"Endnotes" - January 22, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

FINALLY!! I see the light.

I used the short cut to get the answer a couple of days ago. So I'd been stewing over the puzzle for the last two days trying to find the elegant solution, if only as a confirmation of my answer.

My fiancée, saw me struggle all weekend. (She's been there, done that before!) I had made a new page of notes, trying to find the missing step, lining up the previous step to the last step(s). I told her what I saw, and she spotted it right away. It used a method I had tried already, but in a different way. And to a certain extent, we may have had an advantage already knowing the previous and next steps. But it was a bit of a "Duh!" (Head slap.) Yes, it turned a 95% sure answer into a 100% answer. And I kinda wish I hadn't taken the short cut. But hey, I had the answer and that's what counts.

Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel, please. For a cold winter's night. (Hot spiced cider from our favorite wine/beer/cheese/cocktail purveyors later!)

Now if only I can leverage this into getting dear, said fiancée into the meta-puzzle....
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

I believe I’m on a small boat between ship and shore. I’ve solved at least one step (1st or 2nd, I don’t know), but stumped after that.

There seems to be a piece missing to my solve and not sure what do with 68A.

Still working on it!
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Finally on the beach.
On Thursday, with about 25% of the grid completed, I discovered pieces of what I thought would allow a quick and easy path to the shore. Thinking that this was be all I would need, my knowledge of music sent me down myriad rabbit holes. I now see that what I had found was what one needs for the elegant path to the solution. I was missing the information that allows one to solve via the inelegant path, but unless you have this info, you won’t be able to solve at all. I finally found that part this afternoon.
This was truly a Shenkian work of art, and is one of my favorite puzzles, but, as one who has played piano for 60 years, I’m embarrassed it took me so long to solve.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

I am resigned to remaining with Isaac. Just don’t know where to go with some things I think I see.
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Ashore!

Needed some nudges (thanks all who helped) -- in the end, had started down the right track, but the answer didn't "jump out" like it eventually did. (I was committed to giving up until next week...)

:-)
burak

Post by burak »

I most likely am missing something but I find the answer a bit inelegant this week. Good idea though.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:32 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:29 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:21 pm

The stereo system was gone a long time ago but we have a milk carton of albums from the 60's sitting in the basement. We are still torn between my wife's spring cleaning every year and sentiment.
Wait for your basement to flood--that will make the decision for you :(
Totally safe between the dehumidifier for the summer and the perimeter drain and generator for all other weather conditions, we got it covered.

But we still don't know what to do with them
Send them to me. :D
LizD

Post by LizD »

JeanneC wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:42 pm
In Deland Florida, home of Stetson U, albums like yours are sought out by the college crowd. We also have a 19 year old great niece back east who bought a console with turntable and plays 60’s/70’s goodies. Loves the lyrics and harmony work.
[/quote]

Stopped short when I saw the name of the town where I grew up mentioned in the thread!! When driving through Stetson as a kid, my eyes always looked for Elizabeth Hall, which was my favorite (for obvious reasons). 😁
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

Alvibu67 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:41 pm I believe I’m on a small boat between ship and shore. I’ve solved at least one step (1st or 2nd, I don’t know), but stumped after that.

There seems to be a piece missing to my solve and not sure what do with 68A.

Still working on it!
I am exactly where you are. Good luck.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 28 on the ship and 160 on the shore.

and we welcome our newest muggle Alvibu67 to the clan

Keeping Isaac in business are
RichA2
Mary F
Alvibu67
and Jackie88

and on the shore are
Cindy who has been there since Thursday
David K
BeTheLight
cpelster
Inca
OGuyDave
TomandDenise
rolias
EVJ
hunkra
matty_p
Jeremy
Burak
and Henry Paul

Now back to the game. Sorry Green Bay and (soon to be) Buffalo fans
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:27 am
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:59 am
Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 am

They're really talented. If you get time, you should check them out . They release something once or twice a month. They started out paying tribute to the old Beatles, then the rest of the 60s, and have branched out. Penny Lane is great, In My Life, A Day in the Life... man, just so many. But Mr. Dieingly Sad? Who does that? And Hollies?? Oh, and Eagles' New Kid in Town. It's easy to get caught up... "Okay, time for bed...What!? They do Sultans of Swing? Okay, just one more..."
Thank you, Al! This hit me at the right time, since yesterday turned out to be 'Jackson Browne Day' (for me), when I spent a good chunk of time rediscovering his & his incomparable back-up singers' repertoire.
  • ...but I don't know if I can (walk awa-a-ay...!) open up and let you in! Here come those feelings, again...
I was in the correct mindset of the era, if not decade. The REO Brothers got some chops.

Other brothers doing covers worth hearing are Boyce Avenue. They partner with great young talent, mostly women, and the songs are modern & typically acoustic. One of my favorite talents they showcase is Jennel Garcia, whose 5'-maybe self has an incredibly gutsy voice. Their cover of Shallow is worth a listen, as is the rest of hers & their efforts.

Another Filipino phenomenon is Morissette Amon. Her music couldn't be farther from what the REO Brothers cover, but her voice & range are unbelievable and have to be heard.
Well thanks a boatload, Chet; I was supposed to go grocery shopping and instead I'm lost in YouTube land. Great stuff... I love belters (e.g., Idina Menzel, Linda Eder, Eydie Gorme and the little powerhouse from the Phillipines, Lea Salonga). And now a little payback for you. If you like good harmonies, check out Foxes and Fossils, starting with " "Don't Worry Baby" . And for another example of non-English-speaking mimicry, check out Leonid and Friends, a Russian band that does killer Chicago covers... here's "25 Or 6 to 4" . And now I've really got to go grocery shopping.
You've got every penny's worth of payback, today, Lochinvar. I haven't bought groceries and may have forgotten to feed the dog, until I remembered my son picked her up a long while ago.

A bit of harmony over which I've been obsessing (trigger warning: religiousy stuff) the last few weeks, especially the note ("here") held by top tenor from 3:35 through 3:52. Some guys know how to ride out a pandemic.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
KayW

Post by KayW »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:17 pm
A bit of harmony over which I've been obsessing (trigger warning: religiousy stuff) the last few weeks, especially the note ("here") held by top tenor from 3:35 through 3:52. Some guys know how to ride out a pandemic.
Now those are some ENDNOTES!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:17 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:27 am
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:59 am

Thank you, Al! This hit me at the right time, since yesterday turned out to be 'Jackson Browne Day' (for me), when I spent a good chunk of time rediscovering his & his incomparable back-up singers' repertoire.
  • ...but I don't know if I can (walk awa-a-ay...!) open up and let you in! Here come those feelings, again...
I was in the correct mindset of the era, if not decade. The REO Brothers got some chops.

Other brothers doing covers worth hearing are Boyce Avenue. They partner with great young talent, mostly women, and the songs are modern & typically acoustic. One of my favorite talents they showcase is Jennel Garcia, whose 5'-maybe self has an incredibly gutsy voice. Their cover of Shallow is worth a listen, as is the rest of hers & their efforts.

Another Filipino phenomenon is Morissette Amon. Her music couldn't be farther from what the REO Brothers cover, but her voice & range are unbelievable and have to be heard.
Well thanks a boatload, Chet; I was supposed to go grocery shopping and instead I'm lost in YouTube land. Great stuff... I love belters (e.g., Idina Menzel, Linda Eder, Eydie Gorme and the little powerhouse from the Phillipines, Lea Salonga). And now a little payback for you. If you like good harmonies, check out Foxes and Fossils, starting with " "Don't Worry Baby" . And for another example of non-English-speaking mimicry, check out Leonid and Friends, a Russian band that does killer Chicago covers... here's "25 Or 6 to 4" . And now I've really got to go grocery shopping.
You've got every penny's worth of payback, today, Lochinvar. I haven't bought groceries and may have forgotten to feed the dog, until I remembered my son picked her up a long while ago.

Big fan of Home Free...great harmonies and acapella
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQt9jKDCqHo
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I did not get this.

Saw a glaring clue and dug deep for 4 days trying to make something work with it.

I have what appears to be "Step 1"

But no Step 2 was clear. Hopefully I will learn from this one.

Cheers to all that solved this one in the end!
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210122 WSJCC Endnotes.gif
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

'SHORTCUT"

NOTICE THE LETTERS AT THE END OF 6 CLUES
Endnotes solution PDF JPR.png

SEE THE END LETTERS OF THEIR GRID ENTRIES & ANAGRAM 'MELODY'
Endnotes solution GRID JPR.png

𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

I did indeed take the shortcut.
burak

Post by burak »

burak wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:24 pm I most likely am missing something but I find the answer a bit inelegant this week. Good idea though.
Huh, of course I was missing something: The first step! I immediately noticed the letters in the clues and thought "OK I'll take the last letters of the answers to these clues" in the musical order: D, E, G, A, B, C. What did I get? MELDOY. It wasn't rocket science to figure out the actual answer but I was unhappy with the mechanism. It turns out the mechanism was actually pretty nice!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

I got this and posted something like “ I see it even though I am missing a step” I found the anagram of MELODY, but I thought that the letters might be in order rather than an anagram.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Welp, got step 1 and step 2 (in one rabbit hole) - never thought to look back at the clues...
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *