"Endnotes" - January 22, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

boharr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:22 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:05 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:24 pm

I got the package a year and a half after I foolishly turned it down the first time.

I'll steal a friends quote and say "retirement is underrated."
Underrated indeed. I had a daughter relatively late in life and basically missed the first ten years of her life because I was ALWAYS working. Left in the morning before she was up; retuned as she was going to bed. Then there was a generous buy-out package (a year's pay lump sum, plus salary for another year while not working including the yearly bonus, and a defined-benefit pension. I felt "it was time," so I took it. And I am glad I did. I made up for a lot of lost time with her. And now she's off to college, and well, you know.......
My firm has mandatory retirement at 60, at which point I was greatly enjoying my work and would have stayed longer were it permitted. Thank goodness that they are strict in application of the retire-at-60 rule! Six years on, I couldn't be happier, especially since our first grandchild appeared a month after my retirement. The grass is definitely greener on this side of the fence. . . .
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:35 pm
Tom Shea wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:05 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:24 pm
Edit: And I really don't mind the 4:30 a.m. alarm. Closest I get is 6 a.m. to make the early dive boat, and the view makes up for the early alarm.
I was certified Naui and Padi back in the '80's. Always LOVED heading out on the boat in the morning sun.
Aaron's dive shop certified us here in Honolulu in 1990. We still dive with them after a 20 year break, but new owners -- Jack Aaron died about ten years ago. There's some youtube videos of Jack diving with Jerry Garcia and Bill Kreutzmann. Jack may have accellerated his demise with some -- a-hem -- lifestyle issues.) F&$<*@* virus made us cancel a two dive trip to the big island where diving is much better than here this time of year. Maybe next year.

I love showing them my c-card to the guys at Aaron's with the picture of that skinny young guy. The morning dive at 100' is the only good one on this side of Oahu. Can still see with good visibility and coral isn't crushed from idjits. Shallower dives are mostly dead coral (but plenty of swimming animals) and the surge can make it almost like work. Problems I can live with.
Rufus T. Firefly
Olof

Post by Olof »

On shore! Count me among the many of the sandy-toed who are pretty sure about the answer, but unsure exactly about one of the steps along the way.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I think that I am ashore. Mr. LadyBird noticed the first step and I brute forced an (hopefully "the") answer. Now to find the elegance....
Tonearm

Post by Tonearm »

Well, I have six letters, but they don't seem to form a word. A little embarrassing for this musician... Will continue to swim, I guess.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Ashore. Very confusing meta mechanism (at least to me). Can't wait for the explanation on Monday.
agatha

Post by agatha »

Completely at sea with no first step in sight. Would love to know how to start if someone is willing to drop a nudge.
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

On shore. Found the first step on Thursday, finally found the right path tonight. Very elegant, indeed.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

hounding the obvious clue for three days until having that "AHA" moment, but still at sea trying to figure out what to do with it...
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:09 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:53 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:31 pm

Think you missed me at #203.

(Or you were just too dazzled by my many, wonderful music references.)
Blinded by the light! You just got him All shook up! Sometimes you just Catch a wave and, assuming you don't Wipeout, find yourself Sitting at the dock of the bay. Other times you end up kicking like mad Just to keep from drowning. But even if you are stuck on the Love Boat or the Poseidon, There has to be a morning after and that is usually (you know what is coming) Monday Monday.
I was hoping to get you started Dr. Tom.

And I knew you weren't narrow minded, otherwise you'd tell me, "Don't Come Around Here No More." But I'd reply, "I Won't Back Down!" Then you might Breakdown and yell at me "You Don't Know How It Feels!"

And then we'd be calling you (wait for it....) Dr. Tom Petty.

(I've got 15,000 songs from over 1,000 artists in my iTunes list. So I could do this Eight Days A Week. Just sayin'.)

(But don't worry. I won't.)
Dr Tom Petty - your breaking my heart!

I know that people think I'm immune to these type of things but If I didn't care I'd just be an inkspot on the page. At least endorsey me for my Imagination. In general I like to just miller about but every once and a while A string of pearls will flow from my keyboard. I'll not put such long responses on tonight because I hurt my hand at bingo banging on the wall earlier this evening and every time I go to type I yell "Oo Ee Oo Ah Ah, ding dang" and I'm trying to be Seville about it. It is either nerves or joints so I don't know which doctor to see? (so do you have THOSE songs on your play list - I bet not!)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Having what I think is the answer without solving the last steps of the meta feels unsatisfying. Probably like picking the winning Powerball numbers and filling in the form but then failing to pull into the gas station to buy a ticket. Oh well, what’s a billion dollars (or a mug) between friends!
One world. One planet. One future.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:02 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:22 pm
HunterX wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:56 am I'm ashore.

But, I Want To Tell you, like so many others of you, I believe I took the shortcut. Need to spend some time looking for The Long and Winding Road. I'm not going to Take It Easy until I see it Come Together. Not going to wait until When I'm Sixty-Four. Sure, I see things Here, There and Everywhere and it's all kind of Helter Skelter. But no nudges, please (yet). Don't want to say I got it With A Little Help From My Friends. (I'll Carry That Weight a long time.) But if I work on it For No One but me, in The End, I'll be able to say I am a...

FREEBIRD!

(For this weekend, at least.)

Disclaimer: If Something above is actually a hint, then I'll be Shocking Blue!
I saw a video today from the REO Brothers - siblings from the Phillipines -- doing Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End today... blew me away. Check it out
Wow! If you close your eyes, or listen with another window up, it's hard to tell it's not the Beatles themselves. They really 37D'ed it.
They're really talented. If you get time, you should check them out . They release something once or twice a month. They started out paying tribute to the old Beatles, then the rest of the 60s, and have branched out. Penny Lane is great, In My Life, A Day in the Life... man, just so many. But Mr. Dieingly Sad? Who does that? And Hollies?? Oh, and Eagles' New Kid in Town. It's easy to get caught up... "Okay, time for bed...What!? They do Sultans of Swing? Okay, just one more..."
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Checking in! Pretty sure I have the solution.
Did the grid yesterday, got nothing for the meta. Despite Meta Mom's best attempts to psych me out with a gleeful overnight text message, I revisited it this morning and found my way to shore.
Once again I feel I've missed something in arriving at the solution, but I'm sure all will become clear soon enough.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 pm Whether folks solve short, long or some combination of both, as long as they enjoyed doing it that is fine. Heck if they did NOT solve short, long or some combination that is equally fine under the same constraints.

Stealing a line from a different cruise line:
For a complete non sequitur, this picture reminded me of an interesting thing I recently learned.
(This perfectly combines my inner language geek with my love of useless trivia.)

Did you know that the word "posh" is actually an acronym?
"Port Out, Starboard Home"
It refers to the location of the best seats on the ship when traveling by boat between the UK and India, in the days when that was a thing.
I'm not sure if they were considered "the best" because of the view, or because the seats would be on the shady side of the ship.

I realize that in a group of people who probably all have their own inner (or outer) language geeks, this may not come as news to anyone but me! Still, just thought I'd share.
madhatter5

Post by madhatter5 »

Ashore! I'll have milk. Chocolate.
https://pandorasblocks.org/crosswords-for-cancer
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

tigerfly222 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:00 am
Did you know that the word "posh" is actually an acronym?
"Port Out, Starboard Home"
It refers to the location of the best seats on the ship when traveling by boat between the UK and India, in the days when that was a thing.
I'm not sure if they were considered "the best" because of the view, or because the seats would be on the shady side of the ship.
Unfortunately, that etymology is full of apocras, i.e., it’s apocraful, or do I mean apocryphal. Merriam-Webster has the full (i.e., tl;dr) story.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/help/fa ... and%20back.
Jay
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Got the grid but I'm lost in the maze of rabbit holes. Can't seem to find the short cut or long version some of you mention. Nudge please
LLinNC

Post by LLinNC »

Oh, my! This was a difficult solve for me. I find that I try so hard to find tricky clues that I completely overlook the ones that are not so tricky. After a good night’s sleep and an aha moment, I am on shore! Dry January has limited my celebratory beverages, but I have discovered that ginger beer with a bit of club soda and lime is quite tasty. One more week to go!
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

On shore. Been a while since I was able to look at one of these puzzles since having a newborn a couple months ago. I tried last week's contest, and then after filling in the grid I realized I did a puzzle from October. Yeesh! :/
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Lost at sea. Norrin could use a nudge.