"In Character" - February 19, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:53 am On shore! I was in the middle of a project when the puzzle dropped, so I never got around to it earlier. Couldn't get back to sleep after dreaming I was a character in "Halt and Catch Fire" and decided to get up and start the grid. Figured out the meta quickly, and now that good ol' Sleepytime tea is kicking in, so I'm off to dreamland once again.
Mark and I just started Season 2 of "Halt and Catch Fire." It is wonderful! Which character were you?
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

I think this is a first for me: I got the meta before I finished the grid! Thanks to the clue from George Eliot. Now, that's a novel I have not read ...
boharr

Post by boharr »

For those who solved the meta without filling in the grid, you may want to take a look. There's some elegance therein.
ReB

Post by ReB »

I see how Matt is constructing these February metas as tutorials. This week, with 36A he (1) wanted to prevent newcomers from being PAGENTED by telling them that 36A was not the answer, but just a hint; and (2) thereby alert solvers as to a prime axiom of meta construction that the solution is NEVER a single grid answer.

In normal times, the clue to 36A is an example what in the Muggle world would be titled a NUDGE.
Last edited by ReB on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
hissongcle

Post by hissongcle »

On shore. My best time for solving the meta. Fun contest.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore!
JaneGummy

Post by JaneGummy »

Another fast one! Jumped right out at me, brilliant mechanism. Thanks Mike
For all the bird lovers, this handsome burrowing owl just dug a burrow next door, we're hoping he'll attract a mate. Breeding season is March (which ties in nicely with this week's puzzle)
Attachments
Burrowing owl
Burrowing owl
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

Ashore.. off to San Diego for the weekend to visit USMC brother. Hope to be sipping a Bloody Mary at the Hotel Del Coronado in about 24 hours
sf592000

Post by sf592000 »

On the Beach!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

SeanS wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:32 am Ashore.. off to San Diego for the weekend to visit USMC brother. Hope to be sipping a Bloody Mary at the Hotel Del Coronado in about 24 hours
Ooh--envious. Cheers!!
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

The was a fun one. On the beach--sorry it's figurative as some warm sunshine would be nice. It's sure to be crowded!
Enjoy your weekend, Muggles.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Ashore (and wishing I wasn't in Massachusetts with this snow).
FirstMax

Post by FirstMax »

On shore. Like others, solved before I finished the puzzle.
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! Didn't start until this morning, so happy it fell together so quickly (even found the meta before completing the crossword, which is a first for us!

Rita and George
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore! Again, I wait until Friday mornings to start and that's when the puzzle is loaded on the WSJ iPad app anyway. Makes Fridays even more enjoyable!

I see posts saying the construction was elegant. Not sure I am tracking. As a newer solver of the WSJ Thursday and Friday puzzles (I am now addicted!), I would love to have a conversation with folks about your perspectives. February has been a good training ground as I now go back and work through the 2020 Friday puzzles. Feel free to message me if you want to have the conversation. Thanks!
Last edited by auee89 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

Annabelle wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:31 am I think this is a first for me: I got the meta before I finished the grid! Thanks to the clue from George Eliot. Now, that's a novel I have not read ...
I've read it.

It's highly regarded, more highly now than when published, but it never clicked for me.

Eliot deals with a lot of important subjects, but they are obvious, conventional ones, and she doesn't say much interesting about them.

The novel is praised for its many distinct characters, but I don't find many of them credible or their motivations interesting. When you compare xxxxxxxxxxx to Bleak House, similarly massive novels written twenty years apart, Dorothea Brooke does not measure up to Esther Summerson as a compelling female protagonist.
Last edited by Scraps on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

JaneGummy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:13 am Another fast one! Jumped right out at me, brilliant mechanism. Thanks Mike
For all the bird lovers, this handsome burrowing owl just dug a burrow next door, we're hoping he'll attract a mate. Breeding season is March (which ties in nicely with this week's puzzle)
How exciting! I saw my first--and only--burrowing owls last year when we were in Florida. My husband had meetings, so I drove over to Cape Coral to track down some owls!
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

I have a couple blanks on my grid, but I have submitted my meta answer.

I thought this one was a lot easier than last week.

I am enjoying easy street month!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore!
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

On shore. Pretty easy again this week. But welcome as we are still busy dealing with extreme weather and its aftermath here in Houston. We were kinda lucky as we regained power after 30 hours but still under boil water decree. And unrelated, garage door opener malfunctioned and Natasha and I are started installing a new one. Doesn't measure with the human suffering, but we are expecting to lose a lot of citrus and palms despite protective measures. Lots of gardening ahead. Mostly looking forward to get my toes in some real warm sand.