"I Won't Spoil The Ending" - January 15, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I finished the puzzle yesterday and am going stir crazy today... My husband suggested I plan a long trip for later when it's safe someday!!! Any favorite suggestions?
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Count me out this week. I haven't a clue!
Mattbelc16

Post by Mattbelc16 »

I got it. What a cool puzzle. Good luck, everyone!
Mattbelc16

Post by Mattbelc16 »

Nlobb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 pm I finished the puzzle yesterday and am going stir crazy today... My husband suggested I plan a long trip for later when it's safe someday!!! Any favorite suggestions?
We love Breckinridge in the summer!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

michaelm wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:44 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 am I thought everyone might be amused by the email I just received re: a meeting at the historic house where I volunteer:

"Thursday at 2:00 for our budget meeting. Wendy, we will get you home by 4:00."

http://www.primitivehall.org/index.html
I have 4 pm doctor appointment Thursday.
Sure my pulse and blood pressure will be high because of FOMO!
Any readings taken at that point would automatically be invalid in my case!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Nlobb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 pm I finished the puzzle yesterday and am going stir crazy today... My husband suggested I plan a long trip for later when it's safe someday!!! Any favorite suggestions?
Do you like mountains? or beaches? US or international?
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Spent Wednesday and Thursday without power due to windstorm. Finished grid quickly...now working on Meta...and beating my head against the wall....oh well Isaac is making good strong drinks
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

and that quickly, the aha moment. now Ashore.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

KscX wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:44 pm PSA: for any WSJ subscribers out there, if you haven’t taken advantage of the WSJ+ cooking classes we recommend them! A little late for east coast dweller dinners (8 pm), but really fun for cooks and it’s a great way to have someone else plan your dinner. Cooking along with a pro makes you feel like you are on a cooking show. Great pandemic diversion. The next one is this Tuesday, Jan 19th. https://www.wsjplus.com/invites/slow-f ... l_US010820
Thanks for the tip! I especially like it since I will pass it on to my fiancée, who would do the cooking. My role is purely Quality Assurance.

And... Oh that we could start cooking by 8pm any weekday! We are involuntarily European in that we eat really late. Working from home only seems to make it easier to continue working until you realize you should have shut down hours ago.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

International!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:49 pm
michaelm wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:44 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 am I thought everyone might be amused by the email I just received re: a meeting at the historic house where I volunteer:

"Thursday at 2:00 for our budget meeting. Wendy, we will get you home by 4:00."

http://www.primitivehall.org/index.html
I have 4 pm doctor appointment Thursday.
Sure my pulse and blood pressure will be high because of FOMO!
Any readings taken at that point would automatically be invalid in my case!
Wendy at the meeting as it approaches 4 pm
Attachments
tenor.gif
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Made it ashore finally, without any nudges.
I had a great round of golf this morning - Phoenix weather is perfect right now! I was lying back to take a nap when the mechanism popped into my head. Coffee now and an ice cold Manhattan in a little while.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

SusieG wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:46 pm
Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:33 pm This one is eluding me but I refuse to give up. I keep staring at it, but may now try the walk away approach.
Hope the walk away approach worked for you. I tried that earlier. I’m trying it again now. I did have fun remembering some animated movies that I saw with my kids when they were little.
Thanks. Hasn’t worked yet and time is dwindling. But yes, I have had the same experience with the movies.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:32 am Good morning muggles. Our report is a bit early today as it is too nice not to go for a walk

One reminder in case you missed it - the WSJ will not be published tomorrow so the meta answer will not be published until Tuesday but I am sure that the solution will be posted here after midnight and the post mortems will be here tomorrow (thanks to the red underlines, I won't be getting PM's from the editors and English teachers as I want to put a "u" in mortem, the don't cut engineers any slack)

On a positive note we a new muggle - tonearm

And we have 21 on the ship and 147 on the shore

Getting to shore both by swimming and with a tow are
Tom S

Good luck to all
Bob, I am definitely on the boat with Isaac. (unless there's another Tom S in Muggleville -- it's hard to keep track without a spreadsheet nowadays.)

Thankfully literally on shore in Waikiki. Our neighbors said 15" snow at the house in VT yesterday, with another foot predicted today. I won't complain about the 75 degree rain here.
Rufus T. Firefly
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Good Grid! Staring at it, but seeing nothing yet.
Enjoying football snacks with Isaac.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I am declaring myself ashore, even though I’m scratching my head at how I got there. Hope to see all the gang at the tiki bar.

Tom Shea, I am quite envious!
Ann

Post by Ann »

On shore! Great puzzle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Tom Shea wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:00 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:32 am Good morning muggles. Our report is a bit early today as it is too nice not to go for a walk

One reminder in case you missed it - the WSJ will not be published tomorrow so the meta answer will not be published until Tuesday but I am sure that the solution will be posted here after midnight and the post mortems will be here tomorrow (thanks to the red underlines, I won't be getting PM's from the editors and English teachers as I want to put a "u" in mortem, the don't cut engineers any slack)

On a positive note we a new muggle - tonearm

And we have 21 on the ship and 147 on the shore

Getting to shore both by swimming and with a tow are
Tom S

Good luck to all
Bob, I am definitely on the boat with Isaac. (unless there's another Tom S in Muggleville -- it's hard to keep track without a spreadsheet nowadays.)

Thankfully literally on shore in Waikiki. Our neighbors said 15" snow at the house in VT yesterday, with another foot predicted today. I won't complain about the 75 degree rain here.
sometimes my hands type Shore when my eyes see Ship

The storm Friday went north through ski country in NH and VT. no snow on the ground here in southern NE

Enjoy the warm weather
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Commodore wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:30 pm Good Grid! Staring at it, but seeing nothing yet.
Enjoying football snacks with Isaac.
Are you practicing hitting the goal posts(both left and right)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Nlobb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:26 pmInternational!
We were supposed to go to Italy and France last year. Travel both internationally and domestically has been put on the shelf for 2021 :x
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director