"Chemical Change" - February 26, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48 pm
Scraps wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:44 pm Ashore from my dives on a lovely calm day in the gulf, and now ashore from my brief meta swim.

I thought I'd try to find a drink named after a chemical compound. Failed. I did find something called the "Periodic Table of Cocktails," but I would blush to say the risqué names of most of those drinks out loud. Never mind.

I'll stick with a nice safe single malt neat. When my youngest son was in the Navy, he was allowed to bring back one bottle of spirits after a port call in Scotland. He gave me his only authorized bottle, a cask strength Auchentoshan. I have just enough left to nurse until sunset.
Sea Tiger, Honolulu Harbor yesterday.
That's a frogfish in the center of the picture that I took from WAY too far away.

GOPR0521r.JPG
That’s a nice site. When I dove it, there was a sea turtle hanging around the mooring buoy. When we descended the line, he fell right in line and swam down with us.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Yeah, I'm here too. Quick one.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Done.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

We're going to mourn the arrival of March. February has been just our speed. On shore!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore! Very straightforward but I really appreciate the clever construction and fascinating clues!
We’ll know in one week whether the difficulty ramps up slowly or if they are going to hit us hard now that Feb. is over.
M and M

Post by M and M »

February has indeed been restful for meta-solving, and along with the rest of you, I'm wondering what March will hold...

Anyway, this was a nice one.
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

Ashore! This was a fun one - clever construction!
It's a coffee table book about coffee tables
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

escapeartist wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:48 pm about 80% there, but something isn't adding up here...

Gotta figure out what I'm doing wrong.

*Furiously dog-paddling*
Let’s just say I was actually less than 50% there until I finally figured it out - slaps forehead.

(Solvers will likely guess what I did wrong)

ON THE BEACH!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Did not have high hopes when reading the answer hint.
But, I’m on shore! 🏖
Konnie
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore.
fstadler

Post by fstadler »

Ashore, after a short detour. Hope I've rested enough for the puzzles to come.
Powers2020

Post by Powers2020 »

Ashore. Enjoyed this one very much! Nice construction, although I tried to make it too hard! I am a little nervous for what Mike has in store for us in March! :o
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

On shore. Fun one.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening. It is just after 9 here on the east coast so the contest has been out 5 hours. And we have 110 on the shore. (plus Meg's cabana boy)

Another crowded week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On shore. Great intro puzzle. Multiple examples of solving hints were on display here.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Crest

Post by Crest »

Easy and clever!
Kas

Post by Kas »

On shore! Neat construction aside, a Kas 1.
Yet, I have this sense that Matt is using this time to brew up some doozies.
Cauldron boil and cauldron bubble,
Gaffney’s scheming up some trouble...
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Scraps wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:01 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48 pm
Scraps wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:44 pm Ashore from my dives on a lovely calm day in the gulf, and now ashore from my brief meta swim.

I thought I'd try to find a drink named after a chemical compound. Failed. I did find something called the "Periodic Table of Cocktails," but I would blush to say the risqué names of most of those drinks out loud. Never mind.

I'll stick with a nice safe single malt neat. When my youngest son was in the Navy, he was allowed to bring back one bottle of spirits after a port call in Scotland. He gave me his only authorized bottle, a cask strength Auchentoshan. I have just enough left to nurse until sunset.
Sea Tiger, Honolulu Harbor yesterday.
That's a frogfish in the center of the picture that I took from WAY too far away.

GOPR0521r.JPG
That’s a nice site. When I dove it, there was a sea turtle hanging around the mooring buoy. When we descended the line, he fell right in line and swam down with us.
Our excitement (other than the wreck) was an unexpected visitor on our boat when we surfaced. There were two boats diving there and the other guys had a less than experienced guy who panicked, made an uncontrolled ascent, AND held his breath. Not a pretty sight, but he survived. Not really coherent when he surfaced and spit a little blood. Our boat was closest to him and picked him up. First time I'd heard an emergency recall beacon sounding under water. I can do without hearing it again. To add to the intrigue, I found out why my shop switched me to a different boat for this dive. The original boat sank last weekend. Salvageable, but needs some work. It was full returning to the harbor and took on water. Glad I wasn't on that one either!

My friend is coming in a couple of weeks to get his advanced open water cert, so I'll be back to the sea tiger when they check him out. Going to do the YO-257(?) the same day. Getting up early is rough for me, but the increased quality of the deep dives here makes it worth the trouble. And it sure beats work.
Rufus T. Firefly
mheverson

Post by mheverson »

Grateful for the quickie after Matt's last puzzle (which I couldn't work out even with a nudge). Sipping a Stone IPA on the beach trying to find my zen place before the Week 4 drops.
wordsmith

Post by wordsmith »

On the beach! Feeling like we've sailed through February with flying colors!