"I Won't Spoil The Ending" - January 15, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Still on the boat after much googling, to no avail.
Giving it one last once over.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Thank you for the nudges. I’m ashore, but wouldn’t have made it on my own. Bummed to break my streak so early in the year!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

CPJohnson wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:45 pm
JeanneC wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:57 pm
Mattbelc16 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:42 pm

We love Breckinridge in the summer!
15 day round trip cruise to four main Hawaiian islands out of San Francisco. Did it 5 years ago and loved it. Afternoon tea, Bridge and trivia on cruise days. Wonderful classical music mini concerts. 4 cruise days each way. Surprisingly affordable and adult.
Which cruise line, please?
Sorry for the delay. Princess Cruises.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

In spite of "caving" and finally checking out a nudge from a "super friendly" muggle, I am
STILL ON THE SHIP.
I'm all googled out and fractured on fairy tales at this point, so say goodnight, Gracie! :D
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Phew! My last "once over" worked! On shore!
Nice one...
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

I do not care for the accommodations on this ship, nor do I enjoy Isaac's company. But on this ship I, a film lover, find myself, confused and rueful and wondering who's flirting with my cabana boy on the shore.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

20210115 WSJCC I Wont Give Away the Ending.png
Last edited by Joe Ross on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

mikeh wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:02 pm I do not care for the accommodations on this ship, nor do I enjoy Isaac's company. But on this ship I, a film lover, find myself, confused and rueful and wondering who's flirting with my cabana boy on the shore.
A friendly nudge got me to shore, with two minutes to spare! Goodbye Isaac, hello cabana boy!
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

BTW, did anyone else see BATHEMAGGOT and think BABE MAGNET and get lost going down that road?
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

I did indeed!
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

The swim of shame. Back to boat for me. Did anyone else submit Bambi? I thought answer would end in “I” then the iambic pentameter thing. Female deer in there too etc etc.but it never completely gelled. Love the solution. Good work to all you code crackers
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

I quickly realized that this meta would take extensive research to complete so I cast the puzzle aside and moved on to more pleasurable pursuits for my weekend. When I saw the answer I have no regrets.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:49 pm
michaelm wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:44 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 am I thought everyone might be amused by the email I just received re: a meeting at the historic house where I volunteer:

"Thursday at 2:00 for our budget meeting. Wendy, we will get you home by 4:00."

http://www.primitivehall.org/index.html
I have 4 pm doctor appointment Thursday.
Sure my pulse and blood pressure will be high because of FOMO!
Any readings taken at that point would automatically be invalid in my case!
Wendy, in the barn at Primitive Hall do they have Primitive Oates?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well I tried to see if I could mess it up some how and come up with a typically odd answer but I couldn't, the mechanism was just too tight. However, I did learn a valuable lesson, do not just haphazardly Google movies on the Internet...for instance there is a movie called "Coming To" that I managed to find and though I did not watch it I now want to buy a scarf.....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

mikeh wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:02 am BTW, did anyone else see BATHEMAGGOT and think BABE MAGNET and get lost going down that road?
I never got far enough to go down a wrong road.
I am a man of few...
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

This was a very clever mechanism that I didn't see right away but eventually got.

Initially I was thinking it would be a 5 letter animated movie (eg shrek, bambi)

"Coming to" was the first thing that set me down the rabbit hole that showed me the answer. (great movie by the way, watched it again this year)

But I couldn't think of a popular animated movie called "A B _ G S"

I shook my fist at Gaffney after realizing he couldn't spoil the ending.
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

mikeh wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:02 am BTW, did anyone else see BATHEMAGGOT and think BABE MAGNET and get lost going down that road?
I thought maybe the first part of the answer belonged at the end and it was " MAGGOT BATH" with a leftover "E"

I can't think of a movie where that's a thing that people want to watch... :D
* 2022 WSJ Mug Winner - I bask in its Glory *
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Was never gonna get it. Sigh.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I was stumped by HE GOT GAME for a while. I wanted it to be THE something. So I tried backsolving, but I was thinking BOURNE IDENTITY (despite Matt's warning to be careful on that one). With that misstep, I had the letters A B I _ S...aha! The letters would anagram to SIMBA and the answer would be the Lion King. Only when I went back and heeded the warning about BOURNE did I see the mistake and HE GOT GAME jumped right out at me. Really liked it!