"Endnotes" - January 22, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 am
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:02 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:22 pm

I saw a video today from the REO Brothers - siblings from the Phillipines -- doing Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End today... blew me away. Check it out
Wow! If you close your eyes, or listen with another window up, it's hard to tell it's not the Beatles themselves. They really 37D'ed it.
They're really talented. If you get time, you should check them out . They release something once or twice a month. They started out paying tribute to the old Beatles, then the rest of the 60s, and have branched out. Penny Lane is great, In My Life, A Day in the Life... man, just so many. But Mr. Dieingly Sad? Who does that? And Hollies?? Oh, and Eagles' New Kid in Town. It's easy to get caught up... "Okay, time for bed...What!? They do Sultans of Swing? Okay, just one more..."
Thank you, Al! This hit me at the right time, since yesterday turned out to be 'Jackson Browne Day' (for me), when I spent a good chunk of time rediscovering his & his incomparable back-up singers' repertoire.
  • ...but I don't know if I can (walk awa-a-ay...!) open up and let you in! Here come those feelings, again...
I was in the correct mindset of the era, if not decade. The REO Brothers got some chops.

Other brothers doing covers worth hearing are Boyce Avenue. They partner with great young talent, mostly women, and the songs are modern & typically acoustic. One of my favorite talents they showcase is Jennel Garcia, whose 5'-maybe self has an incredibly gutsy voice. Their cover of Shallow is worth a listen, as is the rest of hers & their efforts.

Another Filipino phenomenon is Morissette Amon. Her music couldn't be farther from what the REO Brothers cover, but her voice & range are unbelievable and have to be heard.
Last edited by Joe Ross on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

DrTom wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:38 am
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:09 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:53 pm

Blinded by the light! You just got him All shook up! Sometimes you just Catch a wave and, assuming you don't Wipeout, find yourself Sitting at the dock of the bay. Other times you end up kicking like mad Just to keep from drowning. But even if you are stuck on the Love Boat or the Poseidon, There has to be a morning after and that is usually (you know what is coming) Monday Monday.
I was hoping to get you started Dr. Tom.

And I knew you weren't narrow minded, otherwise you'd tell me, "Don't Come Around Here No More." But I'd reply, "I Won't Back Down!" Then you might Breakdown and yell at me "You Don't Know How It Feels!"

And then we'd be calling you (wait for it....) Dr. Tom Petty.

(I've got 15,000 songs from over 1,000 artists in my iTunes list. So I could do this Eight Days A Week. Just sayin'.)

(But don't worry. I won't.)
Dr Tom Petty - your breaking my heart!

I know that people think I'm immune to these type of things but If I didn't care I'd just be an inkspot on the page. At least endorsey me for my Imagination. In general I like to just miller about but every once and a while A string of pearls will flow from my keyboard. I'll not put such long responses on tonight because I hurt my hand at bingo banging on the wall earlier this evening and every time I go to type I yell "Oo Ee Oo Ah Ah, ding dang" and I'm trying to be Seville about it. It is either nerves or joints so I don't know which doctor to see? (so do you have THOSE songs on your play list - I bet not!)
You would be correct, sir!
Last edited by HunterX on Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

I think you missed me Bob..#234 I am on shore...
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:23 am
tigerfly222 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:00 am
Did you know that the word "posh" is actually an acronym?
"Port Out, Starboard Home"
It refers to the location of the best seats on the ship when traveling by boat between the UK and India, in the days when that was a thing.
I'm not sure if they were considered "the best" because of the view, or because the seats would be on the shady side of the ship.
Unfortunately, that etymology is full of apocras, i.e., it’s apocraful, or do I mean apocryphal. Merriam-Webster has the full (i.e., tl;dr) story.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/help/fa ... and%20back.
Thanks for the link. While I initially thought, "There goes that story I've been telling for years," now, actually, I have a more elaborate tale to tell!
Guy

Post by Guy »

Ashore on a pre-winter storm Sunday! Going to give a Winter Pimm’s Punch a try, Isaac is great with suggestions.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:48 am
let me know how many on the shore I have missed.
You must fall asleep every 100 posts or so. I was at #102.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:59 am
Al Sisti wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:14 am
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:02 pm

Wow! If you close your eyes, or listen with another window up, it's hard to tell it's not the Beatles themselves. They really 37D'ed it.
They're really talented. If you get time, you should check them out . They release something once or twice a month. They started out paying tribute to the old Beatles, then the rest of the 60s, and have branched out. Penny Lane is great, In My Life, A Day in the Life... man, just so many. But Mr. Dieingly Sad? Who does that? And Hollies?? Oh, and Eagles' New Kid in Town. It's easy to get caught up... "Okay, time for bed...What!? They do Sultans of Swing? Okay, just one more..."
Thank you, Al! This hit me at the right time, since yesterday turned out to be 'Jackson Browne Day' (for me), when I spent a good chunk of time rediscovering his & his incomparable back-up singers' repertoire.
  • ...but I don't know if I can (walk awa-a-ay...!) open up and let you in! Here come those feelings, again...
I was in the correct mindset of the era, if not decade. The REO Brothers got some chops.

Other brothers doing covers worth hearing are Boyce Avenue. They partner with great young talent, mostly women, and the songs are modern & typically acoustic. One of my favorite talents they showcase is Jennel Garcia, whose 5'-maybe self has an incredibly gutsy voice. Their cover of Shallow is worth a listen, as is the rest of hers & their efforts.

Another Filipino phenomenon is Morissette Amon. Her music couldn't be farther from what the REO Brothers cover, but her voice & range are unbelievable and have to be heard.
Well thanks a boatload, Chet; I was supposed to go grocery shopping and instead I'm lost in YouTube land. Great stuff... I love belters (e.g., Idina Menzel, Linda Eder, Eydie Gorme and the little powerhouse from the Phillipines, Lea Salonga). And now a little payback for you. If you like good harmonies, check out Foxes and Fossils, starting with " "Don't Worry Baby" . And for another example of non-English-speaking mimicry, check out Leonid and Friends, a Russian band that does killer Chicago covers... here's "25 Or 6 to 4" . And now I've really got to go grocery shopping.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:59 am
Oh Joe, and Bird Lives + Al, thank you for the links to these talents. The Shallow cover stunned me as much as the original.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Do I go down the meta rabbit holes searching for the elegance of the solution. Or do I succumb to the musical rabbit holes in all these posts?
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Well, after consulting my psychoanalyst (Dr. Tom - - now you know his field of specialty), I was able to backstroke to shore. Something that was the very first thing I tried and discarded turned out to the the short swim; I now get the "inelegance" that folks were talking about. I can now take a look for the more elegant route, while pondering MGWCC.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

It took a couple of nudges but I am finally ashore. Will console myself for not being able to submit with a Brandy Alexander.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

#243 nlobb on shore
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

What does one do during a global pandemic? Spring cleaning in the winter of course . . . we've been cleaning out attic/basement/closets/etc for a couple of weeks now, and what did I come across? My Pioneer stereo system (with turntable) that was packed away in original packaging, and in MINT condition. Bought it in 1977. Just HAD to bust it out - - along with the three large boxes of albums. Hooked up the original JBL speakers I still had tucked away, and WOW - - it was amazing to hear the difference between vinyl and today's digital versions. Had to crank up some oldies - - Doobie Brothers; Clapton; Steely Dan; Flying Burrito Brothers; Eagles - - really took me back! Not a good day for getting rid of stuff, but I'm okay with that. :-)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles.

First a welcome to our newest muggle Lkushner. Always great to have more muggles.

Next an apology to everyone I missed yesterday- and there were several. I get sidetracked with all the sidebars which I love and miss some of those on the shore. But if missing a few muggles is the worst thing that happens, I have had a good day.

We have 28 on the ship and 146 making their way to shore either elegantly, brute force or with tugging from the life guards.

New to the ship from yesterday either for the bridge tournament, the NFL games or the company of Isaac are
Richard
Susan G
Commodore
Peter L
agatha
Henry Paul
zacmoretz and Aunt Norma
tonearm
norrin2
minnimuggle

and on the shore - including those missed yesterday are
Joe Ross - I was dazzled by the callout by Matt Gaffney on his MGWCC page
Matthew L
Powers 2020
HunterX
Dennis
meowmiao71
Jennybyrd
Hidden in 3D
Kris
Jeanrosz
KscX
tim1217
NDStegs
Nlobb
mel87
joe
our last week's mug winner Prozach
Jacksull
ccmac
Lkushner
rosiegirl
madhatter5
DBMiller
Dow Jones
flamingbear
Olof
Guy L
Isw
mbryant
tigerfly222
LLinNC
martimeryard
ladybird
CpJohnson
ImOnToo
and cbarbee002

finally if you have made it this far, we had an International Space Station lunar transit not too far from my house at 4:35:52 last evening. The seconds are necessary because it takes less a second to cross the moon so I got this composite. Totally lost to trying to find it by eye
Attachments
ISS transit.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

My tin ear has been compounded by frostbite. A nudge, please?
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Bird Lives wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:23 am
tigerfly222 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:00 am
Did you know that the word "posh" is actually an acronym?
"Port Out, Starboard Home"
It refers to the location of the best seats on the ship when traveling by boat between the UK and India, in the days when that was a thing.
I'm not sure if they were considered "the best" because of the view, or because the seats would be on the shady side of the ship.
Unfortunately, that etymology is full of apocras, i.e., it’s apocraful, or do I mean apocryphal. Merriam-Webster has the full (i.e., tl;dr) story.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/help/fa ... and%20back.
Ah, well. Maybe I won't go shopping that one around in too many circles, then. Secretly I'd like to think it's true, though.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:08 pm Good Sunday morning muggles.

finally if you have made it this far, we had an International Space Station lunar transit not too far from my house at 4:35:52 last evening. The seconds are necessary because it takes less a second to cross the moon so I got this composite. Totally lost to trying to find it by eye
Wow what a picture! I get a text from NASA whenever it is visible here. It always broadens my sense of our planet by just stepping outside and taking a look. Have you been able to see Starlink? I have not...
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Count me among those who who took the shortcut to shore. Still looking for the elegance, but for now I'll take the solve and be happy.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

KscX wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:30 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:08 pm Good Sunday morning muggles.

Wow what a picture! I get a text from NASA whenever it is visible here. It always broadens my sense of our planet by just stepping outside and taking a look. Have you been able to see Starlink? I have not...
I have not seen Starlink. I use this site to find out when the ISS is near me. https://transit-finder.com/results
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

cbarbee002 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:01 pm My Pioneer stereo system (with turntable) that was packed away in original packaging, and in MINT condition. B
Photo please! I had a Harmon Kardon back then.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!