"Poetic Justice" - February 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Colin

Post by Colin »

At speed crossed the sea
Fellow bards at the Tiki
Rye whiskey for me!
One world. One planet. One future.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Ashore!
I enjoyed all the rhyming answers :)

Glad it was a quick one! I'm off to go hiking today, so now I'll be able to enjoy nature without stewing over the meta the whole time!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:51 pm Ashore.
That seemed way too easy.
But I won't worry about it.
Since I had extra time, I worked the MMMM for this month. If you haven't discovered it, you should give it a try.
pmxwords.com
hissongcle

Post by hissongcle »

On shore. Fastest I ever solved a meta. The grid usually takes me 15 minutes, the meta hours. The proposed Crossword Contest tutorial perhaps?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

jhseeman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:05 pm
zacmoretz wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:24 pm Ashore. Having an Eagle Rare with a few drops of water and a twist of lemon. I am reading “Pappyland” right now, that is how Julian Van Winkle III drinks his bourbon apparently. I would have thought he’d take it neat...
The important question is, is it Eagle Rare 17? or the 10?

Also I get the feeling that Pappy was drinking cask strength and when you have that you need to add a couple drops of water, else the alcohol is overpowering. I add a couple drops to my George T. Stagg cask strength and my Woodinville Whiskey cask strength. Sometimes will add some to my Pappy, depending on the weather.
Wow! What this tells me is that I am drinking my bourbon incorrectly because I'm not drinking it at YOUR house. Tell you what, I'll bring the few drops of water if you'll share the Stagg, and Pappy. I've been able, with the help of a friend, get my hands on Eagle Rare (10), Blanton's and Rowan's Creek and grabbed some Weller's 10 and C.H. Taylor on my own, but I'm still hunting Staggs and can't find my Pappy. I guess I'll just live vicariously, sigh.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

Joining the throng on shore. Will it be a record this week?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:53 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:37 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:00 pm
I don't know why Mary is going round and round. Is she the evil twin of Lazy Susan?

Or would that be the other way round...?
Well then around came Mary. The very first time we met I was out to lunch and had just consumed this very highly honeyed mead punch, leaving my cup just as sweet as the punch. Oh, I'm sorry I guess that was free Association....
Oh how I Cherish you comments. But if your responses get too Windy, maybe I'm Gonna Leave You on your own there.
VOLLEY

Well I am asked often if I could stop punning (or using song phrases/titles) but I could Never, My Love for them is too strong. Sometimes I even consider having a Requiem for the Masses of them I have used. The real problem is that it is far too easy because you can make one from almost Everything that Touches You. I remember when I was leaving my vessel in the US Navy and said Goodbye Columbus, I thought "hey THAT could be a song" but figured I was probably too full of ship. So you can't Blame it on Me alone, even when doing METAs I get tuned in, like when solving Will's puzzles (for which I often make notes or have staff do it) and I end up with Pandora's Heebie Jeebies. I guess that is to be expected when you get constructors from different generations because The Time it is Today and even if you feel it's No Fair at All and you want it to be Like Always it is never Just the Same when Enter the Young.

By the way, if it is not already very obvious, The Association was my very favorite group in college. They were the first concert I ever went to with the girl who would be my steady for the next four years. We went to probably 10 more of their concerts in different places and had all of their albums. I suppose if I had to pick one thing that told me I was officially old was when I heard their music on elevators - once your favorite group has been Muzaked you know your youth is history.
Insight Out.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

It was so easy, it didn't feel at all like -- a 1,760 yard walk through the mud and rain (10 letters)
In fact, it may even -- anger the 1999 AL MVP Ivan Rodriquez, familiarly (9 letters)

Enjoy the weekend.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

RichA2 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:47 am Joining the throng on shore. Will it be a record this week?
Well if you see me in a throng it will be SOME kind of record (but certainly nothing you would want to record). Oh wait, you said THRONG, never mind.
Eguinan

Post by Eguinan »

joining the crowd onshore...as so many have written, I kept thinking there must be something more here, but alas it was what it was.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:47 pm I’m on shore. But again...Audience Interaction Producer? Really?
Isn't this the person who holds up the "Applause" signs???
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:20 am
RichA2 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:47 am Joining the throng on shore. Will it be a record this week?
Well if you see me in a throng it will be SOME kind of record (but certainly nothing you would want to record). Oh wait, you said THRONG, never mind.
Please, DrTom

I just had breakfast and that vision...
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn »

Just got a chance to do the puzzle this morning -- finished the meta before the grid. Nice confidence boost!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our Saturday report is a bit early as we are going to our son's birthday party.

We have a bunch of new muggles - Al Jarvis, auee89, barry milliken and TeaJenny which brings us up to an even 850 muggles in our clan.

And the shore is mobbed with 195 safely socially distanced. And we have a couple on the empty ship using the self service bar until their credit maxes out. They have an answer which is most likely right (or all of us are on the wrong shore) but are not ready to jump into the water to swim to shore.

For those who were wondering the record on shore is 219 set last September.

For those who want to stay on the ship, the controls for the big screen TV are in the register behind the cash drawer. Enter your room key and use the code ADA to open the drawer.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:48 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:23 pm (yes, I'm on the beach, digging this weekend's pit for the Superb Owl party that we'll have on Sunday), what to do, what to do?
How have I never heard of this Superb Owl phenomenon?
So much better than Puppy Bowls or Souper Bowls. Now, where to find an owl on Sunday....
... in NYC, so I've heard.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

the MARTINi olives are in the jar to the left of the DEAN onions, next to the SAMMY lemon zests.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:06 pm
LadyBird wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:28 pm What if some random person gave himself/herself this title, put "WSJ" at the end of their name, and fed us a line about a class and starting with a really easy puzzle. It's really a hard puzzle--and they go home with the mug because we all submitted the wrong/easy answer.

Now, where did I put my aluminum foil hat? 8-)
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you!

But seriously, Taylor Nakagawa (assuming this is the same person) was the author of the "Meet the Muggles" article that ran in the WSJ last spring, so it checks out!
Next you're going to be telling me that Area 51 doesn't have UFOs. Or that the earth isn't flat. Or that there is no Loch Ness monster. Or that records played backwards don't have secret messages. I need a drink.
Ann

Post by Ann »

A nice one. On the shore.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

DrTom wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:37 am
jhseeman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:05 pm
zacmoretz wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:24 pm Ashore. Having an Eagle Rare with a few drops of water and a twist of lemon. I am reading “Pappyland” right now, that is how Julian Van Winkle III drinks his bourbon apparently. I would have thought he’d take it neat...
The important question is, is it Eagle Rare 17? or the 10?

Also I get the feeling that Pappy was drinking cask strength and when you have that you need to add a couple drops of water, else the alcohol is overpowering. I add a couple drops to my George T. Stagg cask strength and my Woodinville Whiskey cask strength. Sometimes will add some to my Pappy, depending on the weather.
Wow! What this tells me is that I am drinking my bourbon incorrectly because I'm not drinking it at YOUR house. Tell you what, I'll bring the few drops of water if you'll share the Stagg, and Pappy. I've been able, with the help of a friend, get my hands on Eagle Rare (10), Blanton's and Rowan's Creek and grabbed some Weller's 10 and C.H. Taylor on my own, but I'm still hunting Staggs and can't find my Pappy. I guess I'll just live vicariously, sigh.
A good friend and professional bartender thought I should learn about bourbon after being a Scotch and Irish whiskey drinker for decades. He started me off with a sample of Pappy. Now I'm ruined ... who can go backwards?
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Once more
Ashore.