"Looking for that Spark" - February 12, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

On shore
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On shore! Now I'll have no meta distractions during the Great Backyard Bird Count!
Sara
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

JeanneC wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:22 pm
mattythewsjpuzzler wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:12 pm On shore! Barolo tonight with home made Detroit-style pizza!
I’m familiar with Barolo (and fond of it) but not Detroit-style pizza. Thin, pan, stuffed, Sicilian or other?
It is a thickish pizza in a metal pan with lots of crispy cheese crust. Anything spelled "PIZZ_" is good. Meta?
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

Totally lost on this one...which I can't understand since everyone is saying it is so obvious! Will look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.
KRM

Post by KRM »

Maybe done, not sure. Since this one is being given a fairly high difficulty rating of 1.5 stars, my meta answer is probably wrong.

Btw, there is a post by a WSJ staff member mentioning a course that will teach how to get to the meta answer. This note is for those who solve the puzzle on paper and may not be reading through the conversation on the WSJ site.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Well that's the last time I stop off at the bar for "just a quick one".....

Capturebighops.JPG

Am now finally & safely ----

ASHORE
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

yep - this is #2 of what looks to be 4 puzzles to help get more people into solving these - they're in effect a course to get you addicted to meta puzzles.

A "free taste, just one little taste, it couldn't hurt, could it?"
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
TPS

Post by TPS »

rosiegirl wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:17 pm Totally lost on this one...which I can't understand since everyone is saying it is so obvious! Will look at it with fresh eyes tomorrow.
I did not find this one “easy” per se. Some times if you are attuned to looking for tough mechanisms you jump right into looking for tricks and reading into clues...when really if you take a step back there are some obvious things that jump out.
BeTheLight

Post by BeTheLight »

Easily on shore. You don't even need to get the mechanism for this one.
C=64

Post by C=64 »

BeTheLight wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:04 pm You don't even need to get the mechanism for this one.
I'm wondering whether this month's puzzles are going to be *too* accessible and therefore not good examples to teach newbies how to solve metas.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Ashore

I figured out the answer but was lost on the mechanism until...

I really like the construction of this one.

But with wsj pushing the contests with these easy-ish metas and explosive turnout, my hopes of achieving mug-dom are diminishing quickly.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Toby

Post by Toby »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:42 pm Ashore on page 4. 33A could also fit into the theme answers, for you lit nerds out there.
Another poem by 21D could also relate (loosely) to the theme.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Toby wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 pm
Franklin.Bluth wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:42 pm Ashore on page 4. 33A could also fit into the theme answers, for you lit nerds out there.
Another poem by 21D could also relate (loosely) to the theme.
I didn't know that one, but boharr pointed it out to me in a PM. So yeah...not a bad little Easter egg there.
TPS

Post by TPS »

BeTheLight wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:04 pm Easily on shore. You don't even need to get the mechanism for this one.
:lol: If there is a mechanism other than what is obvious on its face - I didn’t get it and even after getting the answer I still don’t see it - So I guess my answer is sorta a Hail Mary that happened to be right!
ajk

Post by ajk »

TPS wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:57 pm :lol: If there is a mechanism other than what is obvious on its face - I didn’t get it and even after getting the answer I still don’t see it - So I guess my answer is sorta a Hail Mary that happened to be right!
If you understand how an obvious clue (whose # has been redacted, please don't post spoilers - thank you! ) works then you've got the mechanism.

Edited to hide something that might be a spoiler.
Last edited by ajk on Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
seahawks_seashanty

Post by seahawks_seashanty »

Made it ashore! That was a fun one!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Like many here, I had the answer before fully understanding the mechanism being discussed in recent posts. If you get that, you'll have even less doubt.

I pondered whether Matt had that mind for the actual answer but dumbed the meta down a little because as Mike Miller explained, this month's puzzles are tailored to beginners.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I am safely on the beach.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ok, this time for sure? Of course that is what I said last week and only got half of it. This is, to those of us who have been doing it for a while, a rather easy trip to the beach, but I can tell you that if I had seen this back when I first started I would be pondering it still. I first thought to submit "12:08 East of Bucharest" or "I Do not Care If We Go Down in History as Barbarians" but then I surmised that it was not Romanian Comedies that Matt was looking for after all.

Oh, and to be clear I am declaring myself ashore amongst that proverbial throng. I'll stay out of the sand though because it makes me act silacy, guess it's ingrained.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Mister Squawk

Post by Mister Squawk »

Not being a romcom guy, it took a little help from Mrs. Squawk, but there you are.