"I Won't Spoil The Ending" - January 15, 2021

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SeanS wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:13 am Looks like I'm hanging with Isaac this week. First time checking in this year so happy new year fellow muggles-- I hope my fellow Pennsylvanians got their pork and sauerkraut on the first.

My younger sister recently started writing for the US version of The Spectator magazine and wrote an article about PA Dutch food traditions (including, of course, Shoo-Fly Pie).

Unfortunately that one isn't published on their site yet but here's the rest of her work so far for anyone who may be interested- she's pretty funny: https://spectator.us/author/mary-kate-skehan/
"I love my hobbies too — knitting, reading, complaining — but his all seemed a bit much."

Ooh! She is going to be a great read. Thank you, Sean, and Happy New Year!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

On Shore! I guessed the answer early on, but it took some googling to be sure.
Sara
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:19 am
Scott Medvetz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:20 am
LadyBird wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:53 pm Ashore is a GReat thing to sAY--only a few rabbit holes! I am GOing straightAWAY to the tiki bar since it is closing in a BIt. I'll have a nice tankaRD of mead, I think.

26232058_10212702023604179_159953556403711604_o.jpg
I was told where to go by a great many of these on our South African safaris in 2019. So grateful we got our act together and went when we did!
When you say "I was told where to go"--did you do an independent driving safari? I'm not sure that I would be adventurous enough for that! The only time we could walk about on our own was in camp during daylight hours.

I imagine that you are very glad that you planned your trip for 2019 and not 2020! Alas for us, we SHOULD be boarding our ship in Ushuaia today.
We drove from Capetown along the Garden Route to Hermanus, DeHoop Nature reserve (Morukuru Beach Lodge is fantastic in every way), Knysna, and finally to Port Elizabeth. From there we flew to Kruger and did guided safaris at Arathusa in Sabi Sands and Kapama Buffalo Camp. Here's my shot of a one-eyed lion that I took from about four feet away. I'm happy he was full from eating half a warthog before he got that close to our vehicle.
Attachments
3C3AD6A6-0C3C-43C6-95CD-FA80FA84C24D_1_105_c.jpeg
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles

The tenders bringing muggles to shore have been very busy with 86 on the shore and 5 hanging with Isaac.

I have been wondering

if the people who got this easily have had children or grandchildren around to see animated movies
or
how many people like me have not seen an animated movie for 30 years and are clueless and having to slog their way through with extensive use of google.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

Puerto Vallarta here I am, on shore and ready to go.
No dry January for this household.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:02 pm Good Friday morning muggles

The tenders bringing muggles to shore have been very busy with 86 on the shore and 5 hanging with Isaac.

I have been wondering

if the people who got this easily have had children or grandchildren around to see animated movies
or
how many people like me have not seen an animated movie for 30 years and are clueless and having to slog their way through with extensive use of google.
I just don't understand how anyone could guess the answer without working their way through the entire puzzle. I've certainly seen this "well known animated movie", but I'm not sure that matters until you've solved the other pieces. But maybe my brain is just too analytical to see the forest for the trees.

Thinking back to AP English last week, even if you had a hunch the answer could be "synonyms", wouldn't you have to solve basically every step to get there? Surely nobody just saw APRON and "protective covering" and immediately shouted "SYNONYMS!", right?? Or at least couldn't be certain at that point?
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

If Matt had wanted to be a real jerk, he should've made the answer AVATAR or THE AVENGERS, just to mock those "live action" movies for being 90% animated :)
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

I'm on the shore! Trying to get a better record in 2021. I hope you all have a great weekend.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I too am safely ashore. Looking forward to enjoying the new snow on the ground, so I can celebrate with a nice cup of hot chocolate!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Joepickett wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 pm Really can't give her a good reason why you need to know the difference of cubes formula.
I hate teaching that crap.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:16 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:02 pm Good Friday morning muggles

I have been wondering

or
I just don't understand how anyone could guess the answer without working their way through the entire puzzle. I've certainly seen this "well known animated movie", but I'm not sure that matters until you've solved the other pieces. But maybe my brain is just too analytical to see the forest for the trees.

Thinking back to AP English last week, even if you had a hunch the answer could be "synonyms", wouldn't you have to solve basically every step to get there? Surely nobody just saw APRON and "protective covering" and immediately shouted "SYNONYMS!", right?? Or at least couldn't be certain at that point?
My preference is to come up with a logical reason for my answer. Others will throw up a Hail Mary and submit it. Sometimes they are correct.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
PQ63

Post by PQ63 »

Ashore. Not my favorite but fun nonetheless. Since it’s still morning I’ll have a Bloody Mary.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

C=64 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:45 pm
Joepickett wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 pm Really can't give her a good reason why you need to know the difference of cubes formula.
I hate teaching that crap.
33 years of teaching math and I have never once taught the Difference of Cubes formula.
Franklin.Bluth

Post by Franklin.Bluth »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:47 pm My preference is to come up with a logical reason for my answer. Others will throw up a Hail Mary and submit it. Sometimes they are correct.
If I did that I would've thrown out APOSTROPHE last week. Started with AP, fit with English class, and the 8 AP-words in the grid contained its missing letters (i.e. the 8 letters OSTROPHE could be anagrammed out of the 8 AP words with 1 letter per word).

FRANKINCENSE was a Hail Mary for me, except after coming up with it I saw it in the grid.

That's four in a row for me...I expect the losing streak to begin next week :)
Prozach

Post by Prozach »

On the shore.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

I’m on the boat, and I expect to be here all weekend. I don’t think I have the knowledge base to do this one.
Cynthia
Henry Paul

Post by Henry Paul »

Franklin.Bluth wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:17 pm If Matt had wanted to be a real jerk, he should've made the answer AVATAR or THE AVENGERS, just to mock those "live action" movies for being 90% animated :)
Well, there goes my first guess.... (JK) :-)

Per usual, hanging with Isaac and thinking that those numbers are trying to trick me somehow...
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

KDubs wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:26 pm This was a level of genius I’ll never understand. Well done, Mr. Gaffney!
In other words, if we feel even a hint of cleverness when having solved them, the creators should experience a rush many times that!
tori.l

Post by tori.l »

Took me a long time but I *think* I got it.
cinemagical

Post by cinemagical »

On shore very quickly this week. Helped quite a bit that one of my passions was central to finding the solution. A clever puzzle from Mr. Gaffney -- though for folks like me, it may have bordered on the obvious...
~ Adam 8-)