"Make Him From Them" - January 29, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:47 pm
RichA2 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm I have a solution. It isn’t elegant (and as the song goes, “If you ain’t got elegance, you can never ever carry it off”) but I am going to submit it and see what happens. Bob, count me as still at sea until I wake up tomorrow morning and find out whether I made it ashore.
If you think you are on shore - any shore, even a deserted island, we count you on shore. You will not be the first to throw a hail Mary and have it caught.
Schrödinger's Muggle: Can be thought of as both on shore and at sea, until the meta is revealed.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Finally on shore. I hope its the right one. I don't see anything that points to any other answer, so...
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Ten inches and still falling. Went for a walk (snowshoes would have been easier if we had them) in the nearest green space to our house--the Jewish cemetery.
20210131_141424.jpg
PJM

Post by PJM »

Scott Medvetz wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:59 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:23 pm
jenirvin wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:28 pm On the shore, waiting for snow.
OOH - DC in a snow storm. My favorite time and place. I remember sitting in a plane at Reagan for hours waiting to take off.
And I remember sitting for 3 hours on 95N in Woodbridge, about 20 miles south of my destination, as the normal 4 lanes of traffic turned into 7 lanes of total anarchy. My view today in Central VA is much better.
I remember at age 17 sitting for 6 hours in 16th Street. It's some sort of rite of passage for a native Washingtonian like myself.

Today, however, I am happily ashore (after several weeks AWOL) and awaiting an impending 15 inches with a truly satisfying concoction some call a Winter Old Fashion (bourbon, port, fruit-infused syrup, and Dram's Black Bitters).
ClayD

Post by ClayD »

inelegantly ashore, looking forward to the solution
mitchel674

Post by mitchel674 »

I'm on the beach after getting stumped last week.
sf592000

Post by sf592000 »

Long time listener, first time caller. I began attempting the Friday's CC a few months ago and have yet to come ashore -- I believe I'm on the beach for the first time -- looking forward to the answer tomorrow.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:54 pm
RichA2 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm I have a solution. It isn’t elegant (and as the song goes, “If you ain’t got elegance, you can never ever carry it off”) but I am going to submit it and see what happens. Bob, count me as still at sea until I wake up tomorrow morning and find out whether I made it ashore.
If you think you are on shore - any shore, even a deserted island, we count you on shore. You will not be the first to throw a hail Mary and have it caught.
Schrödinger's Muggle: Can be thought of as both on shore and at sea, until the meta is revealed.
Schrodinger or Heiseberg? We either can know where the muggle is or when but not both simultaneously. So we drink to see more clearly
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

sf592000 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:09 pm Long time listener, first time caller. I began attempting the Friday's CC a few months ago and have yet to come ashore -- I believe I'm on the beach for the first time -- looking forward to the answer tomorrow.
And welcome. We always like to have listeners become callers and commenters. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

And I hope that 592000 is not your birthday because it will make many of us feel really, really old. :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
sf592000

Post by sf592000 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:40 pm
sf592000 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:09 pm Long time listener, first time caller. I began attempting the Friday's CC a few months ago and have yet to come ashore -- I believe I'm on the beach for the first time -- looking forward to the answer tomorrow.
And welcome. We always like to have listeners become callers and commenters. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

And I hope that 592000 is not your birthday because it will make many of us feel really, really old. :lol:
Bob,

Thank you for the warm welcome... no need to worry 2000 being my HS class of... 😉
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good evening. Our final report has 4 on the ship with Isaac and 203 on the shore

And we welcome our three newest muggles - Seadub, Steve Harris and sf592000

Finding a spot on the crowded beach are
Billy M
KscX
stmv
ccmac
Seadub
Steve Harris
RichA2
Mary F
mitchel674
PJM
Clay D
sf592000
and seyyoung

Good luck to all and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

Just had time to do the puzzle and the meta and made it ashore. Missed the final report but had fun with both the grid and the metal this week!
Fishoutowater

Post by Fishoutowater »

And... Dry January is about to end! Not a day too soon..............
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:12 pm Good evening. Our final report has 4 on the ship with Isaac [ . . . ]
And it sure is nice and comfy here.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Schrödinger AND Heisenberg? This is like on the Addams family when Morticia spoke French! 😀
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:54 pm
Well that just makes me afraid to look for you!!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BethA wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:10 pm Schrödinger AND Heisenberg? This is like on the Addams family when Morticia spoke French! 😀
J'espere que vous etes a le meme temp le chat et ne pas le chat de M. Schrodinger, seulement parce que le chat est peut etre mort et j'aime toutes les monde mieux que cinquante pour cent!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

After looking and trying a few uncertainty principles of my own I am convinced I do have the correct answer...now all I have to do is convince Mr. Gaffney in case he thinks I do not.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Hey Dr. Tom--Stuff You Should Know just released a new podcast on Maggots and Healing. Unfortunately, I can't listen to it because my phone updated yesterday and now my Podcast Addict app doesn't work. Darn technology!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

LadyBird wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:24 pm Hey Dr. Tom--Stuff You Should Know just released a new podcast on Maggots and Healing. Unfortunately, I can't listen to it because my phone updated yesterday and now my Podcast Addict app doesn't work. Darn technology!
"Darn Technology" is right. Our phones updated the other day and now every time I leave the house I have to turn it all the way off and back on to get internet or even to just make or receive a call. My husband can go into the settings on his to turn wifi back on, but I have to turn mine off. I'm sure there's a remedy, but I'm not inclined to pursue the subject at the moment.