"Poetic Justice" - February 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

The Joker's make-up = Smile Smudge
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

Greetings--as you may have seen in my colleague Taylor's post above, our February contests are going to be tailored to beginners (spread the word!), so that they can serve as our curriculum for a forthcoming guide to solving metas. The result: we blew past all our previous records, with 3762 submissions. About 76% were correct, right in line with our typical level. We take this as proof that the addressable market for metas is much bigger than we'd been reaching--we just need to build the right on-ramp. And for you seasoned Muggles, don't worry, things will get spicier in March. Meanwhile we had almost Pageant levels of guesses for JUDGE alone, with 849! Plus several other flavors of judges (Juvenile, Circuit, Small Claims, et al.)

Congrats to this week's winner who beat the longest odds yet: Peter Covert of Stanford, Calif.!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

22.6% submitted JUDGE. I wonder what percentage of us (myself included!) submitted something like BOWL GAMES in the PAGEANT meta?
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:29 pm 22.6% submitted JUDGE. I wonder what percentage of us (myself included!) submitted something like BOWL GAMES in the PAGEANT meta?
Only 13% submitted PAGEANT. I'd guess most of the remaining 87% were some variation of bowl games, but if Mike reported the exact number, I didn't record it.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:29 pm 22.6% submitted JUDGE. I wonder what percentage of us (myself included!) submitted something like BOWL GAMES in the PAGEANT meta?
That was never mentioned in Mike Miller's post. Maybe some of the statisticians here can verify, but I believe the percent of correct entries was in the teens.

JUDGE also popped into my mind immediately, but it seemed not satisfying. So I kept looking and it took me some time to find the answer.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:15 pm Greetings--as you may have seen in my colleague Taylor's post above, our February contests are going to be tailored to beginners (spread the word!), so that they can serve as our curriculum for a forthcoming guide to solving metas. The result: we blew past all our previous records, with 3762 submissions. About 76% were correct, right in line with our typical level. We take this as proof that the addressable market for metas is much bigger than we'd been reaching--we just need to build the right on-ramp. And for you seasoned Muggles, don't worry, things will get spicier in March. Meanwhile we had almost Pageant levels of guesses for JUDGE alone, with 849! Plus several other flavors of judges (Juvenile, Circuit, Small Claims, et al.)

Congrats to this week's winner who beat the longest odds yet: Peter Covert of Stanford, Calif.!
Awesome!

I still wonder how many people are out there who solve regularly but don't bother to submit. I can imagine lots wouldn't want to risk getting on some junk mail list (because who really trusts businesses to not sell their data) just for a small chance to win a mug.

Maybe you should offer a really really big prize sometime and see what happens :)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:15 pm Greetings--as you may have seen in my colleague Taylor's post above, our February contests are going to be tailored to beginners (spread the word!), so that they can serve as our curriculum for a forthcoming guide to solving metas. The result: we blew past all our previous records, with 3762 submissions. About 76% were correct, right in line with our typical level. We take this as proof that the addressable market for metas is much bigger than we'd been reaching--we just need to build the right on-ramp. And for you seasoned Muggles, don't worry, things will get spicier in March. Meanwhile we had almost Pageant levels of guesses for JUDGE alone, with 849! Plus several other flavors of judges (Juvenile, Circuit, Small Claims, et al.)

I wonder if these weeks should go into the record books with an * like steroid records in baseball??? :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Kind of feels like when that local musician you first heard and loved hits it big time?
Ah well, gonna need a bigger beach!
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:56 pm
Maybe you should offer a really really big prize sometime and see what happens :)
Wait, what?

The official WSJ puzzle mug is the pinnacle of all prizes on the planet, IMO. 8-)

Gimmie that mug!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:58 pm
I wonder if these weeks should go into the record books with an * like steroid records in baseball??? :lol:
I was thinking about the Bruins' scoring records in 1970-71 against expansion clubs.
steveb

Post by steveb »

The closest to me the mug has come so far! Just nudge it over a mile or two.
KscX

Post by KscX »

steveb wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:31 am
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:15 pm Congrats to this week's winner who beat the longest odds yet: Peter Covert of Stanford, Calif.!
The closest to me the mug has come so far! Just nudge it over a mile or two.
Last week it was 20 miles from me. This week it’s 2,690 miles from me. That’s a lot of progress lost.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Your trick worked at our house. My daughter and her boyfriend saw my puzzle sitting on the table Friday and tried to solve it. My daughter said “they’re usually too complicated for me,” but is willing to give it a go this week, since they’re geared for beginners.

Metas can be difficult for outsiders. When I was recently explaining a MGWCC week 5 my husband looked at me and said “I know you’re speaking English, but I didn’t understand anything you just said.”
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

C=64 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:13 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:58 pm
I was thinking about the Bruins' scoring records in 1970-71 against expansion clubs.
True but all six original teams were playing against those same expansion clubs.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Abide

Post by Abide »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:15 pm The result: we blew past all our previous records, with 3762 submissions. About 76% were correct, right in line with our typical level. We take this as proof that the addressable market for metas is much bigger than we'd been reaching--we just need to build the right on-ramp. And for you seasoned Muggles, don't worry, things will get spicier in March. Meanwhile we had almost Pageant levels of guesses for JUDGE alone, with 849!
22.6% of the submitted answers is a definite Pageant to me, not "almost" :ugeek:
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ron

Post by ron »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:56 pm

Awesome!

I still wonder how many people are out there who solve regularly but don't bother to submit. I can imagine lots wouldn't want to risk getting on some junk mail list (because who really trusts businesses to not sell their data) just for a small chance to win a mug.

Or possibly the mug allotment could be increased on a per capita basis so the odds wouldn't be even more remote than they are now.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Abide wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:00 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:15 pm The result: we blew past all our previous records, with 3762 submissions. About 76% were correct, right in line with our typical level. We take this as proof that the addressable market for metas is much bigger than we'd been reaching--we just need to build the
22.6% of the submitted answers is a definite Pageant to me, not "almost" :ugeek:
In fact, I would say we should now refer to trickster one more step answers as to be PAGEANT JUDGED!
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

SusieG wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:09 pm Metas can be difficult for outsiders. When I was recently explaining a MGWCC week 5 my husband looked at me and said “I know you’re speaking English, but I didn’t understand anything you just said.”
"It's simple. In other words, the Meta is analogous to purchasing an out-of-the-money put option contract on Gamestop using a long hard-fork position in a derivative bitcoin nano swap, pretend this salt shaker is 10 naked calls deliverable at the March triple witching while the spoon here is a clearinghouse....blah, blah, blah."
Mattbelc16

Post by Mattbelc16 »

Commodore wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 pm
SusieG wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:09 pm Metas can be difficult for outsiders. When I was recently explaining a MGWCC week 5 my husband looked at me and said “I know you’re speaking English, but I didn’t understand anything you just said.”
"It's simple. In other words, the Meta is analogous to purchasing an out-of-the-money put option contract on Gamestop using a long hard-fork position in a derivative bitcoin nano swap, pretend this salt shaker is 10 naked calls deliverable at the March triple witching while the spoon here is a clearinghouse....blah, blah, blah."
I understand every word you said. I just don’t know what they mean in that order.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Matt posted this on Twitter. Ada Louise Gaffney, bundle of joy, born 2/3/21.
Attachments
Ada b.jpg
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.