"Poetic Justice" - February 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Ashore in record time, and squeezed in a cross-country ski along the lake before sunset. Ski conditions tend to be hit-or-miss in Central Ohio, but we've had some good snow this winter!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:00 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:00 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:03 pm

I was wondering what spin you might put on that one. But perhaps the political answer is to say I agree with you.

...then change my opinion when someone else asks me.
Well wouldn't that be a merry way to go round after round.
I don't know why Mary is going round and round. Is she the evil twin of Lazy Susan?

Or would that be the other way round...?
Well then around came Mary. The very first time we met I was out to lunch and had just consumed this very highly honeyed mead punch, leaving my cup just as sweet as the punch. Oh, I'm sorry I guess that was free Association....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:16 am Oh, and ashore, nice easy ride. I guess the blurb from the AUdience Interaction Producer (now There's a title I have never heard of before) explains the ease of solving. For a second there I thought Mike had had a new baby as well.....
Agree. The title makes me suspicious of the whole endeavor. It’s all part of the Pageant set up. Beware muggles!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

I’m on shore. But again...Audience Interaction Producer? Really?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:23 pm well, with an early release from Gaffney (another congrats for a healthy addition to the family) and with this softball thrown right down the middle of the plate (yes, I'm on the beach, digging this weekend's pit for the Superb Owl party that we'll have on Sunday), what to do, what to do?

Everyone stay safe, happy and distanced this weekend. No COVID outbreaks, none, nada, zip, nicht.
Superb Owl party, Who, Who is coming? Bet it will be a hoot!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Bob, if you want to list those still on the boat, count me. After reading pages and pages of comments about how easy this one is, I've finally supposed I know the answer. But I'm not submitting yet. How can that be the answer? And thanks for the tip about the olives!
Cynthia
Guy

Post by Guy »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:25 pm Sippin' a Guatemalan Sunshine ... ON SHORE!
What is a Guatemalan Sunshine?
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

Ashore. Looking for a warm drink on this cold evening.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:37 pm
HunterX wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:00 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:00 pm Well wouldn't that be a merry way to go round after round.
I don't know why Mary is going round and round. Is she the evil twin of Lazy Susan?

Or would that be the other way round...?
Well then around came Mary. The very first time we met I was out to lunch and had just consumed this very highly honeyed mead punch, leaving my cup just as sweet as the punch. Oh, I'm sorry I guess that was free Association....
Oh how I Cherish you comments. But if your responses get too Windy, maybe I'm Gonna Leave You on your own there.
mpmanning

Post by mpmanning »

Ashore, I believe.
rosiegirl

Post by rosiegirl »

ron wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:57 pm I read TNakagawaWSJ's post, but is anyone besides me worried that they only gave half an answer? I was comfortable with what I submitted but I looked again and am concerned there was a second part to it that I initially missed. Can't really say more though.
I have been thinking the same thing...and for that reason I have not submitted my answer yet.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! Nice way to start the weekend. Don't have to think about it during THE BIG GAME.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

Ashore. Having an Eagle Rare with a few drops of water and a twist of lemon. I am reading “Pappyland” right now, that is how Julian Van Winkle III drinks his bourbon apparently. I would have thought he’d take it neat...
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Ashore. At the beach (literally) so enjoying the Big Beach Brewing Pineapple Emergen-Sea. Delicious.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

So last night as I set my head upon my pillow, smug after the filing of so early an answer, I began to think of an old Twilight Zone episode, the end of which went like this:
“Mr. Chambers, Mr. Chambers, don’t get on that ship. The book, ‘To Serve Man...it’s it’s a COOKBOOK!!”.
What if I’m wrong?😬
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

JeanneC wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:35 pm So last night as I set my head upon my pillow, smug after the filing of so early an answer, I began to think of an old Twilight Zone episode, the end of which went like this:
“Mr. Chambers, Mr. Chambers, don’t get on that ship. The book, ‘To Serve Man...it’s it’s a COOKBOOK!!”.
What if I’m wrong?😬
I remember that episode very well
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore. Once again I'm uncomfortable with my answer because it seems too easy. Maybe I'm missing something but I have other fish to fry this weekend so I'm submitting the answer I got.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:44 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:16 am Oh, and ashore, nice easy ride. I guess the blurb from the AUdience Interaction Producer (now There's a title I have never heard of before) explains the ease of solving. For a second there I thought Mike had had a new baby as well.....
Agree. The title makes me suspicious of the whole endeavor. It’s all part of the Pageant set up. Beware muggles!
What if some random person gave himself/herself this title, put "WSJ" at the end of their name, and fed us a line about a class and starting with a really easy puzzle. It's really a hard puzzle--and they go home with the mug because we all submitted the wrong/easy answer.

Now, where did I put my aluminum foil hat? 8-)
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

zacmoretz wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:24 pm Ashore. Having an Eagle Rare with a few drops of water and a twist of lemon. I am reading “Pappyland” right now, that is how Julian Van Winkle III drinks his bourbon apparently. I would have thought he’d take it neat...
The important question is, is it Eagle Rare 17? or the 10?

Also I get the feeling that Pappy was drinking cask strength and when you have that you need to add a couple drops of water, else the alcohol is overpowering. I add a couple drops to my George T. Stagg cask strength and my Woodinville Whiskey cask strength. Sometimes will add some to my Pappy, depending on the weather.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:28 pm What if some random person gave himself/herself this title, put "WSJ" at the end of their name, and fed us a line about a class and starting with a really easy puzzle. It's really a hard puzzle--and they go home with the mug because we all submitted the wrong/easy answer.

Now, where did I put my aluminum foil hat? 8-)
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you!

But seriously, Taylor Nakagawa (assuming this is the same person) was the author of the "Meet the Muggles" article that ran in the WSJ last spring, so it checks out!