"Poetic Justice" - February 5, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
maprasad

Post by maprasad »

On shore.
Limerick Savant

Post by Limerick Savant »

Pen and paper are suited for me 🖌📰
But seems Muggles solve digitally 💻
And have all come ashore 🏝
Before news hits my door 🗞🚪
And I haven’t yet set out to see 🥺🚣
Last edited by Limerick Savant on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dedicated to no nonsense nonsense
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

On shore.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On the shore! Normally this fact would make me ecstatic on a Thursday night. Instead I no longer have my "meta excuse" - which is my go-to reason for not getting around to cleaning bathrooms. I was kind of hoping I could put that chore off all weekend...
Sara
ALS

Post by ALS »

Ashore. Easiest one ever.

ALS
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

Ashore.

Last week with the answer being Usher, I wondered if I should put “spoiler” after saying “ashore”.
Omnibus

Post by Omnibus »

It’s cold out - perhaps I could use a lambskin fur from Skye?
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done and done. Hey, I get to visit you all, again!

TFTXWD
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:31 pm Hello, fellow Muggles! I'm an Audience Interaction Producer at the Journal and I wanted to let you know about a project we're working on. The puzzles team is currently developing a how-to course that will slowly teach new puzzlers how to find the weekly contest's meta answer. All four of the contest puzzles from February will be included in that course, and that may be why this week's contest may seem a bit easier than usual for seasoned puzzle-contest fans. But don't worry, each week our editors will increase the contest's difficulty to ease new solvers into the world of contest puzzles. Good luck to you all and keep an eye out for the crossword contest course coming soon.
I recall an article the WSJ printed in approximately mid-March. It was around the 18th, I'm guessing, since it alerted me to the existence of the Friday meta puzzle and this group. (My spreadsheet shows my first meta was on 3/20 last year.) And I do think the hints posted on this site are more than sufficient to get people not only started, but proficient. The meta can use all sorts of constructions. So all you're really doing is telling people to look at all sorts of things and see what connections you can find. But, far more importantly...

Why on EARTH are you trying to INCREASE the competition for the mug??? I've been submitting for MONTHS with nothing to show for it.

Well... except my wonderfully complete spreadsheet with all sorts of calculations and this cool pivot table that shows success rates for mechanisms by constructor and... Sorry. Got carried away there.

Ah, pivot tables....
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Didn't get started until this evening - and on shore. Sweet!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:27 pm
TNakagawaWSJ wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:31 pm Hello, fellow Muggles! I'm an Audience Interaction Producer at the Journal and I wanted to let you know about a project we're working on. The puzzles team is currently developing a how-to course that will slowly teach new puzzlers how to find the weekly contest's meta answer. All four of the contest puzzles from February will be included in that course, and that may be why this week's contest may seem a bit easier than usual for seasoned puzzle-contest fans. But don't worry, each week our editors will increase the contest's difficulty to ease new solvers into the world of contest puzzles. Good luck to you all and keep an eye out for the crossword contest course coming soon.
I recall an article the WSJ printed in approximately mid-March. It was around the 18th, I'm guessing, since it alerted me to the existence of the Friday meta puzzle and this group. (My spreadsheet shows my first meta was on 3/20 last year.) And I do think the hints posted on this site are more than sufficient to get people not only started, but proficient. The meta can use all sorts of constructions. So all you're really doing is telling people to look at all sorts of things and see what connections you can find. But, far more importantly...

Why on EARTH are you trying to INCREASE the competition for the mug??? I've been submitting for MONTHS with nothing to show for it.

Well... except my wonderfully complete spreadsheet with all sorts of calculations and this cool pivot table that shows success rates for mechanisms by constructor and... Sorry. Got carried away there.

Ah, pivot tables....
Well pivotables are nice...
merrygo.jpg
But I've always thought of them as more of an Ohhh than an Ahhh?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh, and ashore, nice easy ride. I guess the blurb from the AUdience Interaction Producer (now There's a title I have never heard of before) explains the ease of solving. For a second there I thought Mike had had a new baby as well.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Ashore, but concerned that the prospect for maitais has been reduced by you lot drinking all the rum. :D
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Gman

Post by Gman »

Oh NOOOOOO! My streak will surely end by week 4 of February!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

On shore. I am surprised to get on here before page 10. Maybe I should have skipped my rule about finishing the grid before submitting and posting.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Technically I’m on shore, but sensibly I’m staying with Isaac, where the odds are much better of getting my drink of choice.
And Muggles! How about we give Bob a pass this week on typing every single one of our names?? A simple “All ashore” will do.

IRL I’ll trudge down to the back garden on snowshoes to visit the sleeping friends, not begrudging them a well earned rest.
27538A7E-DF40-4FC0-842A-BAFE769DD257.jpeg
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

On shore. Easy but fun.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

On shore!
Miki

Post by Miki »

My son enjoys seeing his parents do the Friday puzzle. When he saw how quickly we solved yesterday HE was disappointed. He likes watching us struggle and then see that AHA moment. This week the aha moment came so quickly, it was more like a nod and a quick mumble of aha.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

For the first time, I’ve finished both my weekend puzzles (WSJ and MGWCC) before the weekend even started. Here’s hoping there will be a HEX cryptic or I might have to do productive things around the house this weekend.