"In Character" - February 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Quick and easy on shore!
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

On the beach now, and ready to bask
“In the sun?” you may very well ask
No, the glow of my solving
The meta, involving
What today seemed a very small task

This grid and meta came in what may be record time for me. I didn’t even have time to finish my coffee as I got to the puzzle over breakfast. My speed gave me extra time to search for the origins of a quote from the novel that my mother would recite to my sisters and me when we were young.

Seems it did not originate with the author but from a more distant source and has also been used in at least one other book by a well known author. I will share the rest of this story, not likely a spoiler, after Monday’s reveal if anyone is interested.
Last edited by Limerick Savant on Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Scraps wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:03 pm
EDIT: I just realized you hadn't seen the puzzle and really didn't know I wasn't giving anything away. But you do kid a lot, so I thought maybe you were. Anyway, I see that you have solved the puzzle, and I hope you agree I was of no help at all.
Yes, you were NO help at all! (Harumph.) Why else read the Muggle bboard?
(Yes, kidding there.)

No, I hadn't done the puzzle, so I was just checking. If it was like last week, where a comment gave me the answer before I even started, I would have had to hit the :!: button to tattle tale on you. ;)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning muggles

We are on the verge of a record once again with 228 on shore and our record of 233 set two weeks ago is in sight.

But first a welcome to our newest muggles - Daniel Jones, iggystan, Darlynn Rorer, Brandow, OffandRunning, Robert Lefevre, Josepth McGrath, Daniel Bergman, awalk1, PatientlyGator, Brian Balster, and Ergcat. Welcome to the clan and have fun. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Our shore party is

MatthewL
Peter
Al
C=64
Kay
Wendy
Joe R
Mike H
stmv
Jim and Anita
David K
sanmilton
ky-mike
jrdad
Bird Lives
Les
Brian M
Scott M
KRM
Beth A
paige
Jordanian
Jean
boharr
mattythewsjpuzzler
Laura
Barbara K
Tom Wi
Joepickett
Toby
Dannyvee
escapeartist
Mister Squawk
Moi
Seadub
tim1217
Anita
Beth T
TPS
JimJim
Tom Mueller
minimuggle
oldjudge
Heidi
Jeremy
ajk
Richard
802puzzler
Amanda Hugginkiss
yourpalsal
Alan H
mheverson
Georgeall
ladybird
joequavis
Steveb
Emmajane
Franklin
streroto
NuYear68
ReB
higgysue
MikeM000
Plymouth Rock
joe
jhseeman
Commodore
Glyn
b4alltime
jimbo1
hunkra
Dan A
Schmeel
otlaolap
Cindy
Andrew B
whimsy
fstadler
Liz
Jkj
Meg
Chris
michaelm
MajorDomoTom
dudeski
D B Miller
lbary
Homer
Crest
sharkicicles
ALS
rosiegirl
Debbie
shalmanezer
EVJ
Brian Balster
Ergcat
Janet
SusieG
MaineMarge
dplass
TeamDoubleTow
Jace54
Peter L
flyingMoose
adodz
edot
CPJohnson
M and M
Sean
PatentlyGator
Lyman
mikeh
RobM
Bob Kerfuffle
Dave C
Mary F
Omnibus
LittleGood
cbarbee
mbryant
Janet P
Dow Jones
Softie
cinemagical
rexthree
Eric P
CallMeShane
scraps
NDStegs
SewYoung
Blair
Tina
TomandDenise
Wordsmith
JeanneC
Lacangah
Hidden in 3D
Bill
seahawks seashanty
Gman
Trey and Marion
madhatter5
PQ63
mel87
Kevan
eagle1279
Frank
Kas
mitchel674
Matthew
Jack
awalk1
ImOnToo
Prozach
Annabelle
Douglas
Sara Dacus
JaneGummy
Rita and George
damefox
Cosmo
Diane
auee89
sf592000
joes
hissongle
mpmanning
Joel
Susan G
Deb
FirstMax
Robert Lefevre
Joseph McGrath
Daniel Bergman
Peter Merwin
Ed S
Henry Paul
DrTom
Flananigans
Tripod
Billy M
wb93
Tony S
JRS51
TeaJenny
Roberta
Bob G
Darlynn Rorer
Brandon
OffAndRunning
spotter
Jackie88
RDaleHall
bread-girl
norrin2
Dennis
Powers2020
RichA2
Ruthmary Wein
TheCatt
Rad26
Joseph B
Darlene
iggystan
Kris Zacharias
Scott L
HunterX
Colin
Jaclyn
Tom S
copperriver
Ann
meowmiao71
tigerfly222
martimeryard
Olof
EmilyW
BreeZynCO
Grover
Alvibu67
Daniel Jones
KscX
Beth C
Olaf
WSJosh
Big Mac
Natalie

Let me know if I missed anyone as we want to set a new record.

And tomorrow's noon report will be delayed as I will be at a birthday brunch for my daughter.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:30 pm
Grover wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 pm On shore. We need a Hawaii sized island. Oahu would never hold this crowd.
That's why they call it the Big Island. Watch for lava flows though.

Because, well, Lava Hot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1FrzTazY7A
I think I would have preferred a Rick Roll to that one.
flamingbear

Post by flamingbear »

Another crowded week, another week just behind the update. Count me onshore and among those who have almost nothing but a cursory knowledge of the novel. I’ll have a mead.
Matt / Flamingbear
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:29 am
HunterX wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:33 pm On shore.

Wait... I tipped the cabana boy QUITE well to ensure he set up a well appointed and well equipped cabana for me, with a sunset view over the bluest part of the ocean, just above high-tide mark, and a ready supply of appropriately chilled Vinho Verde. Yet where is he? Too busy running around serving umbrella-drinks to the ladies, I see? And there's no room for my cabana? He left me a sandy Smurf towel to sit on!?! WELL I NEVER!!! (Okay, maybe once in the 70's...)

Fine... I'll just get a burger and one of those $12 bottles of wine that's been "aged" in bourbon barrels to give it more kick. If I can't live in style, at least I can live in a blissful stupor.
LOOK! Up on the beach...is it a bird, is it a crane....no it's Stuporman. Able to leap tall sandy towels with a single bound

Yes, it's Stuporman ... strange visitor from another zip code, who came to the island with powers and abilities far beyond those of moral men! Stuporman ... who can change the course of mighty rivers of thought, bend words with his bare mind, and who, disguised as Hunter X, mild-mannered meta solver for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for [6 letter word for veracity], [7 letter word for fairness], and the [Expresso shot topped with hot water at Starbucks] way!
Ah, Dr. Tom. We meet again. I Marvel at your wit. I'd ask what caper you were up to, but I see you fully consumed your bloody mary and have not even a stalk of celery left. And as I gaze down the beach, across the water, just past the Incredible Hulk sitting off the pier, and listen to the dulcet sounds of Black Sabbath's Iron Man playing over the tiki bar speaker, I see we can Watch Men play volleyball. But I would say to you, "Doctor, Strange, it's only men playing. There's a woman standing there watching. I Wonder Woman doesn't join them." I remember the last time we were here on this beach and you told me to watch my step, saying, "Look, it's a Spider, Man." I was impressed by your Hawk Eye. But you didn't notice the other 3, so I said, "That's Fantastic, Four of them together!"

I have to stop. My pun-muscle is getting Thor...
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Because I was asked

Over the past 52 weeks, there have been 79,848 submissions with 62,671 correct or 78%. The average correct per week is 1205.

and since April 2016, there have been 288,625 submissions with 227,287 correct.

And many thanks to Barbara K for keeping the data that I have built on. To quote Isaac Newton "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:41 pm Because I was asked

Over the past 52 weeks, there have been 79,848 submissions with 62,671 correct or 78%. The average correct per week is 1205.

And many thanks to Barbara K for keeping the data that I have built on. To quote Isaac Newton "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".
Do you still track what percent of submissions are from muggles? Did it used to be around 1/7th? Any change in that since we moved to this new board?
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

HunterX wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:00 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:30 pm
Grover wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 pm On shore. We need a Hawaii sized island. Oahu would never hold this crowd.
That's why they call it the Big Island. Watch for lava flows though.

Because, well, Lava Hot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1FrzTazY7A
I think I would have preferred a Rick Roll to that one.
Here you go in 4k:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ocykBz ... e=youtu.be

Brother Noland is a legend among the Hawaiian music crowd. You can still see him live if you like him that much. :lol:
Rufus T. Firefly
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

HunterX wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:39 pm ...listen to the dulcet sounds of Black Sabbath's Iron Man playing over the tiki bar speaker...
"dulcet sounds of Black Sabbath's Iron Man"

Yes, that is my first encounter with that phrase.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:03 pm

Do you still track what percent of submissions are from muggles? Did it used to be around 1/7th? Any change in that since we moved to this new board?
I do keep track of that. Here are a couple of charts. The first one is the percentage on shore vs the correct WSJ entries. It shows that at the start of the covid a year ago we went from about 10% of the correct answers being ours (and I have to assume incorrectly that all who are on shore are correct because I don't know that percentage) and increased to about 15%. The second chart is the percentage on shore vs all the WSJ entries and that went from about 7% up to about 11%. However with the easy metas this past few weeks those percentages have dropped indicating that while we are having more on shore, the increase of the general submissions is even greater.

The average number of submissions to WSJ for the 52 weeks prior to February was 2632 and the average for the last three weeks is 3098 so there is an 18% increase in participation. And there is an increase in correct answers to the WSJ of 27% reflecting the lower level of difficulty that they told us about.
Attachments
Perecentage on shore vs correct.jpg
Percentage on shore vs WSJ entries.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dapperdan

Post by Dapperdan »

All ashore ...thank goodness for PBS.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:11 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:39 pm ...listen to the dulcet sounds of Black Sabbath's Iron Man playing over the tiki bar speaker...
"dulcet sounds of Black Sabbath's Iron Man"

Yes, that is my first encounter with that phrase.
Really? Huh. Not even in the parking lot before a Death Metal concert? Strange...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:30 pm

I do keep track of that. Here are a couple of charts. The first one is the percentage on shore vs the correct WSJ entries. It shows that at the start of the covid a year ago we went from about 10% of the correct answers being ours (and I have to assume incorrectly that all who are on shore are correct because I don't know that percentage) and increased to about 15%. The second chart is the percentage on shore vs all the WSJ entries and that went from about 7% up to about 11%. However with the easy metas this past few weeks those percentages have dropped indicating that while we are having more on shore, the increase of the general submissions is even greater.

The average number of submissions to WSJ for the 52 weeks prior to February was 2632 and the average for the last three weeks is 3098 so there is an 18% increase in participation. And there is an increase in correct answers to the WSJ of 27% reflecting the lower level of difficulty that they told us about.
Thanks! Interesting! I'd guessed that more people, and a bigger share of the total solving pool, was posting here. I expect some of the new people in the overall solving pool will find their way here and join us in time.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Oh, this blog is full of people like me.....People Who Like To Count Things! Thanks to all of you who do the record-keeping.
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:44 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:30 pm

Thanks! Interesting! I'd guessed that more people, and a bigger share of the total solving pool, was posting here. I expect some of the new people in the overall solving pool will find their way here and join us in time.
In general in the list of new people, if you see a first and last name, I got it from the WSJ comments.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

SeanS wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 am Ashore.. off to San Diego for the weekend to visit USMC brother. Hope to be sipping a Bloody Mary at the Hotel Del Coronado in about 24 hours
The Hotel Del! I remember it fondly. Such a beautiful place in such a picturesque setting! My husband and I splurged on some wonderful meals there during the time he was stationed at NAS North Island 30-ish years ago. We also attended a very elegant Military Ball there. We have good friends who live in Coronado now, he was a Navy pilot with my husband, and his wife was an event planner at Hotel Del until she retired a few years ago. Enjoy your stay in San Diego - our favorite duty station of them all!
Sara
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:11 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 am Ashore.. off to San Diego for the weekend to visit USMC brother. Hope to be sipping a Bloody Mary at the Hotel Del Coronado in about 24 hours
The Hotel Del! I remember it fondly. Such a beautiful place in such a picturesque setting! My husband and I splurged on some wonderful meals there during the time he was stationed at NAS North Island 30-ish years ago. We also attended a very elegant Military Ball there. We have good friends who live in Coronado now, he was a Navy pilot with my husband, and his wife was an event planner at Hotel Del until she retired a few years ago. Enjoy your stay in San Diego - our favorite duty station of them all!
What plane did your husband fly?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Missed the update, but ashore nonetheless. This one came quickly (grid and meta)... off to a Manhattan under the outdoor heaters!