"In Character" - February 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Apparently I forgot to post several pages ago. Not quite sure how that happened, but definitely ashore!
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore cap’n. Agree with @BrianMac. Words to regret soon I’m sure.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:11 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 am Ashore.. off to San Diego for the weekend to visit USMC brother. Hope to be sipping a Bloody Mary at the Hotel Del Coronado in about 24 hours
The Hotel Del! I remember it fondly. Such a beautiful place in such a picturesque setting! My husband and I splurged on some wonderful meals there during the time he was stationed at NAS North Island 30-ish years ago. We also attended a very elegant Military Ball there. We have good friends who live in Coronado now, he was a Navy pilot with my husband, and his wife was an event planner at Hotel Del until she retired a few years ago. Enjoy your stay in San Diego - our favorite duty station of them all!
I attended a conference at the Hotel Del once, and even though the rooms were within our per diem (well, close), my co-author and I thought it was too opulent for civil servants, so we got rooms at a place nearby. But man, what a gorgeous place... the architecture... the Ballroom... and Marilyn Monroe.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done (yesterday) and done (today). Lookin' for me onshore? 58A!

TFTXWD
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Al Sisti wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:23 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 am Ashore.. off to San Diego for the weekend to visit USMC brother. Hope to be sipping a Bloody Mary at the Hotel Del Coronado in about 24 hours
The Hotel Del! I remember it fondly. Such a beautiful place in such a picturesque setting! My husband and I splurged on some wonderful meals there during the time he was stationed at NAS North Island 30-ish years ago. We also attended a very elegant Military Ball there. We have good friends who live in Coronado now, he was a Navy pilot with my husband, and his wife was an event planner at Hotel Del until she retired a few years ago. Enjoy your stay in San Diego - our favorite duty station of them all!
I attended a conference at the Hotel Del once, and even though the rooms were within our per diem (well, close), my co-author and I thought it was too opulent for civil servants, so we got rooms at a place nearby. But man, what a gorgeous place... the architecture... the Ballroom... and Marilyn Monroe.
I stayed there once for business meetings in the 90’s. It happened to be the 40th anniversary of Some Like It Hot, and Tony Curtis was there as part of the celebration. Unfortunately I didn’t take the opportunity to say “Nobody’s perfect” to anyone during my stay.
cpelster

Post by cpelster »

Ashore. I haven’t read the novel. Guess I probably should!
burak

Post by burak »

This isn't even Meta 101, it's more like Pre-Meta in terms of difficulty. Perfect for someone who wanted to try metas but didn't know where to start. I mean, it was solid puzzle but we could have at least done without the asterisks in the clues.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. I don’t mind an easy one once in awhile. But at this point I’m starting to miss the hard ones.
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

I’m ashore with my Jack & Ginger Ale. Odds on winning the mug will be 1 in 3000 this week. With help from my beloved wife, I got it. She read the novel while I only heard of it.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 pm
What plane did your husband fly?
He flew SH-2F helicopters out of NAS Norfolk on the East Coast and SH-60B helicopters out of NAS North Island on the West Coast. Desert Storm was his last overseas deployment before heading back to DC for a second tour. His final duty station was at US Central Command in Tampa before retiring with 20 years of service.
Sara
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:59 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:14 pm

What plane did your husband fly?
He flew SH-2F helicopters out of NAS Norfolk on the East Coast and SH-60B helicopters out of NAS North Island on the West Coast. Desert Storm was his last overseas deployment before heading back to DC for a second tour. His final duty station was at US Central Command in Tampa before retiring with 20 years of service.
Give him my thanks. He was in harms way several times.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Just a quick update. We have 240 on the shore eclipsing our previous record of 233.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Ashore in 23 minutes. Fastest swim to date for me.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore, still looking to see if there are more clues.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

PHOFER wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:52 am Ashore. I don’t mind an easy one once in awhile. But at this point I’m starting to miss the hard ones.
Ooooo! What you said!!! :lol:
Konnie
PJM

Post by PJM »

On shore. I need to start doing these earlier...the line at the bar is five deep. :D
LaPetiteFlora

Post by LaPetiteFlora »

On shore! Another quick one - glad my wife knew the reference because I probably would've missed it...
ricky

Post by ricky »

Ashore. Had the meta answer in 4m, before I even finished the grid - probably 2nd fastest solve since I started timing myself. Really good meta with a great revealer nonetheless.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

On the shore. :)
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

ImOnToo wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 am
PHOFER wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:52 am Ashore. I don’t mind an easy one once in awhile. But at this point I’m starting to miss the hard ones.
Ooooo! What you said!!! :lol:
I second that!

These easy ones just go too quickly. No savoring. And the Muggles end up being quieter. No one saying they struggled, or when the "A HA!" moment came to them. No one asking for or offering nudges. Everyone pretty much posts how they solved the meta before finishing the grid then spend the rest of the weekend "being productive." (Geesh!)

I can't even remember whether the cabana boy brought me my drink(s). Just remember waking up with that gritty sand feeling in my mouth, and a vague recollection that it was Friday last I checked....