"Looking for that Spark" - February 12, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

So, last week, I tried to make it so difficult that I never caught on. I sure felt silly when I saw the answer. Yesterday, I arrived at an answer that I submitted. It's either so obviously wrong or so easily right. I guess I'll know tomorrow. Declaring myself ashore--looking for sunshine from wet, damp, dreary SC.
Happy Valentine's Day, all.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:10 pm ...if you missed it before, the WSJ will not be published tomorrow so the official results will not appear until Tuesday but I am sure there will be comments here.
Friday's WSJCC official solution should be posted on WSJ (& here) Monday, 4PM ET, on Tuesday's crossword PDF.

Unofficial answer & commentary will be posted tonight, after midnight, by muggles.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Ashore. I can see how the "aha!" moment could strike early, but (as typical for me) it didn't strike until I was done with the grid, and then some. And I got nothing for you about bird feeders.
Colin

Post by Colin »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:10 pm Joining the shore crowd since yesterday are
Colin
Bad haiku - sorry!
Still in the bar with Isaac
Rom-com not my thing.

(But maybe today’s sentiments will help me!)

EDIT: Sure enough, the gods (Venus? Eros?) helped me today and it clicked! Ashore
One world. One planet. One future.
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Safely ashore, along with everyone else.
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore!
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

OK, add me (finally) to the shore party. Much easier than I made it.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Just submitted. Had the meta on Friday, but only just now saw the mechanism. Somehow I am resistant to submitting if I can't see the pathway. Not sure this week's path is "elegant"; maybe just straight-forward. Thinking back, I believe my favorite "elegant" mechanism was the theme of "AP Chemistry", and, if I recall, that was not an M or M construction.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Getting super frustrated! I can't find a spark, and have no idea how 39A works. Nudge, please!
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Thank you for the nudges. I see it now! The title lead me completely in the wrong direction.
Happy Valentine's Day!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Colin wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:23 am Re squirrel-related devices: the collective experience here must surely know that squirrels don’t like safflower seeds? I was plagued with squirrels and switched from sunflower to safflower ... haven’t seen a single squirrel since. All bird varieties still feeding including red-bellied woodies. Hairy and downy only occasionally now, but cardinals increased frequency. Safflower a bit more expensive but well worth it and probably cheaper in total. Squirrels destroyed the wicker on our patio chair in between feeds!
That's useful information! Our squirrels have been discouraged by a Squirrel-Buster feeder, a Wild Birds Unlimited baffle, and a slinky (each on a different feeder). Our birds drop so many seeds that the squirrels are content to eat underneath the feeders.

(edit) My husband tells me he mixes safflower seed in with all our mixtures, except the niger seed.
Last edited by CPJohnson on Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynthia
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ashore at last!
Keeping my streak alive.
BreeZynCO

Post by BreeZynCO »

On the beach finally, though I am still not sure I see the mechanism.
burak

Post by burak »

Had to kinda backsolve this one, but the aha moment was pleasant nonetheless. Simple, when executed properly and with enough attention to detail, can be much warmer than complicated.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

11 Degrees in the Fort Worth/Dallas area of Texas with 4"+ of snow so far! We don't DO this! :shock:
Single digits expected for tomorrow.

Could you folks up north please come get your lost weather? :lol:
Konnie
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Feel kinda slow for not getting this one sooner. Went a a very wrong direction based on the title.

On shore with some kind of fruit juice and vodka.

Literally on shore with reservations at the Hula Grill this evening. Happy Valentine's everyone.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ImOnToo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:53 pm 11 Degrees in the Fort Worth/Dallas area of Texas with 4"+ of snow so far! We don't DO this! :shock:
Single digits expected for tomorrow.

Could you folks up north please come get your lost weather? :lol:
Don't worry. You are sending it to us in the form of freezing rain Monday night and into Tuesday.

Make sure you are on the zoom call Tuesday night to get the appropriate response :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BreeZynCO wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:46 pm On the beach finally, though I am still not sure I see the mechanism.
You are a muggle now. Welcome to the family.

Good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

CPJohnson wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:27 pm
Colin wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:23 am Re squirrel-related devices: the collective experience here must surely know that squirrels don’t like safflower seeds? I was plagued with squirrels and switched from sunflower to safflower ... haven’t seen a single squirrel since. All bird varieties still feeding including red-bellied woodies. Hairy and downy only occasionally now, but cardinals increased frequency. Safflower a bit more expensive but well worth it and probably cheaper in total. Squirrels destroyed the wicker on our patio chair in between feeds!
That's useful information! Our squirrels have been discouraged by a Squirrel-Buster feeder, a Wild Birds Unlimited baffle, and a slinky (each on a different feeder). Our birds drop so many seeds that the squirrels are content to eat underneath the feeders.

(edit) My husband tells me he mixes safflower seed in with all our mixtures, except the niger seed.
I have found the most effective squirrel deterrent is running a strong wire between two trees about 40 feet apart and 10 feet up from the ground and attaching the feeder to it. High enough to keep the bears away and hard enough to walk on to keep all but the most Walenda squirrels away.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director