"Make Him From Them" - January 29, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:59 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:14 pm Well, we all seem to be singing from the same page. Since I was busy Thursday and Friday I solved the GRID today, looked at it, did some ciphering.....
I can't help seeing that and thinking of the Beverly Hillbillies...

(Paraphrasing from memory)
Jed Clampett: Jethro done graduate the sixth grade. Do some ciphering for us, Jethro.
Jethro: Okay. You want times or guzinta? Five guzinta five once, five guzinta ten twice...
Yeah! "Cipherin' some guzintas"!
Tonearm

Post by Tonearm »

Well, I'm confused about it but I've got what feels like a clear answer. I'll take it.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Hopelessly lost at sea, but as always the ship is nice. The puzzle does not suggest rabbits to me; rather, it suggests prairie dogs. I see a wide open field, and lots of prairie dogs popping up here and there. Some stand up and stay stable for a while and then disappear; others scamper about aimlessly. There are lots and lots of them, all small, all cute, all clamoring at the eye. And they lead nowhere.

These puzzles astonish me about how blind I can sometimes be. On Monday this will happen again. An artificial solace, sure to be demolished on Monday, is that I do not know a darn thing about pop singers except for one or two words that appear over and over in puzzles (like esne and etui used to), so I tell myself that if the answer is visible in the puzzle then I will not see to recognize it, but the solace is solely artificial because I simply see no mechanism (other than prairie dogs) that might reveal the answer.

Think I'll go watch Leicester City (starts in five minutes). That at least will have a result this morning.
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

otlaolap wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:54 am Hopelessly lost at sea, but as always the ship is nice. The puzzle does not suggest rabbits to me; rather, it suggests prairie dogs. I see a wide open field, and lots of prairie dogs popping up here and there. Some stand up and stay stable for a while and then disappear; others scamper about aimlessly. There are lots and lots of them, all small, all cute, all clamoring at the eye. And they lead nowhere.

These puzzles astonish me about how blind I can sometimes be. On Monday this will happen again. An artificial solace, sure to be demolished on Monday, is that I do not know a darn thing about pop singers except for one or two words that appear over and over in puzzles (like esne and etui used to), so I tell myself that if the answer is visible in the puzzle then I will not see to recognize it, but the solace is solely artificial because I simply see no mechanism (other than prairie dogs) that might reveal the answer.

Think I'll go watch Leicester City (starts in five minutes). That at least will have a result this morning.
Prairie dog metaphor very accurately describes what I am experiencing.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:23 pm
jenirvin wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:28 pm On the shore, waiting for snow.
OOH - DC in a snow storm. My favorite time and place. I remember sitting in a plane at Reagan for hours waiting to take off.
And I remember sitting for 3 hours on 95N in Woodbridge, about 20 miles south of my destination, as the normal 4 lanes of traffic turned into 7 lanes of total anarchy. My view today in Central VA is much better.
Attachments
BE683CE1-F57D-4D51-AAA9-7FD2091077D4_1_105_c.jpeg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
TomAndDenise

Post by TomAndDenise »

Ashore, we think.
Tom and Denise Greaves
North Andover, Massachusetts
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

Ashore with some little nudge from Joe. Not my favorite. The meta, not Joe.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

An active day as we have 5 on the ship and 190 on the shore. My guess is that most of those who were not sure have the right answer or else we are going to have a huge Pageant fest.

Joining the group keeping Isaac in business on the ship are
otlaolap
and Sara Dacus

Making their way to the crowded shore are
DrTom
maprasad
HunterX
Colin
Limerick Savant (I think)
Anabelle
Jaclyn
LaPetiteFlora
EVJ
Peter L
Isa
Henry Paul
Jennifer
Debbie
FirstMax
Zac most likely with Aunt Norma
JRS51
cpelster
Burak
Olaf
tonearm
Trey and Marion
TomandDenise
and Prozach

Stay warm, dry and safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

otlaolap wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:54 am An artificial solace, sure to be demolished on Monday, is that I do not know a darn thing about pop singers except for one or two words that appear over and over in puzzles (like esne and etui used to), so I tell myself that if the answer is visible in the puzzle then I will not see to recognize it, but the solace is solely artificial because I simply see no mechanism (other than prairie dogs) that might reveal the answer.
There really aren't all that many one-named singers, so unless you're a total google-phobe, you should google it and look through the list. That way you'll be likely to recognize it when you solve.
Billy M

Post by Billy M »

On shore. I checked with another muggle and oddly enough (or appropriately enough), my first mechanism was the correct one, but I was overlooking the piece that made it an elegant answer.
Colin

Post by Colin »

otlaolap wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:54 am Think I'll go watch Leicester City (starts in five minutes). That at least will have a result this morning.
For fear of a spoiler (in case you are watching it recorded) I won’t comment on the result. Suffice to say that it did have a result and was much more entertaining than my Gunners v ManU match yesterday! What a weird season... even I would sack the manager of my Fantasy team!
One world. One planet. One future.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore. Worked the grid in the car last night riding through the start of the snow, didn’t pick the meta back up, dreamed an answer that was not correct, picked it back up late morning and after a few bad paths, u-turned back to the beginning and said oh ok. Done.
Sara Dacus

Post by Sara Dacus »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:47 am Good Sunday morning muggles

An active day as we have 5 on the ship and 190 on the shore. My guess is that most of those who were not sure have the right answer or else we are going to have a huge Pageant fest.

Joining the group keeping Isaac in business on the ship are
otlaolap
and Sara Dacus

Making their way to the crowded shore are
DrTom
maprasad
HunterX
Colin
Limerick Savant (I think)
Anabelle
Jaclyn
LaPetiteFlora
EVJ
Peter L
Isa
Henry Paul
Jennifer
Debbie
FirstMax
Zac most likely with Aunt Norma
JRS51
cpelster
Burak
Olaf
tonearm
Trey and Marion
TomandDenise
and Prozach

Stay warm, dry and safe
Yes. Still on the boat. Especially frustrating since I correctly solved my FIRST MATT GAFFNEY WEEK 5 (still feel like the queen of the world the day after), but I can't get this one-and-a-half star difficulty-rated puzzle.
stmv

Post by stmv »

I wasn't able to do this meta until now due to some work stuff. I didn't immediately see it, so I used the trick of explaining how far I had gotten to my wife, when suddenly the solution jumped out at me, so now I'm safely, if belatedly, on the beach.
ccmac

Post by ccmac »

I’m on shore! Like a couple of others, I just picked this up this afternoon thinking I would never get the meta by the deadline, but it kind of jumped out at me. However, I’m not a pro at this and I’m not sure my methodology is “elegant.” But since I have an answer, I’m going to stick with it and happily submit.
Seadub

Post by Seadub »

Just joined Muggles forum. Ashore since Friday PM.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Seadub wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:49 pm Just joined Muggles forum. Ashore since Friday PM.
Welcome to the group and good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
RichA2

Post by RichA2 »

I have a solution. It isn’t elegant (and as the song goes, “If you ain’t got elegance, you can never ever carry it off”) but I am going to submit it and see what happens. Bob, count me as still at sea until I wake up tomorrow morning and find out whether I made it ashore.
mflaminio

Post by mflaminio »

On shore. Think it was easy but reading other replies, have my doubts.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

RichA2 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm I have a solution. It isn’t elegant (and as the song goes, “If you ain’t got elegance, you can never ever carry it off”) but I am going to submit it and see what happens. Bob, count me as still at sea until I wake up tomorrow morning and find out whether I made it ashore.
If you think you are on shore - any shore, even a deserted island, we count you on shore. You will not be the first to throw a hail Mary and have it caught.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director