"I Won't Spoil The Ending" - January 15, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
LizD

Post by LizD »

Thanks to a nudge, I am now ashore.

I'm disappointed to have broken my streak with this puzzle, which I should have gotten but my brain just wouldn't see it, and no amount of banging my head against the clipboard was going to help.

Pride goeth before the nudge? Now for some coffee and an aspirin. 😝
Attachments
C40EA956-FCDC-4AA9-9C1F-49156AFBF43F.jpeg
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

After numerous nudges I am finally on shore.
I was basically pushed and towed all the way so won’t be submitting. This one was just hard to see.
Good luck to everyone else.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Okay, if anyone is willing to send a nudge our way we would be very appreciative!
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore. A satisfying way to start the day. Enjoying a little Country Gold on WNCW as all western NC dwellers should. Off to sled before approaching the day like a grown-up.
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Hi Bob, I'm this NC solver ashore! Very fun. Liked the grid and the Meta very much!
LizD

Post by LizD »

KscX wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:20 am Ashore. A satisfying way to start the day. Enjoying a little Country Gold on WNCW as all western NC dwellers should. Off to sled before approaching the day like a grown-up.
Where in WNC? I'm in Franklin!
I don't have an inner child... I have an inner old lady. :geek:

Meta solver by night, proud independent bookstore owner by day!
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Hi Bob, I'm this NC solver ashore! Very fun. Liked the grid and the Meta very much!
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

On shore after staying with Isaac last week. Had help from husband, who figured out the meta.
TeamDoubleTow

Post by TeamDoubleTow »

Thanks to help from Cap'n Rick and Wendy Walker and an offer from Boharr I think we are safely ashore. Definitely not in our wheelhouse.
Team DoubleTow=Ali who posts here, Alex & Maya the hound(with occasional assistance from son)
Olaf

Post by Olaf »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:02 pm Good Friday morning muggles

The tenders bringing muggles to shore have been very busy with 86 on the shore and 5 hanging with Isaac.

I have been wondering

if the people who got this easily have had children or grandchildren around to see animated movies
or
how many people like me have not seen an animated movie for 30 years and are clueless and having to slog their way through with extensive use of google.
I have little kids and I think it definitely helped to be familiar with vast array of animated movies. I don’t think I would have gotten this without that background. I don’t have the patience to spend too much time banging my head against the wall with these. I tend to just give up if I don’t fell like I am on to it relatively quickly.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good morning muggles. Our report is a bit early today as it is too nice not to go for a walk

One reminder in case you missed it - the WSJ will not be published tomorrow so the meta answer will not be published until Tuesday but I am sure that the solution will be posted here after midnight and the post mortems will be here tomorrow (thanks to the red underlines, I won't be getting PM's from the editors and English teachers as I want to put a "u" in mortem, the don't cut engineers any slack)

On a positive note we a new muggle - tonearm

And we have 21 on the ship and 147 on the shore

Joining the growing crowd on the ship are
Heidi
Cynthia J
Susan G
RichA2
Colin
Jennybyrd
whimsy
madhatter5
flyingMoose
joes
TeamDoubleTow
otlaolap
and Frank

Getting to shore both by swimming and with a tow are
jeanrosz
Tom S
DrTom
ImOnToo
zacmoretz - probably with help from Aunt Norma
Hamrock
b4alltime
Janet P
Sarasotasun
Fishoutowater
Nlobb
phofer
cbarbee002
mpmanning
MaineMarge fresh out of the penalty box
jennifer
Isw
rosiegirl
David K
Cap'n Rick
KscX
Paul D
Dom
Cindy N
Big Mac
halseymac
tonearm
EVJ
and Liz D

Good luck to all
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I thought everyone might be amused by the email I just received re: a meeting at the historic house where I volunteer:

"Thursday at 2:00 for our budget meeting. Wendy, we will get you home by 4:00."

http://www.primitivehall.org/index.html
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Currently at sea...
Richard

Post by Richard »

On shore.

I needed to Google quite a bit and got some help.

Richard
KscX

Post by KscX »

PSA: for any WSJ subscribers out there, if you haven’t taken advantage of the WSJ+ cooking classes we recommend them! A little late for east coast dweller dinners (8 pm), but really fun for cooks and it’s a great way to have someone else plan your dinner. Cooking along with a pro makes you feel like you are on a cooking show. Great pandemic diversion. The next one is this Tuesday, Jan 19th. https://www.wsjplus.com/invites/slow-f ... l_US010820
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:48 am I thought everyone might be amused by the email I just received re: a meeting at the historic house where I volunteer:

"Thursday at 2:00 for our budget meeting. Wendy, we will get you home by 4:00."

http://www.primitivehall.org/index.html
I have 4 pm doctor appointment Thursday.
Sure my pulse and blood pressure will be high because of FOMO!
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

I finished the puzzle yesterday and am going stir crazy today... My husband suggested I plan a long trip for later when it's safe someday!!! Any favorite suggestions?
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Count me out this week. I haven't a clue!
Mattbelc16

Post by Mattbelc16 »

I got it. What a cool puzzle. Good luck, everyone!
Mattbelc16

Post by Mattbelc16 »

Nlobb wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:50 pm I finished the puzzle yesterday and am going stir crazy today... My husband suggested I plan a long trip for later when it's safe someday!!! Any favorite suggestions?
We love Breckinridge in the summer!