joke.

We don't have many deep sites in my part of Florida. I'm taking a group on a three-tank dive to two wrecks this weekend: twenty miles offshore, and it's still less than 100'.
108' at the very low end of the stern. I think he was above the deck when he shot up, so probably ~70-80 feet. This was still a coast guard inquiry event. Rule #1: Always breathe. Always breathe. And don't forget to breathe.

If you want to get really lost looking for your boat, the manta night dive in Kona is the place for you. A couple of dozen boats, that don't all dock at the same place. You just sit on the bottom shining your light straight up to attract plankton. Thankfully, all the boats know each other, so they can usually direct you to the right one. And it is a very unique dive with those monsters gliding by -- and there's a lot of them. Makes up for the lack of exercise. Totally happenstance that they started them. The long defunct Kona Surf hotel (now sheraton) put lights in the water 40 years ago, for romantic walks along the shore for honeymooners. Plankton came for the lights, mantas came for the plankton, divers came for the mantas. When the hotel was in receivership and empty the town paid for the lights to be kept on.
Rufus T. Firefly
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Wow. A Thursday evening solve and I’m way down on page 9. It’s all good. Anything that gives me a chance to “puzzle” is fine with me!

On the beach. A Conundrum white blend when you get a chance, CB!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Symphony Board Zoom
Made me late for puzzle-ing
I am on the shore.
Was gone all day and got home just in time to join the Symphony Board meeting. Then I really needed to eat something. Once I actually had a chance to print the puzzle, it didn't take long to solve and find the meta answer.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Fun, easy puzzle. Going to visit a friend’s ranch this weekend, so happy to have this one done early. Bob, please mark me ‘on shore’.
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

On shore with a Dragon's Milk Reserve
cinemagical

Post by cinemagical »

A fun one this week! On shore after about 20 minutes between the grid & the meta.

Too bad there's another full work day before I can enjoy my caipirinha.
~ Adam 8-)
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

On shore. Loved this one.